Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 11:50 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,289,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant79 View Post
It's actually two different types of pizza. Oregano's does the stuffed pizza while Lou's does deep dish, which to borrow a term from Chicago style pizza haters, isn't as casserole-ish as stuffed. Lou's is probably my favorite deep dish place from back east, in large part due to their crust. And for what it's worth, Oregano's stuffed pizza is okay, but not great IMHO. The crust is a big reason for that...just not a fan. I can't wait until Giordano's opens out here, which was one of my top three stuffed pizza places from Chicago.
Oregano's does deep dish, stuffed and thin crust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 02:44 PM

445 posts, read 516,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Oregano's does deep dish, stuffed and thin crust.
Gotcha. Didn't realize they did deep dish as well. I'll have to give it a shot and see how they do.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:10 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,632,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Same with pizza. To me Chicago pizza is all hype and unless one is needing to reminice about home there's no reason to stand in a line. If a pizza actually takes 40 minutes to cook then it's wayyyy to thick, more like a pizza casserole.
It is huge hype. I went there with coworkers from Chicago to see what all the hype was about. I was disappointed. The pizza is like a casserole and is honestly kind of bland. It feels like someone poured a can (or three) of chunky tomato sauce on top of a basin of a bread and cheese with some toppings scattered in. I much prefer New York pizza. It's simple, doesn't require 40 minutes just to cook, and someone still manages to have much more flavor than the Chicago casserole style. If I'm going to be eating as many calories as I'm sure this casserole pizza has, I'm going to need for it have some taste.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:50 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,093,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Same with pizza. To me Chicago pizza is all hype and unless one is needing to reminice about home there's no reason to stand in a line. If a pizza actually takes 40 minutes to cook then it's wayyyy to thick, more like a pizza casserole.
I'm with you. We had it in Chicago when we lived there and thought it was way over hyped. However, if you say that, you're told you're a crazy person who just doesn't know anything.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:13 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,328,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I'm with you. We had it in Chicago when we lived there and thought it was way over hyped. However, if you say that, you're told you're a crazy person who just doesn't know anything.

Every city and region has its own specialty. Cincinnati has the Cincinnati-style chili, St. Louis the toasted ravioli, etc. All the locals can't wait for newcomers to try the specialties and then get upset when they don't share the same passion for it.

In that I lived in Chicagoland for 15 years, I had the deep dish pizza twenty times throughout the city. The ONLY one that I thought was excellent was Edwardos but even that one was just too much to eat.

What I find ironic on these local favorites is that the ones hyped most on foodie boards are RARELY the best versions of the local specialty but rather the more internet savvy restaurant operators.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:26 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,049,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
From the backyard oven. White Pizza w/spinach

Anybody been to Lou Malnatis yet?-2016-05-04-17.05.54.jpg

Old 05-30-2016, 07:39 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,751,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Every city and region has its own specialty. Cincinnati has the Cincinnati-style chili, St. Louis the toasted ravioli, etc. All the locals can't wait for newcomers to try the specialties and then get upset when they don't share the same passion for it.

In that I lived in Chicagoland for 15 years, I had the deep dish pizza twenty times throughout the city. The ONLY one that I thought was excellent was Edwardos but even that one was just too much to eat.

What I find ironic on these local favorites is that the ones hyped most on foodie boards are RARELY the best versions of the local specialty but rather the more internet savvy restaurant operators.
Do people from Chicago realize that nobody else ever says "Chicagoland"? It always sounds silly when I hear it. Or a unifying label for area car dealers. (Not a big "Valley of the Sun" fan either but that's another discussion.)

Old 05-30-2016, 08:38 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,328,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Do people from Chicago realize that nobody else ever says "Chicagoland"? It always sounds silly when I hear it. Or a unifying label for area car dealers. (Not a big "Valley of the Sun" fan either but that's another discussion.)

It is frequently used in advertising to refer to Chicago and the six collar counties. If that offends you, sorry.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:30 AM

483 posts, read 666,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I'm also not a fan of "Chicagoland". Having lived in "Chicagoland" for a few years, every time I hear that word I expect someone to try to sell me a car.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:49 AM

597 posts, read 669,018 times
Chicagoan's certainly eat Chicago-style stuffed pizza - all those places that make it wouldn't survive on tourists alone. But, I'm betting that for the average Chicago-area resident, it's not an everyday food (like every time they get pizza, they get stuffed or deep dish). It didn't seem to be when I lived there for 10+ years. There's great New York style pizza in Chicago, as well as the Chicago "tavern style" (thin crackery crusts, cut into squares), and the slightly thicker, less crackery, but still thin style that's also cut into squares (Giordano's thin crust, for example; about similar to Oregano's thin crust). I think people eat these other styles as much as they do stuffed pizza. For, me it's necessity - stuffed or deep dish is just too much. Prepared right, it can be flavorful, but it's just sits HEAVY in my stomach. I usually love pizza and beer and it's much better to drink beer, IMO, with less heavy pizza.

But, it's always good to have options so no matter where I live, I'd want the option to have stuffed pizza, even if I only want to eat it once a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area