Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 07:08 AM

4 posts, read 2,584 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I did read some scary stories about renting places in PHX area and I wanted to ask some questions...
I will be moving to PHX from abroad and looking for a place to live.
Problem is that I have no references (haven't lived in the US, ever); no credit rating (same reason), but I will have a job secured (and I'm a permanent resident too). Do you thing it will be hard to find a decent 1 bd apartment? What should I expect and what could I do to make it easier?
Also, any recommendations as to which areas have good options ? I'd work in North Scottsdale and I don't want a really long commute. I don't need good schools, I don't have kids, but would prefer to be close to a lively area with stuff to do. (shops, bars, clubs)
Um, I am also unsure how to get a driving license... I cannot swap my current (foreign) license for an AZ one, and as far I understand it, I need to have a car for the test, but buying a car would mean that I have to have insurance and for insurance, I need a license... I am utterly confused, what am I missing?

Cheers & Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 08:06 AM

720 posts, read 735,970 times
Ok first things first you can get your international license - you can drive with this for a while - International Driving Permits Worrying about signing a year's lease for an apartment in my opinion is too premature for you now ... no commitments - just get the job, get the rental car, and find a monthly furnished apartment (either via vrbo, etc.) close to work, acclimate yourself to the area and see what best works for you.

Best of luck!

Old 07-15-2016, 09:36 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,456,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochaz View Post
Ok first things first you can get your international license - you can drive with this for a while - International Driving Permits Worrying about signing a year's lease for an apartment in my opinion is too premature for you now ... no commitments - just get the job, get the rental car, and find a monthly furnished apartment (either via vrbo, etc.) close to work, acclimate yourself to the area and see what best works for you.

Best of luck!

No, on that driving permit link. Follow the links and look at the info. That is for US residents to get a permit to drive abroad, not the other way around. The instructions specifically state it's not valid for driving in the US.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:46 AM

I can get an international permit from my home country, though I am not sure if it will be accepted by the MVD in Arizona... I will try to find info about this, thanks.

As for the a monthly apartment, that's an option too, but my contract is for 3 years and I would prefer to get a more permanent place from the start... I am just not sure that landlords will have me I am hoping that a letter from my employer with my salary would do the trick + a liability insurance.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:15 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,369,619 times
My guess off the top of my head is that the larger apartment management companies are most likely to have anyone with any experience or idea of how to handle your situation. I know Mark Taylor communities get suggested a lot on here, there's also Equity Residential which is one of the biggest apartment complex owners in the country, they have a lot of properties as well. It's possible they might have had international residents before.

But ultimately money talks so I would think the more money you're willing to pay upfront, the more people would be willing to rent to you regardless of your lack of credit or rental history.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:15 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,506,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdoraBelle View Post
Hi all!

I did read some scary stories about renting places in PHX area and I wanted to ask some questions...
I will be moving to PHX from abroad and looking for a place to live.
Problem is that I have no references (haven't lived in the US, ever); no credit rating (same reason), but I will have a job secured (and I'm a permanent resident too). Do you thing it will be hard to find a decent 1 bd apartment? What should I expect and what could I do to make it easier?
Also, any recommendations as to which areas have good options ? I'd work in North Scottsdale and I don't want a really long commute. I don't need good schools, I don't have kids, but would prefer to be close to a lively area with stuff to do. (shops, bars, clubs)
Um, I am also unsure how to get a driving license... I cannot swap my current (foreign) license for an AZ one, and as far I understand it, I need to have a car for the test, but buying a car would mean that I have to have insurance and for insurance, I need a license... I am utterly confused, what am I missing?

Cheers & Thanks!
What specific scary stories have you read about renting in the Phoenix area?

Old 07-23-2016, 07:40 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,284,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdoraBelle View Post
I'll answer this part of your post. If you work in north Scottsdale, just about anywhere in that vicinity would be highly recommended, although generally more expensive than other areas. I personally recommend Kierland, which is actually on the Phoenix side, but is often referred to as north Scottsdale. Kierland would probably have much of what you're looking for in a "lively area with shops, bars, and clubs". It's not as popular as Old Town for that sort of thing, but it would be closer to your job, and not that far of a commute to Old Town.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
What specific scary stories have you read about renting in the Phoenix area?
Well, that you cannot get approved for a decent place, if you don't have credit rating and / or recommendation, mainly.

@Valley Native thank you, I will look into it!

Old 07-26-2016, 04:40 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,335,525 times
If you can pay the required "up-front" money for an apartment (security deposit, first month's rent in advance) and you have a letter verifying your employment in the area, I can't imagine a rental company turning you down. The worst they could do is ask for more than one month in advance. Am I correct in understanding from your post that you've never had a credit card issued in the country you live in now? You pay cash for everything?

Old 07-26-2016, 10:39 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,477,319 times
If you want to live near bars, restaurants, clubs, and want to live in a walkable neighborhood that is pretty close to North Scottsdale I highly suggest you look into old town Scottsdale. What's your price range?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area