Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 08:12 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,656,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
You really need to get out more. It is a suburb in the Phoenix metro area, hardly the middle of nowhere. Describing anything in the Phoenix metro area as "middle of nowhere" is ridiculous.
If your idea of getting out more means going to Buckeye, AZ, I think I'll stay in. LOL! It's on the far outskirts of town. Just because it's close to your far west city doesn't mean it's central to anything. It's WAY out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 08:27 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,231,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
If your idea of getting out more means going to Buckeye, AZ, I think I'll stay in. LOL! It's on the far outskirts of town. Just because it's close to your far west city doesn't mean it's central to anything. It's WAY out there.
Lol, it not being "central to anything" is in no way the same thing as being "middle of nowhere".

By get out more I mean you need to see the other 98% of the United States so you'll understand what "middle of nowhere" actually is.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:53 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,344,991 times
LBTRS -

Really - Buckeye (and Casa Grande where I am at) are both the same distance to downtown Phoenix as Oceanside is to downtown San Diego - but for some reason they are considered middle of nowhere.

I am not suggesting that many people are interested in living in these locales while the infill development in between is not yet complete - but I wouldn't consider them the middle of nowhere and the original point of this post was to show that that infill to the west is beginning to happen.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:14 PM

Middle of nowhere was an obvious exaggeration, but Buckeye is WAY out there and does border nothingness. It's a disservice to newcomers to paint these far out areas as convenient to anything other than basic shopping and possibly a couple restaurants.

Last edited by DetroitN8V; 09-14-2016 at 09:49 PM..

Old 09-14-2016, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
LBTRS -

Really - Buckeye (and Casa Grande where I am at) are both the same distance to downtown Phoenix as Oceanside is to downtown San Diego - but for some reason they are considered middle of nowhere.

I am not suggesting that many people are interested in living in these locales while the infill development in between is not yet complete - but I wouldn't consider them the middle of nowhere and the original point of this post was to show that that infill to the west is beginning to happen.
Poor analogy. Oceanside is way far out from San Diego but it has a helluva lot more going for it than Casa Grande or Buckeye - the obvious reason most wouldn't consider Oceanside "the middle of nowhere".

Old 09-14-2016, 09:34 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,968,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Lol, it not being "central to anything" is in no way the same thing as being "middle of nowhere".

By get out more I mean you need to see the other 98% of the United States so you'll understand what "middle of nowhere" actually is.
Is that 98% as trendy as Buckeye?

Old 09-14-2016, 09:45 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,344,991 times
Quote:
Poor analogy. Oceanside is way far out from San Diego but it has a helluva lot more going for it than Casa Grande or Buckeye - the obvious reason most wouldn't consider Oceanside "the middle of nowhere".
OK - let's take the ocean view out of the equation - Escondido, CA to Downtown San Diego.

Again, I get it - that 10 miles of empty between Buckeye and the beginning of the current "metro" or the 25 miles of Indian Reservation from CG to Chandler make it seem far more distant - but especially in the Buckeye case, that will not be a forever situation - and my view is the merge will be complete sooner than many think - as I think the OP was pointing out.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:57 PM

31 posts, read 30,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Nothing about any of this sounds appealing.... paving over more land, further enhancing the heat island, more sprawl, more master planned communities. I'd so much rather see us focused on density then continuing the sprawling march of "progress."

Except I-11, connecting Vegas to Phoenix through a legit freeway is good.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
OK - let's take the ocean view out of the equation - Escondido, CA to Downtown San Diego.

Again, I get it - that 10 miles of empty between Buckeye and the beginning of the current "metro" or the 25 miles of Indian Reservation from CG to Chandler make it seem far more distant - but especially in the Buckeye case, that will not be a forever situation - and my view is the merge will be complete sooner than many think - as I think the OP was pointing out.
But what will that infill comprise of? Generic houses on tiny lots, big box retailers and Applebees? That doesn't make them any less distant from the Valley's desirable spots.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:35 AM

9,768 posts, read 11,176,921 times
Quote:
But what will that infill comprise of? Generic houses on tiny lots, big box retailers and Applebees? That doesn't make them any less distant from the Valley's desirable spots.
No question about it. There are plenty of chain restaurants and box stores all across the Valley. At the same token, there are several non chains spots. Does Scottsdale have more? Yep. When you continue to roll up the area with a broad stroke and say generic houses, box stores, and Applebee's it shows your ignorance of the area OR you having some sort of superiority complex. We do agree that Buckeye Arizona is out there.

Trade offs trade off trade offs coupled with priorities. I get why people want to live close to Chandler for instance. That's where a lot of the high-tech jobs are. I get why people want to live in Scottsdale. There's a tremendous amount of restaurants and shopping and it is more Central. I get why people want to live in Buckeye because they want to be away from the traffic and have farm land or ranches. I also understand that some people like newer infrastructure versus the less than ideal the central Corridor of Phoenix which are 1950s to 1970s boxy old homes without character.

As I mentioned before, I live in my house 20 out of 24 hours a day because I work out of the home. My trade-off is I want room.. If my caliber of neighborhood or home was in Scottsdale, I would have to add another half a million. I also personally need the trade-off of dodging super hot and super cold weather. I value the trade-off of living under my means debt free and money in the bank. In a perfect world, I would pick San Diego. Hell, let's go for La Jolla on the ocean on Black Gold Drive! But I am missing a zero after my net worth.

I too predict you live where you live balancing your compromises, priority and budgets. Not many people in the world would pick Scottsdale as the number one choice to live. People with real money own their second third and fourth home in the Hills. So there is no need to apply your priorities to other people and diss them. Maybe I'm reading you wrong. But you come off as trying to sound better than other people based off of where you live. As if I personally care about ANY shopping other than box stores. A lot of people could not care less. If they did, hundreds of independent businesses would set up shop in the western burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area