Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 07:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
But what will that infill comprise of? Generic houses on tiny lots, big box retailers and Applebees? That doesn't make them any less distant from the Valley's desirable spots.
Desirable to whom? Desirability is in the eyes of the beholder, no?

Of COURSE it will be generic homes on tiny lots etc etc etc but that describes most of the recent valley expansion both east and west.

FWIW, Gilbert to Downtown, 29 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 08:42 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
No question about it. There are plenty of chain restaurants and box stores all across the Valley. At the same token, there are several non chains spots. Does Scottsdale have more? Yep. When you continue to roll up the area with a broad stroke and say generic houses, box stores, and Applebee's it shows your ignorance of the area OR you having some sort of superiority complex. We do agree that Buckeye Arizona is out there.

Trade offs trade off trade offs coupled with priorities. I get why people want to live close to Chandler for instance. That's where a lot of the high-tech jobs are. I get why people want to live in Scottsdale. There's a tremendous amount of restaurants and shopping and it is more Central. I get why people want to live in Buckeye because they want to be away from the traffic and have farm land or ranches. I also understand that some people like newer infrastructure versus the less than ideal the central Corridor of Phoenix which are 1950s to 1970s boxy old homes without character.

As I mentioned before, I live in my house 20 out of 24 hours a day because I work out of the home. My trade-off is I want room.. If my caliber of neighborhood or home was in Scottsdale, I would have to add another half a million. I also personally need the trade-off of dodging super hot and super cold weather. I value the trade-off of living under my means debt free and money in the bank. In a perfect world, I would pick San Diego. Hell, let's go for La Jolla on the ocean on Black Gold Drive! But I am missing a zero after my net worth.

I too predict you live where you live balancing your compromises, priority and budgets. Not many people in the world would pick Scottsdale as the number one choice to live. People with real money own their second third and fourth home in the Hills. So there is no need to apply your priorities to other people and diss them. Maybe I'm reading you wrong. But you come off as trying to sound better than other people based off of where you live. As if I personally care about ANY shopping other than box stores. A lot of people could not care less. If they did, hundreds of independent businesses would set up shop in the western burbs.
I don't fault anyone for living where they do. Just quit taking offense when people point out that your exurbs are far out from the core of the valley. Own it. You live on the far edges of town. Surprise, Buckeye, Casa Grande (not sure that's even metro Phoenix) and others border nothingness and are verging on isolated, with the exception being access to generic stores and restaurants. You like it, cool. Quit being offended.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:02 AM

9,744 posts, read 11,165,585 times
Quote:
I don't fault anyone for living where they do. Just quit taking offense when people point out that your exurbs are far out from the core of the valley. Own it. You live on the far edges of town. Surprise, Buckeye, Casa Grande (not sure that's even metro Phoenix) and others border nothingness and are verging on isolated, with the exception being access to generic stores and restaurants. You like it, cool. Quit being offended.
People with a brain can read a map. They should grasp that Gilbert as well as Buckeye are far from the center of the town. For me, Buckeye is too far out and not enough infrastructure. What I deem as essential others don't. I seriously don't care about shops. ZERO, Nada, nothing. Neat restaurants with a Cool vibe is what I think is missing in most of the western Burbs. Again many people don't care. I eat out often so that would be something I would like more of. My priorities are different than your priorities. All things being equal, I'd like to pull up my home which is anything but cookie a cutter neighborhood and be more central. But for me, not at $500k more. If I worked out of the house,maybe I would take the trade off of a smaller and older design. So I "own it". Each night, I go to bed and sleep like a baby realizing that my town of 125000 people has more infrastructure and restaurants then 95% of towns around the country. Plus even in good old Surprise Arizona, my standard of living is in the top couple percent in comparison to around the world. Chain restaurants dashed with cool ones in combination with more than adequate shopping for ME. Maybe not for you. I feel fortunate to live here and especially dodging the heat and cold with a change of scenery.

My broader point is for whatever reason, you seem a tad bit pompous and not grasping why people don't prioritize the way you do. You have a condescending tone using words like box stores, Your themed phrases like. Applebee's, cookie cutter houses blah blah blah. We both know we can point to several neighborhoods in your town that are less than ideal and neither one of us would ever want to live in.

So yes. I "own it". LOL As in literally too (my house). Hint: people are proud of their decision. But you want to correct them how wrong they are. If I got you all wrong, I apologize. But that's how I've been reading your words. So we're clear, I really do like Scottsdale :-)
Carry on....

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 09-15-2016 at 11:14 AM..

Old 09-15-2016, 11:04 AM

586 posts, read 541,621 times
I chose Estrella for my winter home. I very rarely eat out. Spend my days golfing and attend at least a couple sporting events a week. All of the Coyotes, Suns, and Cardinals are about 30 minutes from my house. I have a Nicklaus designed golf course 2 minutes from my house. I have a small amenities area in my hood with Safeway, McDonalds, Walgreens, Subway and a few others. My Community center has a play pool, lane swimming, Lake with boats, and a fitness center all included with my HOA's for about $90 a month. And the best part my 5 year old 2100 sq/ft 3 car garage home cost me $210K a few years ago. Tell me again what I'm missing from the "Desirable Areas"? There are thousands of people living happy lives that do not desire to be where you want them to be.
Quote:

Old 09-15-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
People with a brain can read a map. They should grasp that Gilbert as well as Buckeye are far from the center of the town. For me, Buckeye is too far out and not enough infrastructure. What I deem as essential others don't. I seriously don't care about shops. ZERO, Nada, nothing. Neat restaurants with a Cool vibe is what I think is missing in most of the western Burbs. Again many people don't care. I eat out often so that would be something I would like more of. My priorities are different than your priorities. All things being equal, I'd like to pull up my home which is anything but cookie a cutter neighborhood and be more central. But for me, not at $500k more. If I worked out of the house,maybe I would take the trade off of a smaller and older design. So I "own it". Each night, I go to bed and sleep like a baby realizing that my town of 125000 people has more infrastructure and restaurants then 95% of towns around the country. Plus even in good old Surprise Arizona, my standard of living is in the top couple percent in comparison to around the world. Chain restaurants dashed with cool ones in combination with more than adequate shopping for ME. Maybe not for you. I feel fortunate to live here and especially dodging the heat and cold with a change of scenery.

My broader point is for whatever reason, you seem a tad bit pompous and not grasping why people don't prioritize the way you do. You have a condescending tone using words like box stores, Your themed phrases like. Applebee's, cookie cutter houses blah blah blah. We both know we can point to several neighborhoods in your town that are less than ideal and neither one of us would ever want to live in.

So yes. I "own it". LOL As in literally too (my house). Hint: people are proud of their decision. But you want to correct them how wrong they are. If I got you all wrong, I apologize. But that's how I've been reading your words. So we're clear, I really do like Scottsdale :-)
Carry on....
I get not wanting to live right in the middle of the city or seeing value in living further out (affording a second home, living near family, peace and quiet, etc.). I also understand the opposite and know it from the other angle. My house would be worth half as much if it were in Surprise or elsewhere, but to me, there's value in living where I do. The value isn't there for everyone.

I'm not faulting anyone for living wherever the hell they want. I was simply correcting one poster that said that the construction in the west valley no longer means that Buckeye is far out. It is and it always will be. Living on the edge of town is fine for a number of reasons for many people. Let's just quit making excuses. These cities far from downtown, from the valley's best restaurants, shopping, attractions, etc. That means nothing to some people, which is fine, but it doesn't make it any less true.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:00 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
Quote:
I get not wanting to live right in the middle of the city or seeing value in living further out (affording a second home, living near family, peace and quiet, etc.). I also understand the opposite and know it from the other angle. My house would be worth half as much if it were in Surprise or elsewhere, but to me, there's value in living where I do. The value isn't there for everyone.

I'm not faulting anyone for living wherever the hell they want. I was simply correcting one poster that said that the construction in the west valley no longer means that Buckeye is far out. It is and it always will be. Living on the edge of town is fine for a number of reasons for many people. Let's just quit making excuses. These cities far from downtown, from the valley's best restaurants, shopping, attractions, etc. That means nothing to some people, which is fine, but it doesn't make it any less true.

So since you're further from PIR, Westgate, UofP Stadium, Vegas, California, etc. that makes you "far out"? Buckeye is closer to some things than you are in Scottsdale. I and many others have no desire to be near downtown Phoenix, Scottsdale or Mesa. Buckeye is closer to everything that is important to me and my family. Buckeye ISN'T far out to anything in my opinion.

Buckeye is where/what it is. It, along with Gilbert, Queen Creek, Apache Junction, Cave Creek, Carefree, Anthem, North Scottsdale, Fountain Hills, etc. are further away from some things yet closer to other things that are just as appealing. Funny you never bring up those east valley cities.

We get it, you like where you live. Your views and posts about this subject are always disparaging and never in a positive tone.

Quote:
Middle of nowhere was an obvious exaggeration, but Buckeye is WAY out there and does border nothingness. It's a disservice to newcomers to paint these far out areas as convenient to anything other than basic shopping and possibly a couple restaurants.
Maybe you don't know your own city...Scottsdale borders "nothingness".

I grew up in Idaho, Buckeye is "convenient" to anything the valley has to offer. What is a disservice is to assume that everyone wants the same thing you want and continuously post the negative posts you make about the subject. I had never been here before I moved here and was able to look at a map and see where Goodyear was located in the valley. No need to have you tell me how bad the location is. It, Buckeye and the other cities listed above are great locations for some people.

Last edited by LBTRS; 09-15-2016 at 02:22 PM..

Old 09-15-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
So since you're further from PIR, Westgate, UofP Stadium, Vegas, California, etc. that makes you "far out"? Buckeye is closer to some things than you are in Scottsdale. I and many others have no desire to be near downtown Phoenix, Scottsdale or Mesa. Buckeye is closer to everything that is important to me and my family. Buckeye ISN'T far out to anything in my opinion.

Buckeye is where/what it is. It, along with Gilbert, Queen Creek, Apache Junction, Cave Creek, Carefree, Anthem, North Scottsdale, Fountain Hills, etc. are further away from some things yet closer to other things that are just as appealing. Funny you never bring up those east valley cities.

We get it, you like where you live. Your views and posts about this subject are always disparaging and never in a positive tone.
The Nascar track and Glendale? Come on. Not exactly selling points.

If you think calling a far out city, far out is disparaging, that's on you. You can interpret things how you choose. Not only is it far out, but factually, it is the western most city in the Phoenix metro area. That's a fact that you can't argue. Hell, isn't it 25 minutes or so further west from where you are?

It may be the greatest place on earth, but it's far removed from the metropolitan area it is a part of. You can't argue that.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Maybe you don't know your own city...Scottsdale borders "nothingness".

I grew up in Idaho, Buckeye is "convenient" to anything the valley has to offer. What is a disservice is to assume that everyone wants the same thing you want and continuously post the negative posts you make about the subject. I had never been here before I moved here and was able to look at a map and see where Goodyear was located in the valley. No need to have you tell me how bad the location is. It, Buckeye and the other cities listed above are great locations for some people.
Right, you can get out into the boonies in far north Scottsdale as well. I never said all parts of this 30+ mile long city are centrally located. It is limited by mountains, however.

I made no assumptions about what people want out of a location. I simply stated the fact that Buckeye is a somewhat isolated city on the far edges of town. It is. If that's what someone wants, I don't care nor am I trying to stop them.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:32 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
Quote:
The Nascar track and Glendale? Come on. Not exactly selling points.

If you think calling a far out city, far out is disparaging, that's on you. You can interpret things how you choose. Not only is it far out, but factually, it is the western most city in the Phoenix metro area. That's a fact that you can't argue. Hell, isn't it 25 minutes or so further west from where you are?

It may be the greatest place on earth, but it's far removed from the metropolitan area it is a part of. You can't argue that.
The NASCAR track is in Avondale, not Glendale. It may not be a selling point to you or me but it is to some. No, Buckeye is not 25 minutes further west from where I am. I can be in Buckeye in two minutes and I live in Goodyear. You can be to downtown Phoenix from Buckeye in 25 minutes assuming traffic isn't an issue.

That is kind of my point, you make a lot of posts about the "far west valley" but you don't seem to know much about it when it comes to facts.

Last edited by LBTRS; 09-15-2016 at 02:42 PM..

Old 09-15-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
The NASCAR track is in Avondale, not Glendale. It may not be a selling point to you or me but it is to some. No, Buckeye is not 25 minutes further west from where I am. I can be in Buckeye in two minutes and I live in Goodyear. You can be to downtown Phoenix from Buckeye in 25 minutes assuming traffic isn't an issue.

That is kind of my point, you make a lot of posts about the "far west valley" but you don't seem to know much about it when it comes to facts.
I know where PIR is. I've been there. That's why I said, "the Nascar track AND Glendale".

For some reason I thought you were near Palm Valley. You must live on the far western edge of Goodyear. Here is what I was thinking. Palm Valley to the center of Buckeye is 25 minutes away:

Furthermore, to get to downtown Phoenix from the center of Buckeye in 25 minutes you'd need to travel at 89mph the entire way. Not happening. It looks like a 45 minute trek minimum.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area