Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 09:53 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,477,739 times

Advertisements

North Scottsdale and paradise valley. I guess Old Town scottsdale too...but it's not so much the people who live in old town as it is the people who like to go out in old town scottsdale. When I list these areas I am not saying that EVERY PERSON is materialistic/fake...these areas just seem to have more materialistic people than other parts of the valley. Having said that..the materialistic/"fake" vibe in Scottsdale is NOTHING compared to Orange county/the materialistic parts of LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 09:47 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,776,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGregorShow View Post
What areas of Phoenix to avoid to avoid fake materialistic people. I heard Scottsdale but all of scottsdale can't be like that. Is it more near the north?
YES!!!! I'd say definitely Scottsdale and North Phoenix. Ew lived there for two years and just about lost hope in humanity and I'm in the medical community so that says a lot.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:57 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,776,053 times
Now after reading the same ole "it's the attitude you bring" and "this could be said of any city" I'll chime in and say a solid NO. I've lived in several major cities across this country including NYC and even those millionaires do not hold themselves like the folks do (mostly the women) in north Scottsdale. They do not act like they are special because they know darn well there is always someone who is better and that success takes sacrifice. I never understood how the people in North Scottsdale seemed to think they were some prilidged elite group when in reality there are many cities in this country who would easily sweep them under the rug in every wealth category.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:58 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,313,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGregorShow View Post
What areas of Phoenix to avoid to avoid fake materialistic people. I heard Scottsdale but all of scottsdale can't be like that. Is it more near the north?
There are these types of humans everywhere and cannot be completely avoided when going out in public or living in an area with neighbors and humans.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:45 PM

594 posts, read 700,014 times
Default Wrong !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
Now after reading the same ole "it's the attitude you bring" and "this could be said of any city" I'll chime in and say a solid NO. I've lived in several major cities across this country including NYC and even those millionaires do not hold themselves like the folks do (mostly the women) in north Scottsdale. They do not act like they are special because they know darn well there is always someone who is better and that success takes sacrifice. I never understood how the people in North Scottsdale seemed to think they were some prilidged elite group when in reality there are many cities in this country who would easily sweep them under the rug in every wealth category.
I'm from California, grew up San Diego, lived all over L.A.
There are VERY few places that can match North Scottsdale and Paradise Valley wealth.
Heck, Scottsdale Fashion mall made the top 10 in America with the mall in Jersey as number one.
Please do your research.........PLEASE !

Old 11-16-2016, 07:44 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,664,859 times
Quote:
I've never experienced any of this. People seem down to earth for the most part. Do you have any examples of what people have done that would lead you to believe this way? Have people made offensive comments to you?

Old 11-16-2016, 09:18 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,977,341 times
Quote:
I spend most of my time in north Scottsdale and Ive NEVER had a problem with the crap you're describing. Ever. I go to the restaurants. I go to the shops. I attend the shows. Heck, I even go to the elite car shows where the ultra rich bring their million dollar cars to show off, and guess what? They're the most down-to-earth people you can imagine. They will sit there and talk with you about their cars for hours on end if you let them. And if you think they're somehow not wealthy, youre SORELY mistaken. The median home value up there hovers around $600K, with homes up to 25 million. That's as exclusive as you'll find just about anywhere. Same goes for PV.

I think your perceived notion of snobbery (or "prilidged" as you call it) is completely out of whack.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:54 AM

586 posts, read 542,571 times
I would try the moon, as the people are describing are in every City and neighborhood on Earth.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:05 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,369,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
I would try the moon, as the people are describing are in every City and neighborhood on Earth.
I don't know Bates, I heard the social graces have really cratered up there lately...

Old 11-16-2016, 01:29 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,288,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
The median home value up there hovers around $600K, with homes up to 25 million. That's as exclusive as you'll find just about anywhere. Same goes for PV.

You might wanna look around a bit Where I grew up in Mission Viejo, $600K gets you next to nothing. My parents still have a house they rent out there and it is a basic 1970 era 2-story, average lot, 2200 Sq Ft and would probably fetch over $800K (MV is kind of a plain jane community for the area, surrounded by much more wealthy communities). Right across the freeway there is Toll Brothers new construction going on in Aliso Viejo area and the BASE prices are $2.4M, before lot premiums, upgrades, landscaping etc so those are tract new builds going for $3M (I think they're all basic 2-story houses too, which is not as desirable). You won't see base prices in the $600K-$700K range like you do in Scottsdale for the same builder. THAT to me is exclusive. But yes, there is money here, especially those that have a house in Scottsdale that they live in only 70-90 days a year and call it their "pool house"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area