Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 09:24 AM

77 posts, read 112,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
what you are citing is a criminal act committed by illegal immigrants who enter without visas.
Yes, that is what I am citing because it's a fact. There is further distinction between improper entry and unlawful presence as you point out, but it is inaccurate to simply say "illegal immigration is civil". Improper entry is criminal. Unlawful presence is civil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 09:32 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,988,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyf View Post
Yes, that is what I am citing because it's a fact. There is further distinction between improper entry and unlawful presence as you point out, but it is inaccurate to simply say "illegal immigration is civil". Improper entry is criminal. Unlawful presence is civil.
A lot of illegal immigration takes place via unlawful presence. Therefore, not criminal.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:56 AM

77 posts, read 112,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
A lot of illegal immigration takes place via unlawful presence. Therefore, not criminal.
Just stop. That's not what you initially said. You were wrong. I didn't ridicule you or call you a dummy. You provided misinformation. I corrected it not to attack you personally, but to make sure that whoever read it didn't go on and continue to propagate misinformation. Yes, I am aware of unlawful presence. You didn't distinguish between entry and presence in any way. You said "It should be pointed out that federal immigration law is Civil not Criminal." And then you went on to talk about identity theft, as if that was the only way to incur a criminal penalty. Wrong. You could have admitted that you were wrong instead of trying to backpedal and make it seem like you were partially right or like I misunderstood you or that I'm wrong. I am not wrong in any way. Stop putting this on me. You were wrong. Just admit it instead of acting like a child "but I was kinda right . . . " I'm done with this conversation and will not be reading this thread any further. Do a little research next time before trying to cite legal fact and don't be so sensitive. After all, being wrong is civil, not criminal.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:01 AM

50,532 posts, read 47,308,240 times
Nearly impossible for someone to just "be here" without breaking another law. They'd have to have someone taking care of them, paying their way so to speak. Almost impossible.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:17 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,988,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyf View Post
Just stop. That's not what you initially said. You were wrong. I didn't ridicule you or call you a dummy. You provided misinformation. I corrected it not to attack you personally, but to make sure that whoever read it didn't go on and continue to propagate misinformation. Yes, I am aware of unlawful presence. You didn't distinguish between entry and presence in any way. You said "It should be pointed out that federal immigration law is Civil not Criminal." And then you went on to talk about identity theft, as if that was the only way to incur a criminal penalty. Wrong. You could have admitted that you were wrong instead of trying to backpedal and make it seem like you were partially right or like I misunderstood you or that I'm wrong. I am not wrong in any way. Stop putting this on me. You were wrong. Just admit it instead of acting like a child "but I was kinda right . . . " I'm done with this conversation and will not be reading this thread any further. Do a little research next time before trying to cite legal fact and don't be so sensitive. After all, being wrong is civil, not criminal.
You're missing a lot of nuance and frankly I don't care enough to get into this with you.

Improper entry is not illegal immigration. Identity theft is not illegal immigration. Federal Immigration Law is under a civil title, it's a civil matter. You are citing criminal acts committed by illegal aliens. It's not the same thing as what I said. The laws governing the handling of illegal immigration are civil laws. Acts that illegal immigrants commit can be criminal, but that doesn't change the fact that the overarching title is a civil title.

It's splitting hairs it doesn't matter this much to get all worked up over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area