Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 11:47 AM

26 posts, read 28,869 times

Advertisements

Some people like to say things like, "We are a nation of immigrants! It goes against the American way to close the border or deport immigrants!"

This is a tainted argument as it leaves out the one word that counts. "Legal" immigration is the American way. Being documented and taking the legal path to citizenship is the American way. If you were born elsewhere but came here and became a citizen (or are documented and waiting to become a citizen) then you are not an illegal immigrant.

There is a tremendous difference between allowing someone into the country who takes the path to citizenship vs someone who just walks in.

Every country has a border. Every country has rules and laws regarding its existing citizens. Every country has rules and laws for those who wish to become a citizen. If we allow non-citizens to just show up, then there is no law, and ultimately, no country.

The powers that be who are pushing for illegals to stay, and for more to come through, are pushing an agenda for globalism. Most of the people who cry out in defense of illegal immigration have not idea what they are talking about, and usually don't even consider the difference between legal or illegal immigration.

Our country is in big trouble.

As someone who is hoping/planning to move to the valley, this news of possibly making Phoenix a sanctuary city is very disturbing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 09:45 PM

166 posts, read 115,479 times
So did Mayor Stanton have a change of heart since he called President Trump's executive orders a divisive attack on Latinos in Phoenix and around the country? He also said that he would fight the federal government's attempt "to turn the Phoenix Police Department into a mass deportation force." Here is the article: Phoenix mayor criticizes President Trump's executive orders - ABC15 Arizona
I hope I am allowed to post this link.

Sheriff Penzone calls illegal immigrants our "guests."

So, I hope it is correct that Phoenix is not becoming a sanctuary city. This is not about race or ethnicity for me. I would feel this way if it was Canadians or people from any other country coming here illegally. We have laws that need to be enforced. I am not opposed to legal immigration. As some of the other posters said, there is a difference between illegal and legal.

Former AZ Governor Jan Brewer was on TV recently. She said that of her annual $9 billion budget as governor, $2 billion was spent on services to illegals. That is one year in just one state. Sounds like quite an economic impact.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:55 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,178 times
I thought this was a joke at first but it appears it actually was for real. The same Phoenix who has ICE knocking on doors and sending the illegal immigrants back?! Chyeahhh right.

Phoenix can try to do what it wants but Arizona is not going to change its stance and if anything th Feds will come down harder on the city of Phoenix.

I'm all for immigrants. Some of the greatest people I know have immigrated here with hard work, determination and an attitude that when there's a will, there's a way. I just can't support those who don't contribute to this country but want to take from other American citizens who do contribute.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:00 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Phoenix is 15% foreign born in 2015.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:41 PM

249 posts, read 188,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Unfortunately, there's just one word to describe this fiasco . . .

STUPIDITY.

I agree, totally preposterous!
We left California for Arizona and this was 1 of the reasons.
Here I thought we left all the stupid liberal crap behind in California where illegals and all their little bambinos are given clout over legal citizens. But it looks like some of that is making its way over here sorry to say.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:43 PM

249 posts, read 188,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
How typical... you want to justify atrocities and genocide your ancestors condoned and committed so you can cherry-pick which laws to follow as long as they favor you. It seems in your eyes, it was okay that happened because Natives did battle each other (often for land and resources). Say, was it okay for Hitler to persecute Jews because others before him also did it? Was it okay for Americans to enslave Africans, because Europeans and Arabs did it too? According to your logic, the answer would be yes. While you seem to be insinuating Natives were savages, many tribes had laws, which your ancestors violated. So, please understand why a lot of people consider you people to be racist when you say such stupid things.

And as I have to remind you time and time again, it's very hard for people to twist things on me: this isn't about wars, it's about perceived occupation of land. You brought up war now for some reason, when this debate is about interlopers being on land occupants feel they shouldn't be. Regardless of Natives having fought each other, whites still took their lands, then selfishly felt no one else was deserving of what they had stolen, including you. I know, you'll counter with "I don't care as long as they do it legally", which is a bit curious when conservatives also vehemently oppose any compromise, including guest worker programs. It's also hard for you to stand by that claim when conservatives have made legal immigration next to impossible. It's also interesting that perfectly legitimate American businesses make their money by selling US citizenship by providing care to expectant mothers to have anchor babies, most of whom are not of Mexican descent, yet conservatives fixate on Mexicans.

Lol, why don't ya move to fruity nutty California? You'd be a perfect fit over there, especially in LA LA land or San Francisco.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:30 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindance maggie View Post
Lol, why don't ya move to fruity nutty California? You'd be a perfect fit over there, especially in LA LA land or San Francisco.
Now that's what I like to see! A mature response that really contributes to this conversation.

Old 02-04-2017, 02:46 AM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
Now that's what I like to see! A mature response that really contributes to this conversation.
You aren't much better, just don't like somebody with different political views. How difficult is it to follow the law? California and the west coast is the result of your inferior open door policies on the southern border whether you like it or not.

The moment Phoenix becomes a sanctuary city, vote out the mayor and get one in there so he/she can reverse such policy.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:52 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
You aren't much better, just don't like somebody with different political views. How difficult is it to follow the law? California and the west coast is the result of your inferior open door policies on the southern border whether you like it or not.

The moment Phoenix becomes a sanctuary city, vote out the mayor and get one in there so he/she can reverse such policy.
Well, I did pose the question which you have willingly ignored. How hard is it? Drag yourself back to Europe and leave this soil back to its rightful owners... or get over yourself and realize that the entire history of the Americas (again, get over yourself and consider everything from Alaska to Argentina) is immigration.

How exactly is California a failure and Arizona a success? I don't seem to recall anyone saying they need to emulate the Arizona model, because it just works (it doesn't, and no one looks to this place as an example of what to do). California on its own would be one of the top economies in the world, while Arizona suckles more from the federal government's teat than it puts back in, and has a lackluster economy on par with a banana republic. California prices reflect its desirability, while Arizona's reflect its mediocrity (supply and demand, if you consider yourself a true capitalist). I'm sorry if you, like many others in Arizona, have some pathological inferiority complex in comparison to California, either because it spit you out here or because you need people to justify why you can't expect better of yourself than to make it beyond Arizona, but that really is your problem. I really would like to know what Arizona is doing right, considering there's a huge budget shortfall on account of tax cuts, a teaching shortage crisis, a humiliating economy for a city the size of Phoenix, decreasing access to services, increasing crime... shall I go on? What exactly is this success you think Arizona boasts?

Old 02-04-2017, 10:27 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
I'm all for securing the border, but blaming illegal immigrants as the root cause of our various problems is overblown and incorrect.

There are about 300-325k illegal immigrants in the Phoenix area, out of a total about 4.6M people... which ... 325K/4.6M = 7%.
You're saying they're a major problem if they're only 7% of the entire population of the Phoenix metro area?

How about a bigger problem: 27% of Phoenix residents hold a Bachelor's degree or higher. Only 8 or 9% or so of those 27% hold graduate degrees (MS, PhD). Now that's a much bigger problem we have, dumb people not studying.
I agree that illegal immigration is by no means the most important problem in our country, nor is it even our main economic problem, specifically. However, in response to your post: opening the doors to illeglal immigrants will only increase the number of individuals in the US (or Phoenix, specifically) without advanced degrees. If you are very concerned with educational attainment (and perhaps IQ), it probably makes sense to oppose indiscriminate immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area