Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 08:49 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
SLC? No way. I don't like it there. Reno is nice, but I cant imagine being much in the way of jobs. The main reason we settled on PHX was for the wife's medical issues, which her doctors said the climate here would help rid her of some pain. Plus, we had family here, so it was a no-brainer for us. When I retire, I'm planning somewhere around the Santa Fe area.
Ever consider Sacramento?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 09:04 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
My problem is that I love the Sonoran Desert, and PHX is the only place in the SW worth living in, IMO. I actually far prefer New Mexico's scenery and climate to AZ's, but there are quite literally no jobs there, and I know absolutely no one who lives there, so we settled on AZ, despite my hatred for extreme temps.
I didn't know a soul when I moved here, it didn't affect my decision to move here in the least. I don't need that I guess. And to live near family? Also not important at all.

I originally wanted to move south back in 2001 but I was married at the time and my spouse didn't want to be too far from his family, so we opted to move just 3 hours away instead of 2000 miles like I really wanted. My dad knew I really wanted to move someplace warm and said "you need to go where YOU want to go, don't stay someplace for someone else, not even family. You need to think of yourself and your life." Too bad I couldn't take his advice then! Instead it took me 12 years and dumping the dead weight I was married to!

Old 03-16-2017, 09:58 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,049,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I ask myself this pretty much daily. Why live in the hottest major city in the US if you don't like the heat? That would be like me moving to Alaska and complaining about the cold and snow. The cool thing about this country is that you can get pretty much any climate you want from tropical, to desert, to rainy, to forest, mountains, etc. Pick what you like and move there!
Answer: A lot of people move where it will help along their career. I'm not being critical of them- it's just a fact for some.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:01 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,969,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Ever consider Sacramento?
Nope. ZERO interest in CA minus San Diego.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:03 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,969,862 times
Quote:
I didn't know a soul when I moved here, it didn't affect my decision to move here in the least. I don't need that I guess. And to live near family? Also not important at all.

I originally wanted to move south back in 2001 but I was married at the time and my spouse didn't want to be too far from his family, so we opted to move just 3 hours away instead of 2000 miles like I really wanted. My dad knew I really wanted to move someplace warm and said "you need to go where YOU want to go, don't stay someplace for someone else, not even family. You need to think of yourself and your life." Too bad I couldn't take his advice then! Instead it took me 12 years and dumping the dead weight I was married to!
That's great for you, but I wouldn't move some place where I didn't know a soul. It just seems to alien to me. I prefer to be close to friends and family, but not too close.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:44 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Answer: A lot of people move where it will help along their career. I'm not being critical of them- it's just a fact for some.
I get that, but the best job in the world could be in Buffalo, NY and I wouldn't move there, no matter what. NO WAY. (actually I was offered the chance at a great opportunity in Buffalo once now that I type that. I didn't even consider it for one moment!)

My personal happiness means more to me than a career. I can get a job most anywhere, so why not someplace that I actually enjoy living?

Old 03-16-2017, 11:17 AM

8,044 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:
I get that, but the best job in the world could be in Buffalo, NY and I wouldn't move there, no matter what. NO WAY. (actually I was offered the chance at a great opportunity in Buffalo once now that I type that. I didn't even consider it for one moment!)

My personal happiness means more to me than a career. I can get a job most anywhere, so why not someplace that I actually enjoy living?
I definitely agree about personal happiness, but I can't understand how a person can be happy with a slack job, little ambition, and struggling to make ends meet. The attitude about "getting a job most anywhere" is basically saying, "yeah, I can work a low wage job, but I don't care about my career, just as long as I can worship the sun." That kind of mentality is one of the reasons why the Phoenix area generally lacks ambitious, business oriented people, and why the pay scales tend to be on the low side compared to other major cities. I've found that many who are here only for the weather/climate don't contribute very much to the economy or making it a better place.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:34 AM

226 posts, read 227,537 times
Sure, you can get any job anywhere. McDonald's, Home Depot and Burger King are always hiring, among others. Now if you would rather sacrifice your income and financial well being to live in a place that you enjoy and that brings you personal happiness... so be it, I guess.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:38 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,281,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
Sure, you can get any job anywhere. McDonald's, Home Depot and Burger King are always hiring, among others. Now if you would rather sacrifice your income and financial well being to live in a place that you enjoy and that brings you personal happiness... so be it, I guess.
I get what both sides are saying. I am living here to make more money and save more money, but plan to return to an area I prefer. But I don't look at Phoenix as "hell", I simply prefer Summer highs in the 80's, not 110's, but I don't let the high temps keep me indoors either. I would still put the Phoenix area in the top 5 cities I cared to live in, just not #1. In other words, if I could make 300% more but I had to move to North Dakota, that isn't happening. Phoenix is a step down from where I want to live, but not a huge step.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:41 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,778,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I can't think of any career that would be enhanced more in Phoenix than many other places. The reverse is also true.

Last edited by JohnSoCal; 03-16-2017 at 11:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area