Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 11:59 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,663,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevendustz View Post
Dont get upset. Stick to subject.

I say extend tent city. Use other county jails for better use. Big money saved. You favor criminal rights it seems not saving money. Why?
Upset? I'm not the one making things up in a desperate attempt to prove a flawed argument. Since you're so hung up on it, prove that your plan makes more fiscal sense than what the sheriff has decided to do. As if used jails are in such high demand for alternative uses. Come on man, it's laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 12:12 AM

11 posts, read 7,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Upset? I'm not the one making things up in a desperate attempt to prove a flawed argument. Since you're so hung up on it, prove that your plan makes more fiscal sense than what the sheriff has decided to do. As if used jails are in such high demand for alternative uses. Come on man, it's laughable.
Used jails are just buildings. Renovate. Simple. Long run money saved. Buildings renovated all the time. Common sense says tent jail cheap to build and mantain. Cooling expense alone big savings. Low maintenance cost. Common sense detroit. You are smarter than you type. Maybe you just like wasting money. Maybe soros is your buddy.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:57 AM

3,411 posts, read 4,646,760 times
In my opinion from reading this thread, it seems like they (D's) want to turn the city into an East Los Angeles whether they want to admit it, or deny it. Is saving the $4.5 million dollars going to get canceled out by other means, such as the cost of increased crime? Might as well annex southern AZ with California and be done with it.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:59 AM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,111,460 times
I am not viewing this as a DemocratRepublican issue. I am pretty conservative and applaud this move by Penzone. Prisoners favored Tent City, employees hated it. The argument to expand it and close the other facilities is ridiculous on many levels.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:28 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,997,697 times
Closing Tent City is the right move, and the decision was made the right way.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:55 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,369,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post
I am not viewing this as a DemocratRepublican issue. I am pretty conservative and applaud this move by Penzone. Prisoners favored Tent City, employees hated it. The argument to expand it and close the other facilities is ridiculous on many levels.
Same here. I'm all for saving money and keeping corrections officers in a safer environment where they have more control over the prison population.

It's a simple fact that closing tent city saves money, as studies have shown. The county has a lot of excess capacity in the other jails. Therefore, closing this one facility entirely and consolidating prisoners into those vacant cells equals savings in the millions of dollars.

If we had full jails, I would feel differently. But we don't, we have lots of empty beds, so why not save ourselves -- the taxpayers -- millions of dollars?

I will give Joe credit for building/maintaining lots of jails. Most places in America don't have enough beds. We have way more than we need. So, now we can close the tent city and save millions of dollars and make things a little safer and easier for our corrections officers while we are at it.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:00 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,972,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
In my opinion from reading this thread, it seems like they (D's) want to turn the city into an East Los Angeles whether they want to admit it, or deny it. Is saving the $4.5 million dollars going to get canceled out by other means, such as the cost of increased crime? Might as well annex southern AZ with California and be done with it.
We have 5 complexes with a lot of excess capacity. Tent city itself was only 1/3 full.

That won't be a problem. Joe kept us with lots of jail space. But he was also withholding CO pay raises to keep Tent City open.

I'm not sure how you got the rest of this.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:02 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,816,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevendustz View Post
Used jails are just buildings. Renovate. Simple. Long run money saved. Buildings renovated all the time. Common sense says tent jail cheap to build and mantain. Cooling expense alone big savings. Low maintenance cost. Common sense detroit. You are smarter than you type. Maybe you just like wasting money. Maybe soros is your buddy.
A smarter "common sense" solution: prevent people from going to jail in the first place. Rings bells of criminal justice reform.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:26 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,287,432 times
I've known a handful of people over the years that got DUI's and had to spend time there, one that was arrested for extreme speeding spent time in there as well. I know from their perspective, the chances of going back to tent city were a deterrent to drinking and driving to this day (but perhaps any time in any jail would serve the same purpose). I think they wouldn't consider drinking and driving anyway as they've grown older, but I didn't mind having that as a place to send DUI criminals in case of overcrowding in the site built jails. I do agree though, it was sort of redneck and was there more for the publicity than as a crime deterrent.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:27 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,976,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Rough start. Your argument that tent city could house all prisoners in Maricopa County's custody is absurd. There are eight facilities. Facts don't support your claim that shutting down the physical facilities in favor of Tent City is feasible.

Good riddance to this ineffective, wasteful mess - good riddance to Tent City too. I don't understand how conservatives can love this place so much when it's proven to have been so wasteful. Fiscal conservatism seems to be low on their list, I suppose.
Hold up... you're pro-illegal immigration and pro-Obama. Those two things right there alone discredit anything and everything you have to say from here on out about ineffectiveness and taxpayer-funded WASTE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area