Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best weather month in the Phoenix area?
January 4 5.48%
February 3 4.11%
March 18 24.66%
April 8 10.96%
May 3 4.11%
June 1 1.37%
July 6 8.22%
August 0 0%
September 1 1.37%
October 7 9.59%
November 18 24.66%
December 4 5.48%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 11:01 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times

Advertisements

Tossup between April and October. Tie goes to October, our present for surviving the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 11:03 AM

3,328 posts, read 2,274,132 times
Not a huge fan of summer, but apparently it doesn't bug me too much since I'll have been here 30 years next April.

I was looking forward to traffic thinning out more than it actually did this summer; not sure if fewer people left, snowbirds came back sooner, more people moved here (which I think is always happening), all of the above, or just what was going on.

I think the rest of the months outside of summer are each great in their own way, despite the traffic (I have a loooong commute).

Old 11-25-2019, 11:13 AM

154 posts, read 74,388 times
I voted for May but any month is fine with me because it's what you make of it.
Even summers are tolerable with plenty of air-conditioning, shade, and the right amount of water intake. It's easier to survive the heat than the bitter cold, at least it is for me.

Old 11-25-2019, 12:27 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,730,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mags61 View Post
I voted for May but any month is fine with me because it's what you make of it.
Even summers are tolerable with plenty of air-conditioning, shade, and the right amount of water intake. It's easier to survive the heat than the bitter cold, at least it is for me.
mags61, I too prefer the heat to the cold. Had my fair share of numb extremities and icy roads growing up in Massachusetts!

Old 11-25-2019, 07:31 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,348,840 times
April would probably be my pick. I like the longer days, and not-too-chilly mornings.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:56 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,975,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Not at all. I left for AZ on October 7th for a reason. https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/br...weather/333828

1/4 of the months high temps were in the 30's. Over 1/2 of the month high temps were either in the 30's or 40's. So no, October isn't great everywhere. If I bothered to count the rainy and or cloudy days, it would be more depressing.

My guess is the Pacific NW (west of the mountain range) was also less than ideal.
OK, except for places, where people speak with Canadian accents.

Old 11-26-2019, 04:24 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,171,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
OK, except for places, where people speak with Canadian accents.
I need to correct you on this one. The linguistic characteristics from people living in WI, MN and the Upper Peninsula of MI come from the Norwegians, Germans, and Swedes. More specifically, their long vowels and sentence structure influenced the upper Midwest accent. i.e. the word "know" is often pronounced "knooooow". Then there are the pockets of accents on the Iron Range (Hibbing, Ely, Tower etc) and the UP of MI that intertwine Finnish dialects. Folks pronounce the word "them" like "dem".

Much of the Canadian accents was shaped by the influx of UK and Ireland immigrants. But Canadians have a wide range of accents depending which coast they live in. From Newfoundland (heavy Irish) to the French accents of the province of Quebec.

In short, a "Canadian accent" is very much Canadian (process is pronounced "prooo-ces" and about is pronounced "abooooot". It's called ‘Canadian Raising’ which has nothing to do with long vowel structure of the upper Midwest accents. You can hear examples of Canadian Raising here. Canadian raising and other oddities

In conclusion, Canadian accents are specifically located in Canada for the reasons I just described.

Old 11-26-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
mags61, I too prefer the heat to the cold. Had my fair share of numb extremities and icy roads growing up in Massachusetts!

Are you from the Boston area? That's where I grew up and I couldn't agree with you more.
My husband and I left Massachusetts a long time ago, mostly because we couldn't handle the bitter winters any longer.
It was not only depressing but counterproductive. We were either snowed in, or spending countless amounts of time scraping ice, shoveling the walk, or restricted to go anywhere because of the hazardous conditions. Not to mention freezing every body part imaginable.
We moved for other reasons too but a person can only take so much of that crappy weather. No doubt Phoenix is hot in the summer but at least the heat doesn't restrict us from commuting or getting things done.

Old 11-26-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I need to correct you on this one. The linguistic characteristics from people living in WI, MN and the Upper Peninsula of MI come from the Norwegians, Germans, and Swedes. More specifically, their long vowels and sentence structure influenced the upper Midwest accent. i.e. the word "know" is often pronounced "knooooow". Then there are the pockets of accents on the Iron Range (Hibbing, Ely, Tower etc) and the UP of MI that intertwine Finnish dialects. Folks pronounce the word "them" like "dem".

Much of the Canadian accents was shaped by the influx of UK and Ireland immigrants. But Canadians have a wide range of accents depending which coast they live in. From Newfoundland (heavy Irish) to the French accents of the province of Quebec.

In short, a "Canadian accent" is very much Canadian (process is pronounced "prooo-ces" and about is pronounced "abooooot". It's called ‘Canadian Raising’ which has nothing to do with long vowel structure of the upper Midwest accents. You can hear examples of Canadian Raising here. Canadian raising and other oddities

In conclusion, Canadian accents are specifically located in Canada for the reasons I just described.

Thank you for the insomnia remedy.

Old 11-26-2019, 12:06 PM

9,746 posts, read 11,171,717 times
Quote:
Thank you for the insomnia remedy.
You are welcome. Your posts are riveting! Like this post.
Quote:
Are you from the Boston area? That's where I grew up and I couldn't agree with you more.
My husband and I left Massachusetts a long time ago, mostly because we couldn't handle the bitter winters any longer.
It was not only depressing but counterproductive. We were either snowed in, or spending countless amounts of time scraping ice, shoveling the walk, or restricted to go anywhere because of the hazardous conditions. Not to mention freezing every body part imaginable.
We moved for other reasons too but a person can only take so much of that crappy weather. No doubt Phoenix is hot in the summer but at least the heat doesn't restrict us from commuting or getting things done.
At the risk of not being able to fall asleep, U]please [/u]tell us more!

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 11-26-2019 at 12:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area