Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best weather month in the Phoenix area?
January 4 5.48%
February 3 4.11%
March 18 24.66%
April 8 10.96%
May 3 4.11%
June 1 1.37%
July 6 8.22%
August 0 0%
September 1 1.37%
October 7 9.59%
November 18 24.66%
December 4 5.48%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 07:32 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,657,447 times

Advertisements

December!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 08:11 PM

1,336 posts, read 926,982 times
I gotta say I am enjoying this cool weather... I want to be so chilled to the bone, that I say, bring on those 110F days again!
Even now, the memory of those weeks in August is fading away

Old 11-27-2019, 10:20 AM

872 posts, read 999,139 times
Highs in the low 60s and 50s with lows in the low 40s and 30s don't usually show up until around the end of Dec and Jan so this is a little cold for now Although these are outliers and only occur in a few day snaps with rain usually accompanying them.

Kind of wish we got more 75-80 degree weather but that's fall for you here. This is why I chose March as the best month

Old 11-27-2019, 06:28 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
Highs in the low 60s and 50s with lows in the low 40s and 30s don't usually show up until around the end of Dec and Jan so this is a little cold for now Although these are outliers and only occur in a few day snaps with rain usually accompanying them.

Kind of wish we got more 75-80 degree weather but that's fall for you here. This is why I chose March as the best month
Yep, today's averages were 71°F/50°F, tomorrow's 71°F/49°F

Old 11-27-2019, 11:49 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,969,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I need to correct you on this one. The linguistic characteristics from people living in WI, MN and the Upper Peninsula of MI come from the Norwegians, Germans, and Swedes. More specifically, their long vowels and sentence structure influenced the upper Midwest accent. i.e. the word "know" is often pronounced "knooooow". Then there are the pockets of accents on the Iron Range (Hibbing, Ely, Tower etc) and the UP of MI that intertwine Finnish dialects. Folks pronounce the word "them" like "dem".

Much of the Canadian accents was shaped by the influx of UK and Ireland immigrants. But Canadians have a wide range of accents depending which coast they live in. From Newfoundland (heavy Irish) to the French accents of the province of Quebec.

In short, a "Canadian accent" is very much Canadian (process is pronounced "prooo-ces" and about is pronounced "abooooot". It's called ‘Canadian Raising’ which has nothing to do with long vowel structure of the upper Midwest accents. You can hear examples of Canadian Raising here. Canadian raising and other oddities

In conclusion, Canadian accents are specifically located in Canada for the reasons I just described.
How aboat Janet Yellen's accent? Absolutely hideous, but I guess that is Wisconsin. Spoke with a realtor in northern Wyoming last week..she had the Minisoda accent, too. Must be the I-90 syndrome. But Dana Perino on Fox speaks with a perfectly nuetral Western accent, and she is from SE Wyoming, on I-80.

Old 11-28-2019, 03:10 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,156,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
How aboat Janet Yellen's accent? Absolutely hideous, but I guess that is Wisconsin. Spoke with a realtor in northern Wyoming last week..she had the Minisoda accent, too. Must be the I-90 syndrome. But Dana Perino on Fox speaks with a perfectly nuetral Western accent, and she is from SE Wyoming, on I-80.
While I agree Janet Yellen's voice is punishing to listen to, she is a daughter of Polish immigrants and grew up in Brooklyn. She went to Yale, taught at Harvard, and worked mostly in the Bay area. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janet_Yellen Absolutely nothing Midwest about her.

Same with your other example: Dana Perino was born in WY but grew up in Denver (and attended college in CO too). See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_Perino so if she sounds like someone who is from Colorado (no accent), that makes sense.

You are getting your regional accents confused with one another.

Old 11-28-2019, 07:09 AM

363 posts, read 442,813 times
i cant wait to move out there

Old 11-28-2019, 09:23 AM

994 posts, read 966,924 times
Probably May . I can say for myself and others from out of state that we want to move here to be warm year round and not have to deal with cold snaps that most of the country has. Winter temps should be low 70s on average for the high, even in the dead of winter. Atleast thats my idea of a winter, no winter.

Old 11-28-2019, 12:11 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,329,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
Probably May . I can say for myself and others from out of state that we want to move here to be warm year round and not have to deal with cold snaps that most of the country has. Winter temps should be low 70s on average for the high, even in the dead of winter. Atleast thats my idea of a winter, no winter.
That is often the misconception by a lot of snowbirds that our average winter highs are in the 70s to the 80s, while in truth the averages are generally in the 60s. In truth our average winter temperatures are more like Houston than they are like Miami, but Houston usually flies under the radar as a warm climate city. Houston just generally sees more atypical extremes in the winter (both warm and cold).

Old 11-29-2019, 04:25 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,258,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post

Yes, the temperatures now are quite a bit below average for the end of November, which is fine because I like variety in the weather (so long as it's not too cold). Sunny & warm practically every day becomes monotonous. The storm that moved in early this morning was more reminiscent of a cold front during the late winter or early spring based on the how strong the winds were, and how much the daytime temperatures dropped (from low 70s down to the 50s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
That is often the misconception by a lot of snowbirds that our average winter highs are in the 70s to the 80s, while in truth the averages are generally in the 60s. In truth our average winter temperatures are more like Houston than they are like Miami, but Houston usually flies under the radar as a warm climate city. Houston just generally sees more atypical extremes in the winter (both warm and cold).
Our winter weather is more comparable with southern CA than anywhere else. In fact, whenever a Pacific winter storm hits the CA coast, it's almost guaranteed that we will have the effects from it in some shape or form the following day. The average winter temperatures in L.A. are almost identical to those in Phoenix, except L.A. is slightly warmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area