Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 02:10 AM

9 posts, read 6,307 times

Advertisements

You may consider either midtown Phoenix, Laveen, Arrowhead, or the north side of town. All are considered family-friendly places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 02:31 AM

383 posts, read 639,613 times
Has anyone here lived in any of the condo buildings in Midtown or downtown and what are your thoughts? I think a huge plus I see is the convenience of light rail.

I wonder if there are many companies that are walking distance from the light rail stops. That would be great if I could light rail to work. Is that even possible?

Old 11-09-2017, 03:48 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,698,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeg View Post
Has anyone here lived in any of the condo buildings in Midtown or downtown and what are your thoughts? I think a huge plus I see is the convenience of light rail.

I wonder if there are many companies that are walking distance from the light rail stops. That would be great if I could light rail to work. Is that even possible?
I use the light rail to commute, thinking about getting rid of my car (fiance has one, so we don't need two)

Old 11-09-2017, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I use the light rail to commute, thinking about getting rid of my car (fiance has one, so we don't need two)
That is awesome. Another reason why Phoenix is a desireable place to live!

Old 11-09-2017, 05:45 AM

2,791 posts, read 7,489,045 times
Quote:

I don't live in one of those buildings, but I have a few friends who do. They like it for all the reasons mentioned so far in this post. There are plenty of employers, both private and public sector, within walking distance of light rail -- even more when you consider that Sky Harbor Airport and Tempe are accessible via train. Some employers like Quicken Loans are moving from the suburbs into central locations near light rail. That said, there are plenty of employers sticking with areas not served by light rail (e.g. Scottsdale and Chandler), so don't assume you can live without access to a car unless you are either willing to consider a geographically constrained set of employers or you have already lined up a stable job at a workplace along light rail.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I don't live in one of those buildings, but I have a few friends who do. They like it for all the reasons mentioned so far in this post. There are plenty of employers, both private and public sector, within walking distance of light rail -- even more when you consider that Sky Harbor Airport and Tempe are accessible via train. Some employers like Quicken Loans are moving from the suburbs into central locations near light rail. That said, there are plenty of employers sticking with areas not served by light rail (e.g. Scottsdale and Chandler), so don't assume you can live without access to a car unless you are either willing to consider a geographically constrained set of employers or you have already lined up a stable job at a workplace along light rail.
That makes perfect sense. I don’t want to be tied down to one area so
I intend to have a car. If I can find a job near light rail I consider that a huge plus since I’m not a fan
of driving in traffic.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:07 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,767,184 times
Tapestry faces the Central/Encanto light rail station, and adjacent to it on the west of it is the Willo neighborhood. I know people that live there and the only negative I know of is the unused retail space on the ground floor facing Central. (The geniuses that designed the place neglected to include the venting that would be required for restaurants.) The rail stop does generate some noise both from clanging and from next-train announcements, so I'm not sure you would want to face Central, but I imagine that you get used to it.

An interesting new condo development that hasn't sold out yet is Arthaus, which sits behind the Arizona Opera Company (on the east) and new Muse apartment complex (on the south) near the northwest corner of Central and McDowell. We did a tour of the place a week or so ago and I was really impressed.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:06 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,997,295 times
Quote:
That is awesome. Another reason why Phoenix is a desireable place to live!
PHX is one of the most car-reliant cities in America. If you have two, you MIGHT be able to get by with just one, but if you move here planning to live w/o a car, I don't see how its possible. Unless you like paying for rides everywhere that the light rail doesn't go (read: almost everywhere).

Old 11-10-2017, 10:27 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,698,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
PHX is one of the most car-reliant cities in America. If you have two, you MIGHT be able to get by with just one, but if you move here planning to live w/o a car, I don't see how its possible. Unless you like paying for rides everywhere that the light rail doesn't go (read: almost everywhere).
Even if my fiance didn't have her car, I could still do it. My work and apartment are both on the rail, hence why I use it. And living downtown, there are enough things on the light rail as well as within walking distance that I can get by. Even the bus fills in holes.

But if you live in the burbs, I'd agree with you

Old 11-10-2017, 10:36 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,993,613 times
Agreed, and good for you. I often wonder what the motive is if people saying you have to have a car. Maybe they need to justify their poor health. Just how many strip malls must one visit? Does Amazon not deliver in Phoenix? Money was kind of tight in the Phoenix I know, and most have no savings. Why not live within your means and save/invest some?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area