Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 01:53 PM

179 posts, read 298,372 times

Advertisements

Trying to gather differences between these places. If prices are similar, what would make these places different from one another? We are retired so commuting is not an issue, but we would like to be closer to markets and restaurants. We tend to walk to many places here in California but I know that would not be an option, but would like walk friendly area. Safety is very important to us so less crime the better (I'm sure most people would feel this way too).

We have stayed in Scottsdale for few days looking around several years ago before we even considered the thoughts of relocating to AZ. But, circumstances have changed and we have some family members who have moved to the area this year and another next year.

Any info is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 02:17 PM

3 posts, read 6,178 times
One of these things is not like the others.

Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, and Fountain Hills are the pinnacle of upscale living in the Phoenix metro. Those 3 cities have the most expensive real estate and upscale amenities of any place in the Valley.

Mesa is a largely middle class city, ranging from rough areas in the western part, transitioning to very nice, clean and safe as you travel east across town.

Real estate is priced accordingly, so a lot depends on your price range & what you expect for your money. If you have $250,000 to spend, you’ll get a decent house in Mesa but likely only a condo in Scottsdale or PV. I don’t think $250,000 will buy much of anything in PV.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:50 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,099 times
There can be quite a bit of difference between the 4 towns you asked about. Can you buy a 1M+ home in Mesa? Sure but there may be better choices. Can you buy a home in Paradise Valley for less than $1M? Yes, but there may be better choices. Choosing one of these towns will really be dependent on other factors like budget, size, the age of the home and what type of activities and lifestyle you enjoy.

The Town of Paradise Valley is the most exclusive and most expensive town in Arizona. There is little affordable housing there. Even though it is centrally located, it is largely suburban in nature. Can you walk to a store or restaurant? Only, if you one of the few that live near the store or restaurant, but mostly no you will drive.

Mesa is the third largest city in Arizona. It has all the amenities any large city can offer. You can find housing from every level, from the most affordable (<$50K) to multi-million dollar mansions ($3M+). However, most of the luxury homes in Mesa will be in planned communities, so walkability will be limited.

Scottsdale is like a chameleon. In one area it can have an almost urban feel to it, easy access to anything you could want. In other areas, it is truly rural, you need a car for everything. The housing can be anywhere from middle class to opulent (rivaling Paradise Valley). Scottsdale is a big city like Mesa, so it has everything.

Fountain Hills is a small town that just happened to be near Scottsdale, its growth has benefited from being adjacent to Scottsdale. Fountain Hills if you choose can be very much like a small town, it can be very walkable if you live anywhere near the core downtown. However, most people get bored with just staying in town and find themselves going to Scottsdale or Mesa for entertainment. Housing is middle class to expensive. A good percentage of Fountain Hills residents are part-timers.

As for safety. All four have areas that could be described as very safe, but safety is no guarantee. All four could have areas that may be less than desirable.

By the way, you do not have to limit yourself to these 4 towns. There are desirable areas in Phoenix and many of the other suburban towns around Phoenix. It all depends on your lifestyle and what you want.

Last edited by AZJoeD; 11-14-2017 at 03:00 PM..

Old 11-14-2017, 04:03 PM

179 posts, read 298,372 times
Thank you very much for great information. For this property, we would like to keep it anywhere between $800K to 1.1 Mil.

Sounds like Fountain Hill is out. We did drive around the area few years ago and thought the area nice but somewhat remote to restaurants, etc. But, the houses seem very nice and well-kept.

Mesa caught my eyes because some of the houses I looked at online seem quite nice for the price but don't know anything about it. I did look at crime map, and it seems fairly safe.

What other areas in this price range should we look at? We thought about some of the retirement communities, but the homes seem smaller than we like.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:14 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Search 85018 in the Arcadia area if you want in town but upscale. Great area.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:18 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Search 85018 in the Arcadia area if you want in town but upscale. Great area.
Second this! At that budget I’d be all over Arcadia over these other areas both for quality of housing and proximity to the rest of the valley. Fountain Hills, East Mesa and North Scottsdale are fairly far out from the metro core.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:55 AM

671 posts, read 854,427 times
To be honest, I recommend Scottsdale for what you are looking for. Being from NYC, I don't think that anywhere in Arizona is walkable but when I lived in Gainey Ranch, I could wal to a few places. Your budget is ok for amedium-sized propery. Think about ifyou want a pool, a gate, golf, etc. This will make all the difference. I recommend getting an Airbnb in your top two areas and spending a week or so exploring the areas. That ay, you ,know what it is like on weekends, school days, and nights. Safety should not be an issue but take precautions at alltimes. Anything can happen. IF there is anything that you enjoy, consider getting a place close to that location. This would include horseback riding, golf, etc. If you have a favourite spot, dodn't be shy about telling your realtor to focus the search in that area.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:58 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
To be honest, I recommend Scottsdale for what you are looking for. Being from NYC, I don't think that anywhere in Arizona is walkable but when I lived in Gainey Ranch, I could wal to a few places. Your budget is ok for amedium-sized propery. Think about ifyou want a pool, a gate, golf, etc. This will make all the difference. I recommend getting an Airbnb in your top two areas and spending a week or so exploring the areas. That ay, you ,know what it is like on weekends, school days, and nights. Safety should not be an issue but take precautions at alltimes. Anything can happen. IF there is anything that you enjoy, consider getting a place close to that location. This would include horseback riding, golf, etc. If you have a favourite spot, dodn't be shy about telling your realtor to focus the search in that area.
Agree, in that price range of $800k-$1.1M and close to restaurants and markets, you can't do better than Scottsdale IMHO.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:20 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasu View Post
Trying to gather differences between these places. If prices are similar, what would make these places different from one another? We are retired so commuting is not an issue, but we would like to be closer to markets and restaurants. We tend to walk to many places here in California but I know that would not be an option, but would like walk friendly area. Safety is very important to us so less crime the better (I'm sure most people would feel this way too).

We have stayed in Scottsdale for few days looking around several years ago before we even considered the thoughts of relocating to AZ. But, circumstances have changed and we have some family members who have moved to the area this year and another next year.

Any info is much appreciated.
I wouldn't recommend Fountain Hills if you like an area that's walkable and close to amenities. Fountain Hills is a nice, tucked away suburb which is high on the safety list, but it feels very isolated, and you'll find more homes in the hills than true established neighborhoods. Same can be said for far north Scottsdale and Paradise Valley. I always recommend Kierland for a safe area that has lots of amenities nearby, but not sure if it would be too busy or congested for your tastes.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:09 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
If I had your budget I would only look at Paradise Valley and Scottsdale. I would also look at East Phoenix (Arcadia and Paradise Valley village). Or Uptown Phoenix with the old and large ranch homes near Central Avenue.

If I wanted to be far out, I wouldn't look at Fountain Hills. I'd look at Cave Creek and Carefree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area