Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 01:53 PM

83 posts, read 80,933 times

Advertisements

My husband has returned from an early scouting trip to the area and he loved Merrill Ranch (Parkside) in Florence. When we spoke to their main office about Restrictions, asking specifically if there would be an issue with my husband's car hobby (garage workshop), they told him that garage doors have to be closed at all times unless you are going into or out of your home.

I find this absurd. This part of Merrill Ranch is an all-ages neighborhood. Why if you have small kids and they are out riding their bikes in the street? Does the garage door have to be shut when they leave? What if my husband wants to wax his car on a hot day. He has to have the door closed and suffocate?

I can understand not wanting to see a row of messy, overcrowded garage interiors while driving down the street. But if a person is working in his or her garage, it seems crazy that you can't have an open door.

We are going to try to determine if garage door issue is just a "preference" or if it is written into the C & Rs. Meanwhile, I'm curious: Do any of you live in an area with this regulation? Wondering how common it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 02:08 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times
I wish we did have this rule. We have a few that open it in the morning and close it at night.

There may be a rule about doing car repairs.

There is no such thing as a "preference." It may not be in the CC&Rs(should be) but it could be in the Rules and Regulations, and you have to follow those too.

Do you expect to have someone go up on your drive to look to see if he is waxing the car instead of the door was just left open? Too hard to enforce that way. You can't leave gray areas in rules like this. Open only when coming or going is to the point and easy to enforce.

That you think it is "crazy" tells me you really don't belong in an HOA. That is a very common rule and shouldn't have surprised you.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:19 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,049,080 times
Sounds like you should skip that neighborhood. There's a wide variety in restrictiveness. I know someone who lives in an HOA where garbage cans are only allowed to be out on the curb for something like 16-18 hours, and yes they do enforce it. Owners get fined if their winter grass is not seeded by a certain date. On and on... I couldn't live there.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:30 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,695 times
my hoa has that in their CC&R's, but doesn't enforce it
I guess you have to ask the folks who live there if its enforced..

we have lots of rules in our CC&R's, but after living here 4 months, it appears most of them are NOT strictly enforced, so, you never know unless you ask current residents

Old 12-05-2017, 02:32 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Here's a suggestion for you, Bdeclee . . .

Try living next to or across the street from an open garage door 24/7. Not only unnecessary and looks bad but does nothing for property values.

Sad that such a rule is even slightly necessary as a little Logic and Common Sense should be adequate . . . OBVIOUSLY NOT.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:45 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,955,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Here's a suggestion for you, Bdeclee . . .

Try living next to or across the street from an open garage door 24/7. Not only unnecessary and looks bad but does nothing for property values.

Sad that such a rule is even slightly necessary as a little Logic and Common Sense should be adequate . . . OBVIOUSLY NOT.
An open garage?! The horror

I am so glad I don't have an HOA.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:54 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,960,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeclee56 View Post
What if my husband wants to wax his car on a hot day.
Well, if your husband is into cars, he should know that you shouldn't wax your car when its hot out. Just sayin.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:05 PM

83 posts, read 80,933 times
Yes, it very well be that we can't live in an area with an HOA, although the director at Estrella Mountain Ranch did said that while they "prefer" garage doors be down, they do not require it. We will just have to get a copy of the CC & Rs for each development we're interested in and read them.

Life was different when garages were behind our homes.

@BigCats: I'm sure HE knows. Clearly, I do not.
@JGMotorSport64: I'm with you.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:07 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,049,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
my hoa has that in their CC&R's, but doesn't enforce it
I guess you have to ask the folks who live there if its enforced..

we have lots of rules in our CC&R's, but after living here 4 months, it appears most of them are NOT strictly enforced, so, you never know unless you ask current residents

Fair points, but all that could change when a new neighbor arrives, a new Board president, etc. If it's a deal breaker sort of restriction I'd go with what's in writing.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:22 PM

129 posts, read 186,940 times
Guess that I'm happy that I live in a neighborhood with some carports attached to homes. When the garage doors up, you really can't tell them from the carports. Btw, seeing an open garage door does not really constitute an "eyesore", imho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area