Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 12:02 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,661,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Yeah, theyre benchmark cars, I agree. But, 90% of those buyers don't give a flying hoot about about their performance, or else they wouldn't even touch the 4 cyl turbo models like most buyers are snatching up lately. Most buyers want the name, and you know deep down they would opt for the bigger, more luxurious 7 Series if they could. I sure would. Ive driven many BMW's, even M3's and the older E46 M5. Great cars, but in all honesty, I seriously prefer the G35/37/Q60 to the BMWs. I might be a homer here, owning a G35 sedan and all...

Sorry, everyone. Back on topic...
The 2018 330i is actually a 4 banger turbo. It was zippy as hell and didn't at all feel less enthusiastic than the inline 6 did. It sounded like crap though, I'll give you that. It was a blast to drive and if I wanted a small car, I'd certainly consider it. Not everyone wants massive land yacht luxury cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 12:13 PM

6,311 posts, read 4,211,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
The opposite is also true. There are plenty of actual rich people who take pride in their appearance and plenty of poor people who do not. So what? I don’t think there are any earth-shattering revelations here.
Taking pride in appearance is a whole other matter. Some people just don’t need to flaunt with bling, and designer clothes doesn’t mean they are slobs.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:14 PM

6,311 posts, read 4,211,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I'm definitely the type of person who would never tell someone how and what to spend their money on. If you're wealthy and want to buy expensive vehicles, a learjet, multi-million dollar homes, dress "to the nines", more power to you. Likewise, if you're wealthy and don't want to spend your money on any of that, that's great as well.

I think the main point, myself and others were trying to get at, unless you know someone personally and are into their finances, never assume someone is wealthy, just by the way they look, or where they live, or what they drive, that'a all.
Ditto.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Taking pride in appearance is a whole other matter. Some people just don’t need to flaunt with bling, and designer clothes doesn’t mean they are slobs.
Well of course. The post I was replying to was describing some hypothetical person wearing "old beat up jeans" at a resort in Hawaii.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:29 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,975,690 times
Quote:
The 2018 330i is actually a 4 banger turbo. It was zippy as hell and didn't at all feel less enthusiastic than the inline 6 did. It sounded like crap though, I'll give you that. It was a blast to drive and if I wanted a small car, I'd certainly consider it. Not everyone wants massive land yacht luxury cars.
I thought it was decent, nothing impressive. Then again, I'm spoiled with my G35 with the VQ35HR.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:31 PM

30,487 posts, read 19,246,478 times
Quote:
^I have to disagree with some of this. The 3-series is an awesome car and has always been an enthusiast favorite. I recently had a 2018 330i for a loaner and while far from luxurious, the handling and solid feel is something you don't get downmarket. Sure, there are some that want the badge, but for some, they don't need the size of a 5 or 7 series and still want an engaging car.
Drive a new Camaro and compare it to the BMW. I had ordered a BMW M2 but was thinking of changing my mind and buying a Camaro after driving the Camaro. I ended up changing altogether and bought a Charger Hellcat after deciding to sell my 7 Series and cancel the M2 order....now I want a light car to play around with .

Old 03-06-2018, 06:38 PM

9,785 posts, read 11,187,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Drive a new Camaro and compare it to the BMW. I had ordered a BMW M2 but was thinking of changing my mind and buying a Camaro after driving the Camaro. I ended up changing altogether and bought a Charger Hellcat after deciding to sell my 7 Series and cancel the M2 order....now I want a light car to play around with .
I LOVE the look of the Camaro! But it have near ZERO room in the front seat. I felt claustrophobic.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Careful with that red key! That thing is a BEAST! I had a basic 6 cyl Camaro as a rental recently. It had 1400 miles on it and rattled like crazy. It felt really cheap. It was really basic, but I can’t image that the fit and finish is much better on the SS and up. Granted you could probably have two Camaro SSs, but give me an M4 over any of those all day. For a toy car I always play around with the idea of picking up an older Boxster S. If you can stomach the IMS issues, you’d be hard pressed to find a better light, play car.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:37 PM

329 posts, read 1,048,070 times
i'm not saying this to brag (because it honestly doesn't matter) but i graduated from an Ivy League school and I actually envy some of these blue collar PHX guys.

Over in the Northeast, there's a very strong cultural emphasis on education, intellectualism, and white-collar professional careers. You're never really encouraged to seriously consider blue-collar professions.

Now, many of my friends went on to 6-figure incomes by 2-4 years out of school. The biggest destination for the vast majority of them was the financial sector, consulting, and increasingly tech, as well as law and medicine...all your usual culprits. But the point I want to make is that when I run into them now, 8 years out, they look haggard and worn-down. White hairs already on some of the early 30s crowd. They get paid well, but imo they've just traded their youth for money.

I contrast that to the PHX boys I see (the ones who genuinely have money to blow, not the posers) and these guys have the free time to stay in great shape, travel more often for fun (rather than as an escape from their jobs/lives/whatever), and make good money while dealing with less overall stress in their lives.

Now, I'm not trying to pin the blame on anybody cuz there's really no point at this point in time. BUT...knowing my own personality, I would have much rather preferred to go into the blue collar professions and work with my hands.

I'm in my early 30s now and, having spent the last decade in white-collar settings, am now looking to get into fields that are much more conducive to my lifestyle goals and desires. It's been a real pleasure getting to know the PHX guys I know because they are so different from what I'm used to growing up and helped reveal to me that such different realities do exist.

I think MN-born-and-raised hit it on the head too with his post (#42). Was a great read!

Old 03-06-2018, 08:19 PM

30,904 posts, read 37,005,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Interesting, but I wonder where everyone went, when you could buy a house in Coronado for 40,000 in 2011.
Get real. There weren't any houses for sale in Coronado for anything close to that price in 2011.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area