Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 09:28 AM

9,747 posts, read 11,171,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Dude, I live in the outer burbs. I'm fully aware of the trade-offs.
If you live in Scottsdale, then you live in a burb (not an outer burb). But hey, what do I know.

Quote:
People buy further out for a variety of reasons and there's nothing wrong with that; I never said that there was.
In the past, you like to take shots at "chain restaurants", "strip malls", "stucco boxes" or "far flug" etc. I won't bother to search. So my posts are about my perception (plus a few other posters to boot). Saying that, I'll take you at you word.

Everyone with a brain understands the trade-offs. Just because someone explains why they live in an actual outer burbs doesn't mean they are insecure or lie. So it seems your actual hot button is your perception that some people are insecure. But in reality, they are explaining why they like to live where they live. And we all may assume what is important to us must be important to someone else. But in reality, that's not always the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 09:56 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,652,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
If you live in Scottsdale, then you live in a burb (not an outer burb). But hey, what do I know.

In the past, you like to take shots at "chain restaurants", "strip malls", "stucco boxes" or "far flug" etc. I won't bother to search. So my posts are about my perception (plus a few other posters to boot). Saying that, I'll take you at you word.

Everyone with a brain understands the trade-offs. Just because someone explains why they live in an actual outer burbs doesn't mean they are insecure or lie. So it seems your actual hot button is your perception that some people are insecure. But in reality, they are explaining why they like to live where they live. And we all may assume what is important to us must be important to someone else. But in reality, that's not always the case.
Wrong. No one is arguing what is important to someone else or the merits thereof. We're not talking about someone "explaining why they live in an actual outer burb". I don't know why you keep gravitating to that. We're talking about stating incorrect information, such as far NW Phoenix being close to "everything Phoenix/Scottsdale". If people are content with their decision, the question remains, why sugarcoat? Why state untruths?

It would be refreshing to hear, "I chose to live further out because housing is less expensive, I don't need access to great dining, shopping and entertainment, I don't care about a commute and I like the scenery." Instead, we have people living on the outskirts touting how close they are to "everything". It's a fallacy and makes you wonder if they're trying to convince themselves otherwise. If not, why bother with the facade?

Old 03-09-2018, 10:01 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,923,056 times
Quote:
Wrong. No one is arguing what is important to someone else or the merits thereof. We're not talking about someone "explaining why they live in an actual outer burb". I don't know why you keep gravitating to that. We're talking about stating incorrect information, such as far NW Phoenix being close to "everything Phoenix/Scottsdale". If people are content with their decision, the question remains, why sugarcoat? Why state untruths?

It would be refreshing to hear, "I chose to live further out because housing is less expensive, I don't need access to great dining, shopping and entertainment, I don't care about a commute and I like the scenery." Instead, we have people living on the outskirts touting how close they are to "everything". It's a fallacy and makes you wonder why.
YOUR perception of reality doesn't have to mesh with mine, or anyone else's if you think a 30 minute drive in this day and age is a long drive, good for you..
it just gets old reading you endlessly trying force YOUR perception of reality on others on this topic and every other thread you participate in

Old 03-09-2018, 10:10 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,977,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
YOUR perception of reality doesn't have to mesh with mine, or anyone else's if you think a 30 minute drive in this day and age is a long drive, good for you..
it just gets old reading you endlessly trying force YOUR perception of reality on others on this topic and every other thread you participate in
So you're opposed to others expressing their opinions? No one is "forced" to read anything, including you.

Wow. It's not going to go so well in AZ if you object to every differing opinion. AZ is pretty much Live and Let Live Central.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
It's not just my perception:

Quote:
No one is arguing that being 30 minutes away is "close" in a literal sense. We aren't dumb.
I didn't say that it's a long drive, but it's certainly not close, as was originally stated. Look, when talking about a location that's over 25 miles away, it's disingenuous to state it as somewhere close by. That is surely something everyone can agree on, regardless of perception. I can't understand why it was stated to begin with, but continuing to argue against something so evident is a bit dumbfounding.

Last edited by DetroitN8V; 03-09-2018 at 10:21 AM..

Old 03-09-2018, 10:24 AM

9,747 posts, read 11,171,717 times
Quote:
It would be refreshing to hear, "I chose to live further out because housing is less expensive, I don't need access to great dining, shopping and entertainment, I don't care about a commute and I like the scenery."
Maybe we have been reading different posts. Because that’s what I’ve heard all along. For me at least, I live where I live because I am cheap, I want a nice neighborhood (mine is analogous to DC Ranch). The house has to be large because I am in it 20 out of 24 hours a day and I like my space. I prefer newer layouts as well. I don’t want to work hard and work my life away. My wife refuses to live in a hot summer climate so I take the hassle of going back and forth and living farther out. But OF COURSE I’d rather live closer in and on water. As I have posted before, we have recently looked in Scottsdale.

But speaking of refreshing to hear, how about you admit you like to take shots at "chain restaurants", "strip malls", "stucco boxes" or "far flug" and you might be overly sensitive to people (what you perceive) as making excuses. After all, to err is human. Then we can hug and call it a day.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Maybe we have been reading different posts. Because that’s what I’ve heard all along. For me at least, I live where I live because I am cheap, I want a nice neighborhood (mine is analogous to DC Ranch). The house has to be large because I am in it 20 out of 24 hours a day and I like my space. I prefer newer layouts as well. I don’t want to work hard and work my life away. My wife refuses to live in a hot summer climate so I take the hassle of going back and forth and living farther out. But OF COURSE I’d rather live closer in and on water. As I have posted before, we have recently looked in Scottsdale.

But speaking of refreshing to hear, how about you admit you like to take shots at "chain restaurants", "strip malls", "stucco boxes" or "far flug" and you might be overly sensitive to people (what you perceive) as making excuses. After all, to err is human. Then we can hug and call it a day.
I guess you've always been honest about why you live where you do, but others are not so up front, hence the back and forth about proximities being sugarcoated.

Chain restaurants, cookie-cutter houses and basic offerings do nothing for me and I want better access to better amenities and am willing to pay a premium for such. I realize, not everyone values that. Given that, I don't know that it's really a shot to point out that some areas have basic amenities. Why is that a jab, when that's a trade-off that some have intentionally chosen?

Old 03-09-2018, 10:54 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,923,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
So you're opposed to others expressing their opinions? No one is "forced" to read anything, including you.

Wow. It's not going to go so well in AZ if you object to every differing opinion. AZ is pretty much Live and Let Live Central.
Not opposed at all to anyone expressing their opinion on anything...
The problem is when EVERY post I make on EVERY thread about ANY topic is instantly refuted, slammed, and criticized by a certain person, it becomes annoying and difficult to accept the opinion or viewpoint of that person, period.

But you are correct in that I am not forced to read anything anyone posts, no matter how obsessed they are with me..

Old 03-09-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Not opposed at all to anyone expressing their opinion on anything...
The problem is when EVERY post I make on EVERY thread about ANY topic is instantly refuted, slammed, and criticized by a certain person, it becomes annoying and difficult to accept the opinion or viewpoint of that person, period.

But you are correct in that I am not forced to read anything anyone posts, no matter how obsessed they are with me..
You seem to take this very personally. While your gripe is over-exaggerated, I would suggest taking a look at your posts. If they are full of useful, valid information, there will be nothing to clarify. Many newcomers to the area read this board, as likely we all did. If bad information is out there, it can lead to people making bad decisions. Always best to over clarify than to leave erroneous information out there.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:03 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,811,701 times
Quote:
You seem to take this very personally. While your gripe is over-exaggerated, I would suggest taking a look at your posts. If they are full of useful, valid information, there will be nothing to clarify. Many newcomers to the area read this board, as likely we all did. If bad information is out there, it can lead to people making bad decisions. Always best to over clarify than to leave erroneous information out there.

That's the point it's not bad info it's called opinions. Everyones welcome to their own but when you don't like someones you try to refute it like it's the law. Maybe you can't comprehend that most of us have no problem driving 30 minutes to get somewhere and in our opinion that's close by. I know many others who think like this and because they came from areas a lot worse like LA,driving 30 minutes really is close by.

Heck I tell people back east I go to Flagstaff just for the day and my exact words are " It's close by to be able to get away for the day". Hearing this must make your head explode but it's my opinion and I know many who feel the same way and many who think I'm nuts. Wase even put a map up to show the proximity to the 17/303/101 and he's right for saying what he did in the OP. There's nothing wrong with stating your opinion but stop calling everyone out who doesn't agree with you which seems like that's all you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area