Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 11:09 AM

5 posts, read 5,887 times

Advertisements

We are moving to AZ in a few weeks. We want to be on the West side. Our first choice would be the arrowhead ranch area. Unfortunately, we are not finding houses we like in that area. We didn't get the two we put an offer in on. We are now considering the Litchfield Park area as it seems we can get everything we want in that area. My husband is in sales and drives all over so the location does not matter. I however need to find a job in the office/accounting industry. Am I going to be too limited if we choose Litchfield over Arrowhead. I don't mind a little commute but not looking for an hour to get to a decent job. Also, are we limiting our resale options by Litchfield? We do not have kids and do not want to be in a retirement community. We have a vacation rental home in Surprise that we want to stay somewhat close to. We were told to stay away from Goodyear and Avondale. Is Litchfield far enough away? Any help and suggestions would be appreciated. We can't seem to decide if we would regret not holding out for Arrowhead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 11:21 AM

2,097 posts, read 3,821,575 times
Just curious why were you told to stay away from Goodyear and Avondale? Goodyear's one of the fastest growing communities right now and with the 303 you're a quick trip up to your Surprise property if needed.

Quote:
As one of the fastest growing cities in the United States, the city of Goodyear is poised to rapidly add to the current population of 78,189. Set in the West Valley of metropolitan Phoenix, the city encompasses 191 square miles. Home to a strong, educated and skilled workforce, Goodyear is well-positioned for growth. Featuring an ideal location, major transportation corridors – Interstate 10 and State Route 303 – reliable infrastructure, abundant land and a low cost of living, Goodyear has already attracted many major employers including Amazon, REI, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Macy’s, Subzero and the Michael Lewis Company. As the spring training home of Major League Baseball’s Cincinnati Reds and the Cleveland Indians, fans from across the country flock to catch the exciting action at Goodyear Ballpark. A thriving healthcare corridor, anchored by Abrazo West Campus and Cancer Treatment Centers of America, serves not only the community, but the entire region. Supported by a strong median household income of $69,078 and a median age of 36.7 years, the diverse retail, dining and recreation options offer residents choices to enjoy and support the local community. According to the most recent satisfaction survey, 93% of residents rate Goodyear as a good/excellent place to live.

City News | City of Goodyear

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...come/96449470/

Old 03-07-2018, 11:53 AM

90 posts, read 114,022 times
As far as the 'west side' goes, Arrowhead is beautiful but expensive for what you get. Surprise has a lot of options and you obviously like it since you have a rental home there. There a ton of affordable, newer homes in Surprise. As far as commuting, I would take a look at online job postings to see where the kind of jobs you're looking for are located. If you're going to be committing to downtown, Arrowhead and Surprise would be too far in my opinion, but Litchfield Park/Goodyear wouldn't be too bad. Goodyear is fairly new and beautiful in my opinion - I would go with Goodyear before Litchfield Park.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:09 PM

Thanks for the advice. My husband was in a restaurant yesterday in Goodyear and asked a police officer in there her opinion of Goodyear and if it was good location to move to. She said "no". It has a high crime rate and she would not recommend it. She said Arrowhead is a way better location. I was thinking if I had to get a job closer to Phoenix that taking the 101-17 down from Arrowhead would be better than the 10 from Goodyear/Litchfield.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:33 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,545,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by areahelp View Post
Thanks for the advice. My husband was in a restaurant yesterday in Goodyear and asked a police officer in there her opinion of Goodyear and if it was good location to move to. She said "no". It has a high crime rate and she would not recommend it. She said Arrowhead is a way better location. I was thinking if I had to get a job closer to Phoenix that taking the 101-17 down from Arrowhead would be better than the 10 from Goodyear/Litchfield.

That would be a surprise to some regular posters who live in Goodyear, who I think are pretty happy there.

People I know in the Litchfield Park area take the surface streets in to downtown. There are also express buses from various west side locations.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:45 PM

9,864 posts, read 11,263,473 times
Quote:
Goodyear and Litchfield Park are cut from the same cloth.... BOTH are safe. Putting it another way, Arrowhead area and Goodyear are equally safe. What does he sell? If he is smart, he should go where most of his target businesses is located.

If you go Litchfield Park, I hope you like the "Sound of Freedom" (a.k.a Luke AFB).

Old 03-07-2018, 02:12 PM

How bad is the Luke AFB noise in Litchfield park? I know it is right there, but is it tolerable? We have the noise in Surprise as well, but it doesn't bother us much. But is it a bad impact for resale? Are there any pros or cons with Goodyear vs Litchfield Park? For some reason Litchfield just seems a little nicer?

Old 03-07-2018, 02:26 PM

9,864 posts, read 11,263,473 times
Quote:
How bad is the Luke AFB noise in Litchfield park? I know it is right there, but is it tolerable? We have the noise in Surprise as well, but it doesn't bother us much. But is it a bad impact for resale? Are there any pros or cons with Goodyear vs Litchfield Park? For some reason Litchfield just seems a little nicer?
I live in Surprise. It doesn't bother me that much either. The lower the plane elevation, the louder the SPL. If you are anywhere near where they take off, to me at least, the SPL is INTENSE.

Old 03-07-2018, 04:53 PM

39,131 posts, read 51,432,240 times
Much of what people call Litchfield Park is actually Goodyear. Goodyear is arguably the nicest city in the west valley. Don't know what the cop was talking about. There's some rundown areas in the old town part east of the airport, but pretty much every valley city has something like that.

Old 03-07-2018, 04:57 PM

494 posts, read 504,994 times
I live a mile north of I-10 at Litchfield Rd and Virgina in Palm Valley. I rarely hear aircraft. It would be a decision factor for me. Goodyear's Palm Valley is very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area