Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 03:34 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,764,663 times

Advertisements

The D'Backs Game at Chase Field was delayed for about 30 minutes due to a power failure . . . No Lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
I was surprised by how many big trees are down in the NW Valley
and yet the political signs are still up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Like cockroaches following a nuclear apocalypse!
Unfortunately, those outrageously fugly Political Signs could and usually do survive just about anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 03:56 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,031,314 times
Yeah isn't it great? My roof is all torn up, shingles all over the place. Today I've been on the phone with my insurance company to have it repaired.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:28 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,333,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzeran View Post
I am from Texas where storms can get really bad. Here I have yet to see a proper storm yet I see trees down all over the place, even in my neighborhood that wasn't even that bad. I don't think people know how to plant trees here or it's the nature of the environment with lack of water.
Probably has to do with the type of soil and the room system.

I'm from the Midwest and I'm always saying I've yet to see a *real storm here. Well, in my neighborhood, THAT was definitely a real storm. Wind, rain, tons of lightening, lots of loud thunder...

Old 07-31-2018, 04:36 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,514,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzeran View Post
I am from Texas where storms can get really bad. Here I have yet to see a proper storm yet I see trees down all over the place, even in my neighborhood that wasn't even that bad. I don't think people know how to plant trees here or it's the nature of the environment with lack of water.

Some of the trees, depending on the type, come down because the owners don't keep them trimmed properly. Others do have shallow root systems that makes it easier for them to come down when the ground is wet and the wind is strong.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:37 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,935,370 times
"real" storm in the nw valley, 67th av and Jomax.. 74 mph winds at Deer Valley Airport, at least an inch of rain, I had to tie down my metal patio chairs to the table, as they started to take off, lots of trees down and garbage cans all over the place..
ZERO visability and it went pitch black for about 10 minutes...shocked there was no power outage. Temps dropped from 107 to 72 degrees..

Best Lightning show I have seen in many years..

Old 07-31-2018, 05:52 PM

975 posts, read 1,409,066 times
The other storms this year seemed to be stronger in the East Valley. I live in North Central Phoenix (around Bell / 7th St) and this was a very "real" storm with a brief power outage, a lot of wind (blew my grill over with several broken tree limbs in my yard and downed trees in the neighborhood). North Scottsdale also seemed to get pounded hard (my parents' neighborhood has a lot of downed trees).

It seems like Central Phoenix, the NE Valley, and the NW Valley seemed to be the center of this one.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:06 PM

83 posts, read 81,360 times
It seems the effects varied quite a bit from location to location. Here in Buckeye, we had wind that rivaled what we experienced during Sandy in NJ — 60-65mph.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:10 PM

61 posts, read 48,503 times
That's awesome, that's a "real" storm

I live off the 60 in East Mesa, not too far from AJ border, it rained lastnight and lightning/thundered but wasn't much, however it was enough to where we were outside standing in it until it stopped.

Best part, well other than the rain was it dropped from I think 103 or so (cooler out here SLIGHTLY) to 77 which was fantastic. It kept the air conditioner at bay last-night, was very nice in the house.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:01 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,612,841 times
I wonder what the one poster who transferred from Malibu thought of the storm. LOL.

Hardly any dust or rain for me in Chandler. (I must be near Kurt).
Still had to drug my dog though.
He heard one crack of thunder and went into complete panic mode. *sigh*

Old 08-01-2018, 06:26 AM

566 posts, read 576,952 times
The day we moved to Phoenix! We were like "Oh what is this? Is this normal?" LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area