Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 06:55 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,151,444 times

Advertisements

I seriously think I understand what you are getting at but like the previous posters, to drink or not to drink is a personal choice. I think what you got sucked into is the "every day is a vacation" mentality of AZ. Many people move here to escape from whatever place they used to live. They find sunny days, great temperatures and stuff to do. Some disregard traffic laws cause...with such beautiful open roads, why wouldn't I see how fast my new Challenger can go? Some think they can drive everywhere in a hopped up golf cart or ATV. Some view it as the Wild West where anything goes.

February in Phoenix Metro? Spring Training starts late February. Phoenix Open is in the beginning of February. Barrett Jackson is in January. There are a ton of visitors and vacationers that lend to the "This is great, I feel happy, let's grab a drink" mentality. Spring Break starts up in March (ish) and then you get into the summer months. Hanging pool side with a margarita seems nice...let's do that. Move through the summer and the weather starts getting nice again in October. Patio bar to watch football? Sure thing. Holidays come up and there are a ton of things to do again...rinse and repeat.

I am not saying all these activities require alcohol. Quite the opposite, you may have better memories without it. But if you are used to drinking (I am looking at you Northern Mid Westerners) quite a bit and suddenly find yourself without the winter blues...that may be a contributing factor.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:19 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,922,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
I seriously think I understand what you are getting at but like the previous posters, to drink or not to drink is a personal choice. I think what you got sucked into is the "every day is a vacation" mentality of AZ. Many people move here to escape from whatever place they used to live. They find sunny days, great temperatures and stuff to do. Some disregard traffic laws cause...with such beautiful open roads, why wouldn't I see how fast my new Challenger can go? Some think they can drive everywhere in a hopped up golf cart or ATV. Some view it as the Wild West where anything goes.

February in Phoenix Metro? Spring Training starts late February. Phoenix Open is in the beginning of February. Barrett Jackson is in January. There are a ton of visitors and vacationers that lend to the "This is great, I feel happy, let's grab a drink" mentality. Spring Break starts up in March (ish) and then you get into the summer months. Hanging pool side with a margarita seems nice...let's do that. Move through the summer and the weather starts getting nice again in October. Patio bar to watch football? Sure thing. Holidays come up and there are a ton of things to do again...rinse and repeat.

I am not saying all these activities require alcohol. Quite the opposite, you may have better memories without it. But if you are used to drinking (I am looking at you Northern Mid Westerners) quite a bit and suddenly find yourself without the winter blues...that may be a contributing factor.
Perfectly said..

Old 01-09-2019, 08:23 AM

277 posts, read 276,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I think Phoenix has a drinking problem. It's more openly accepted. When I was there I got sucked into it. It took about 2 years to return to some sanity. I still drink, but never again like Phoenix 2015. That was my Nicholas Cage Leaving LV stage. I'm visiting soon and plan to behave. Last time in Jan 18 I went out, saw some old friends, and pounded quite a few, but I still was reasonably in check. This coming February I'm ready to return and intent on not going on a crazy bender. It is all a process. By 2020 I will be back and next time I'll have my own place keeping it on the downlow.
I don’t disagree that Phoenix has a drinking culture compared to say Salt Lake City it Denver. I think that’s due to the large midwestern population which cultural drinks heavily

But I wouldn’t defined that as “alcoholism” alchoholic doesn’t mean drinking more than you subjectively find appropriate alcoholics are a very specific kind of addicted person, it’s hard to rally define in terms of quantity but when you know an alchoholic you can’t miss it. It’s a compulsion and an inability to have any self control.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:06 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,151,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
But I wouldn’t defined that as “alcoholism” alcoholic doesn’t mean drinking more than you subjectively find appropriate alcoholics are a very specific kind of addicted person, it’s hard to rally define in terms of quantity but when you know an alcoholic you can’t miss it. It’s a compulsion and an inability to have any self control.
Thank you...I glossed over the whole "alcoholic" definition in my response vs. heavy/binge drinking. Alcoholics are found in every locale and deal with a very debilitating addiction. People kick the term around much too loosely to define someone who drinks vs. someone who can't control their drinking.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:09 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Thank you...I glossed over the whole "alcoholic" definition in my response vs. heavy/binge drinking. Alcoholics are found in every locale and deal with a very debilitating addiction. People kick the term around much too loosely to define someone who drinks vs. someone who can't control their drinking.
What is that old definition? There are alcoholics and there are drunks. Alcoholics go to meetings, drunks go to parties! (or happy hour)

Phoenix does have an amazing abundance of patios that are fun to drink on.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:38 AM

277 posts, read 276,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
What is that old definition? There are alcoholics and there are drunks. Alcoholics go to meetings, drunks go to parties! (or happy hour)

Phoenix does have an amazing abundance of patios that are fun to drink on.
Only going to get worse all the new highrises in Tempe and downtown have rooftop pools

Old 01-09-2019, 09:42 AM

872 posts, read 1,000,222 times
Only weak people get "sucked into" doing things and going along with peer pressure

Grow and up and be in charge and take responsibility

I went to ASU and didn't even drink a drop or alcohol

It is what you make it

Old 01-09-2019, 06:25 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,372,747 times
Seek help in Wisconsin

Old 01-09-2019, 07:54 PM

179 posts, read 325,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Or Louisiana.
Yeah, the OP has obviously never been to the New Orleans area before. NOLA is the land of drive-through liquor stores, plus drive-through daiquiri places (legal because they don't give you a straw with your daiquiri, lol) on every corner. It's booze all day, every day. I just moved from there. My former supervisor always said that the reason so many people there actually observe Lent and give up stuff is because they've got to make up for sinning so much the rest of the year, lol. Phoenix does quite a bit of drinking, but not anything like that. Much of the drinking in Phoenix is the brunch bunch and the happy hour crowd, not the booze-until-you're-spewing-everywhere crowd. And believe me, I had to dodge enough puddles of vomit in NOLA to know the difference.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:45 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,456,779 times
It's the river. I swear half the liquid flowing down the Salt is beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area