Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 06:43 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
It's the river. I swear half the liquid flowing down the Salt is beer.
Recycled beer. The flow increases during tubing season.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:34 PM

2,774 posts, read 5,728,764 times
OP dropped this grenade thread and checked into rehab!

Old 01-10-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Recycled beer. The flow increases during tubing season.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:16 PM

2,382 posts, read 2,714,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I think Phoenix has a drinking problem. It's more openly accepted. When I was there I got sucked into it. It took about 2 years to return to some sanity. I still drink, but never again like Phoenix 2015. That was my Nicholas Cage Leaving LV stage. I'm visiting soon and plan to behave. Last time in Jan 18 I went out, saw some old friends, and pounded quite a few, but I still was reasonably in check. This coming February I'm ready to return and intent on not going on a crazy bender. It is all a process. By 2020 I will be back and next time I'll have my own place keeping it on the downlow.

Interesting.

Do you think it's because most recreation here tends to be the non-mental kind, like sports?
Do you think it's because liquor is so easily available in supermarkets?
Do you think it's because we have a laid-back vibe?

Do you know of any statistics to back up your idea?

Old 01-12-2019, 11:43 PM

7 posts, read 4,758 times
Dumbest thread ever! What Phoenix has to do with your drinking problem?

Old 01-13-2019, 07:07 AM

30,390 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
OP dropped this grenade thread and checked into rehab!
Or he's still drunk...gotta love the posters that lob in a grenade and then disappear never to be seen again.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:15 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer62 View Post
Dumbest thread ever! What Phoenix has to do with your drinking problem?
What is "dumb" is that the Op didn't google to learn that PHX is NOT a city with a higher than average drinking problem. But IF you lived in an area where nearly everyone around you is a (heavy) drinker and the entertainment was semi-limited to going to a bar (small town USA like in WI), then I can see the coorelation. It's boils down to the culture!

I'll give you examples: let's say you live in NOLA (home of deep fried food), it's fair to expect higher heart disease. Or if you surrounded by Muslim cultures, expect people to have a much higher percentage of Muslims followers. I could go on for an hour.

I'm surprised you find correlations "dumb"?? It's work to find healthier foods in NOLA as the easy path for religion is what you are told. So yea, there are not a lot of drinking problems in Pakistan or Bangladesh. See https://vinepair.com/articles/map-co...-most-alcohol/

Old 01-14-2019, 01:56 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,143,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
How much were you drinking per day in your "Leaving Las Vega stage?"

Phoenix is a car town w/ little public transpo. Do people Uber it when drinking or take the risk of driving?

Just curious, I don't imbib much anymore and I never drink and drive.
I would take to the Stapley bus after work to SOuthern and take it to my watering hole which will not be mentioned. Upon seeing the bar, I would get off the bus and walk into the bar. Same group of people. I would usually drink 4-5 beers and a shot or 2. Then stagger home, maybe go to a fast food place, and collapse on my friend's floor. Get up hungover, shake off, take the bus to work, and repeat. Weekends I was at the bar and hit it harder. I was a legend. My roommate said you have to go, I can't deal with this anymore. Hopped on a plane back East. But, I miss you people and I am working my way back. At least February I'll have a nice visit.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I would take to the Stapley bus after work to SOuthern and take it to my watering hole which will not be mentioned. Upon seeing the bar, I would get off the bus and walk into the bar. Same group of people. I would usually drink 4-5 beers and a shot or 2. Then stagger home, maybe go to a fast food place, and collapse on my friend's floor. Get up hungover, shake off, take the bus to work, and repeat. Weekends I was at the bar and hit it harder. I was a legend. My roommate said you have to go, I can't deal with this anymore. Hopped on a plane back East. But, I miss you people and I am working my way back. At least February I'll have a nice visit.

You sound like all my regulars when I was a bartender in NY.

Those are the habits of an alcoholic, not restricted to geography.

You certainly were a legend, in your own mind.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:35 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,049,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
My perception of a drinking problem area would be Wisconsin. Towns are littered with corner bars. For instance, A quick google later suggests I was spot on.

WI makes the 10 of the top 20 spots. Here they are...
1. Green Bay, Wis.
2. Eau Claire, Wis.
3. Appleton, Wis.
4. Madison, Wis.
6. Oshkosh-Neenah, Wis.
9. Wausau, Wis.
10. La Crosse-Onalaska, Wis.-Minn.
12. Fond du Lac, Wis.
15. Sheboygan, Wis.
20. Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis, Wis.

ElleTea, you were also perceptive. Iowa made a few spots. MN had a couple as well. College towns are a big part of problem with binge drinking and it shows up in the list.

The driest area (#1) is Provo-Orem, Utah. No surprise. Also no surprise, PHX is no where to be found on the list. See https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...rica/34901003/
Agree with you on this. When I was in college, the legal drinking age there was 18. Kids got drunk every weekend (and I didn't even mention high school.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area