Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 05:28 PM

1,336 posts, read 928,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
All of the valley is a no go zone, you'll be safer staying in the bay area!
No, here there are predators of the political and criminal kind. It can only be worse in NYC and Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 06:13 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
We installed a Ring doorbell at our Cactus Corridor Scottsdale home three weeks ago. You might consider that.

Package theft is rampant at the moment. The doorbell can alert you when there is motion at the front door.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:18 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,964,244 times
Really nowhere there is not one area of this entire metro where’d id tell you you shouldn’t go there for fear of your safety. The only areas that might qualify include the area SW of Downtown between Downtown and the Capitol if you’re a pedestrian, the area around the airport, 19th Ave to 35th Ave between Camelback to Bell, random pockets of west Mesa, and Maryvale in general but specifically between 67th Ave and I17.

These are not “dangerous” but they are where the crime is. Phoenix in general is not a scary violent city like Philly or Baltimore. The poorer parts of town here tend to be impoverished, Hispanic, and/or Native American and the crime usually involves domestic issues, drugs, theft and other property crimes. But I mean I have family in Maryvale and am over there on occasion and go out over there and I never feel in danger. That doesn’t mean I’d buy a house over there tho.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:33 PM

1,336 posts, read 928,812 times
Thanks JG, that is helpful.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:15 PM

725 posts, read 806,098 times
We all know the reason why the majority of this crime occurs. Protect your family by carrying concealed and vote for people who want to prevent more problematic types from coming over the border or breed from within. Brazil, Haiti, South Bronx, detriot, or Arizona, it’s all the same: a couple of groups who disproportionately commit the crime.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
We all know the reason why the majority of this crime occurs. Protect your family by carrying concealed and vote for people who want to prevent more problematic types from coming over the border or breed from within. Brazil, Haiti, South Bronx, detriot, or Arizona, it’s all the same: a couple of groups who disproportionately commit the crime.
I was wondering how long it would take for a post like this to surface

Old 01-29-2019, 08:54 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,380,488 times
I don't watch local news LOL!

But I subscribe to nextdoor app. So far, no horrifying post from my neighbor for the past few months.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:16 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
We installed a Ring doorbell at our Cactus Corridor Scottsdale home three weeks ago. You might consider that.

Package theft is rampant at the moment. The doorbell can alert you when there is motion at the front door.
Our neighborhood could be considered Ring doorbell central. As in, seemingly every other home has one. I added one recently. It's a piece of cake to install. Ring did an amazing job on their fool proof instructions. Other companies should take note and use Ring as an example on how to release a manual. for instance a web video popped automatically when my network didn't sync right away. I also have a supposedly powerful multizone camera system. I'm an engineer. You almost kind of need to be in order to set that system. I've had several calls into tech support to figure out how to adjust the settings. Even downloading a video is complex and you will have to learn all about video compression algorithms and programs in order to share a video with the police (we caught a perp on our camera who rented a UHaul and was stealing lawn chairs on neighborhood porches). I had to have the detective come over and show me how to download the video for evidence. Yea, he was caught.

Now that I am in the neighborhood Ring "club" so to speak, I can see videos of other Ring users that they want to share. Again, it took about 10 seconds to figure out how that works.

Fluffy, you are right. There are people ringing doorbells that are suspicious to say the least. As in 1am porch examination and the perp was looking around with a flashlight for 20 seconds. Or another perp that felt on the upper ledge of the door (I assume) looking for keys. Yet another women peering in the window without shoes on. This has been inside of a week and I supposedly live in the 2nd safest town in Arizona (Surprise).

A lot of words to say the Ring is a cool device. The op will get a lot of instant feedback from other (paranoid) people around the area. lol

Old 01-30-2019, 06:02 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

By the time the Ring system comes up with live video the thief will be gone. On the other hand, you will have a nice picture of them. I saw today that the Phoenix (city) police are putting together a Ring neighborhood database.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:12 AM

Ring is great I have one too. Nothing exciting on my feed tho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area