Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 01:18 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,151,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
You raise a question I need to look into... what is the self defense criteria here ?
In Cali, the criminal has every right; your duty is only to run, give them everything they ask, or die.
Stand your Ground Law: A person is justified in threatening or actually using physical force, including deadly force, if a reasonable person would believe that the force is immediately necessary to protect themselves from the other person's use or attempted use of unlawful physical force.

ARS 13-404

ARS 13-405

Now don't think this means that you won't be civilly sued by any family members, etc. Generally, if you pull a gun on someone you should be prepared to lose absolutely EVERYTHING you own in legal battles after the fact, even if you aren't criminally liable. But at least you won't be going to jail if you are within your legal rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 01:24 PM

Oh and not to turn this into a firearm discussion, don't be surprised to see people open carrying...it is legal here. As is non-permit Concealed Carry...although if you are going to conceal on a regular basis I would recommend taking the class and getting certified. It's only $60 and will save you a ton of headaches down the road if you ever do find yourself in a position to have to defend yourself.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:06 PM

1,336 posts, read 928,812 times
Thanks Kurt, will read.

I actually have a CCW for AZ and NV already, and have taken more several defense training programs over the years from several outfits. I learned well the civil liability issue, as well as several other undesirable after effects of self-defense. Carrying a weapon is not a panacea. The goal, I learned, is to never be where trouble is, so that I can avoid entering this whole quagmire.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:09 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Indeed. And the exact converse is what they count in SF Bay area, especially with many Indian and Chinese white collar immigrants who have not fully availed themselves of their constitutional rights, and instead are known to store cash and gold at home. Home invasion crews come from out of town, and blatantly drive around in their sh*tboxes pausing to stare at homes.

I was thinking that in AZ, being as 2A friendly as it is, would be a place where criminals aren't anxious to break into the random home and find a barrel pointed at their face.

You raise a question I need to look into... what is the self defense criteria here ?
In Cali, the criminal has every right; your duty is only to run, give them everything they ask, or die.

That is simply not true. California has the so-called "Castle Doctrine" and you can blast away at a home invader. It's tougher to get a handgun there, but a shotgun is a much better home defense option anyway. You don't miss with a shotgun.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:19 PM

Ponderosa, technically you are correct, but one gets the strong feeling living here, you better not test that in our political environment. I seem to have been informed that if you can get away from the B&E thug trying to get your TV, that you better let him have it, and even exit your house if you need to, to avoid an encounter.

Re the shotgun, maybe for you, for me it can't be proven by my performance at the skeet range. But point well taken.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
[/b] That is simply not true. California has the so-called "Castle Doctrine" and you can blast away at a home invader. It's tougher to get a handgun there, but a shotgun is a much better home defense option anyway. You don't miss with a shotgun.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:27 PM

LOL ... yeah, Joe, I don't think the Grand Jury will buy the excuse that I was just following your advice to blast through the front door, no questions asked.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:50 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Here ya go:

https://www.mossberg.com/product/500...ser-aow-51697/

Old 01-31-2019, 04:45 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That will do the job ^^!

I think veritased was talking about this sort of culture in CA. As in,the warning on the bottom of your lnk. "Proposition 65 WARNING: Use of this product can expose you to chemicals including lead, which are known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm."

https://www.p65warnings.ca.gov/

Old 01-31-2019, 05:35 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,882,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
All of the valley is a no go zone, you'll be safer staying in the bay area!
Agreed - with the cops running amok up there, I think it's best to stay away from the PHX metroplex for a while until they get dealt with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area