Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 01:31 PM

1,336 posts, read 926,523 times

Advertisements

Any generally known areas in Phoenix metro that one wants to avoid during the day or night ?
I'll be a complete noob to the area and looking for insights.

I was looking into the crime stats for AZ towns, and I was surprised to find that overall Scottsdale (my imminent residence) wasn't as low on stats as I would have expected. Though my friends in a gated community in the area leave their doors unlocked when they go out, something we could never, ever, contemplate in SF Bay area. In our supposedly tony San Jose neighborhood we were getting increasing mail thefts, break-ins (home and auto) and even brazen home invasions with residents at home. Thanks to a bunch of new decriminalization laws eagerly voted in that reduced a whole series of felonies to misdemeanors.

How does it feel to be in AZ... generally you aren't being set on alert by constant news of break-ins in your area, or yes, certain areas are getting worse ?

Thanks for any insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 02:22 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
Crime stats are just the beginning of looking for a house. Phoenix is not like many cities where the worst crime is in the bullseye and as you move out it gets progressively better. You can have million dollar houses a few blocks away from a crime ridden ghetto.

My experience from living near downtown in one of the older neighborhoods is that crime can often vary dramatically block to block. One block in from all of the major streets seemed to have petty crime problems (burglary, stealing stuff out of cars) whereas our house was two blocks in and we had one minor incident in the four years we lived there.

While I'm no expert on Phoenix crime stats, my brother is in law enforcement in the Tucson area. Tucson tends to under report or game the stats (turning felonies into misdemeanors) while some of the local suburbs have nothing better to do than report every incident that happens making it look worse.

Best thing to do is chat with neighbors to get a feel for what is really going on.

Old 01-29-2019, 03:29 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,722,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Crime stats are just the beginning of looking for a house. Phoenix is not like many cities where the worst crime is in the bullseye and as you move out it gets progressively better. You can have million dollar houses a few blocks away from a crime ridden ghetto.

My experience from living near downtown in one of the older neighborhoods is that crime can often vary dramatically block to block. One block in from all of the major streets seemed to have petty crime problems (burglary, stealing stuff out of cars) whereas our house was two blocks in and we had one minor incident in the four years we lived there.

While I'm no expert on Phoenix crime stats, my brother is in law enforcement in the Tucson area. Tucson tends to under report or game the stats (turning felonies into misdemeanors) while some of the local suburbs have nothing better to do than report every incident that happens making it look worse.

Best thing to do is chat with neighbors to get a feel for what is really going on.

Even then you can't expect complete honesty (I'm not very forthcoming with strangers asking questions about my hood). Not many people would be like "Oh, crime, man it's gotten really bad around here. My home value has probably dropped 20% in the last 6 months because of all the break-ins."

Old 01-29-2019, 03:35 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Property crime here is rampant. There is no neighborhood or part of town that is exempt. Violent crime is confined to the usual places - the poverty pockets which are found throughout the metro.

Old 01-29-2019, 03:39 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Even then you can't expect complete honesty (I'm not very forthcoming with strangers asking questions about my hood). Not many people would be like "Oh, crime, man it's gotten really bad around here. My home value has probably dropped 20% in the last 6 months because of all the break-ins."
True, my neighbors that were trying to sell their house in my old neighborhood would kill me if I chatted up a prospective buyer and tell them that the local homeless guys have all recently discovered meth & heroin and things were getting fairly interesting. Not your father's homeless tipsy on Night Train. Especially since house prices were going through the roof and people were cashing out while the getting was good.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:16 PM

277 posts, read 276,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Any generally known areas in Phoenix metro that one wants to avoid during the day or night ?
I'll be a complete noob to the area and looking for insights.

I was looking into the crime stats for AZ towns, and I was surprised to find that overall Scottsdale (my imminent residence) wasn't as low on stats as I would have expected. Though my friends in a gated community in the area leave their doors unlocked when they go out, something we could never, ever, contemplate in SF Bay area. In our supposedly tony San Jose neighborhood we were getting increasing mail thefts, break-ins (home and auto) and even brazen home invasions with residents at home. Thanks to a bunch of new decriminalization laws eagerly voted in that reduced a whole series of felonies to misdemeanors.

How does it feel to be in AZ... generally you aren't being set on alert by constant news of break-ins in your area, or yes, certain areas are getting worse ?

Thanks for any insights.
The Phoenix area has a relatively low crime rate given its size. Overall there are areas I wouldn’t live in or spend time in but there isn’t really anywhere I’d say “stay out” like you do in some
Cities

Old 01-29-2019, 04:24 PM

656 posts, read 812,831 times
I avoid Maryvale because of the crime, and Scottsdale because of the posh twits.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:56 PM

1,336 posts, read 926,523 times
"posh twits" lol. I'll keep on the lookout for that species. Sounds odious.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:01 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Just remember that property crimes tend to be crimes of opportunity (unless the criminal has inside information about a certain location). grmi66's situation seems to be appropriate...if they can hit something only a block off the main road, why continue on to the second block? Criminals tend to be lazy. We have had a couple of incidents in our neighborhood but not on our cul de sac...no one even realizes there are 5 houses just kind of on this spur in the neighborhood. I was talking with a neighbor (this has happened more than once) and mentioned where I lived and the response is usually "Where? There is a cul de sac up there? I never even noticed".

Old 01-29-2019, 05:10 PM

770 posts, read 836,740 times
All of the valley is a no go zone, you'll be safer staying in the bay area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area