Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 03:05 PM

494 posts, read 501,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
If you look at the sound pressure contour maps, Goodyear (North of the 10) are in the thick of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a8EQi2Obnw
I can tell you that I live at Litchfield Rd 5 miles south of the base and Virginia (Palm Valley)
and rarely hear aircraft. When i do, it is hardly noticible and Not a factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 03:53 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,156,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick85395 View Post
I can tell you that I live at Litchfield Rd 5 miles south of the base and Virginia (Palm Valley)
and rarely hear aircraft. When i do, it is hardly noticible and Not a factor.
That puts you around I10 and near Pebble Creek. There are 1,000 flights at Luke per month. Many of which have multiple touch and go's. I've been at Pebble Creek multiple times specifically to see if i can stomach the noise. Unfortunately, we (my wife more than myself) cannot. People who hardly notice them must be "sonically challenged" or oblivious to their surroundings.

With my 54 year old year (fairly flat frequency response out to 18.5 KHz; which is related to my line of work) it's blatantly obvious. Yet the guy next to me would say, I "barely notice them". Part of me thinks people are in denial and/or they just are not in tune with what is going on around them. As I'm typing inside my house (2x6" walls), I can easily hear residential traffic, a blower about 5 homes away, a car stereo a block away, someone who just hit their door lock and the horn chirped about 3 houses down. Those don't bother me at the moment. But a jet flying over lasting 30 seconds does.

So the message is for people to listen for themselves and judge accordingly.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:51 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Quote:
That puts you around I10 and near Pebble Creek. There are 1,000 flights at Luke per month. Many of which have multiple touch and go's. I've been at Pebble Creek multiple times specifically to see if i can stomach the noise. Unfortunately, we (my wife more than myself) cannot. People who hardly notice them must be "sonically challenged" or oblivious to their surroundings.

With my 54 year old year (fairly flat frequency response out to 18.5 KHz; which is related to my line of work) it's blatantly obvious. Yet the guy next to me would say, I "barely notice them". Part of me thinks people are in denial and/or they just are not in tune with what is going on around them. As I'm typing inside my house (2x6" walls), I can easily hear residential traffic, a blower about 5 homes away, a car stereo a block away, someone who just hit their door lock and the horn chirped about 3 houses down. Those don't bother me at the moment. But a jet flying over lasting 30 seconds does.

So the message is for people to listen for themselves and judge accordingly.
People who live in noisy areas like around Luke or Tempe Sky Harbor flight path do, in fact, not even hear it for the most part. One gets accustomed to the noise. The noise is there, of course, but the brain simply removes/ignores it. Kind of like a nagging wife.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:54 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,450,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
People who live in noisy areas like around Luke or Tempe Sky Harbor flight path do, in fact, not even hear it for the most part. One gets accustomed to the noise. The noise is there, of course, but the brain simply removes/ignores it. Kind of like a nagging wife.
LOL!! Thread over!! You win the internet!!

Old 03-14-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
LOL!! Thread over!! You win the internet!!
I've been married for close to 33 years. If my wife was a nag, I'd kick her to the curb and trade her in for a quiet version.

What Ponderosa is speaking of is how our brains specify what types of information are taken in and which are filtered out. Our sensory perception process is active and rather impressive. We tend on ignoring background noise especially when it is loud. It's called the "Cocktail Party effect" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocktail_party_effect

Think of this party effect as signal to noise ratio. Yet you quickly notice when the background noise is gone. For me, I cannot tune it out jets flying overhead. In fact, I've honed in on it. My point is that if I'm on the Litchfield and the 101, I'll be able to document a solid 50 jet events a day. Some of which will get your attention just as if I whistled at a cocktail party. But for my ears, I don't prefer jet noise. None of it. YMMV.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:12 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,217,194 times
Quote:
That puts you around I10 and near Pebble Creek
Litchfield Rd & Virginia is not near pebble creek. The difference is greater when you think of flight path

Pebble Creek gets quite a bit. Typically the areas west of the base and more aligned to the flight path and runways get more.

I now live just off Litchfield. I can hear the base music 3x a day if I'm outside or if my windows are open and not making my own noise.

I may hear jets 1x - 2x per day.

However, if I drive down Camelback towards the 303, it's almost everytime they are out and audible.

The point about knowing what works for you and visiting with open ears is good.

However, saying that the bulk of Goodyear deals with jet noise just isn't on point. The are many neighborhoods where it isn't even thought of.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Litchfield Rd & Virginia is not near pebble creek. The difference is greater when you think of flight path

Pebble Creek gets quite a bit. Typically the areas west of the base and more aligned to the flight path and runways get more.

I now live just off Litchfield. I can hear the base music 3x a day if I'm outside or if my windows are open and not making my own noise.

I may hear jets 1x - 2x per day.

However, if I drive down Camelback towards the 303, it's almost everytime they are out and audible.

The point about knowing what works for you and visiting with open ears is good.

However, saying that the bulk of Goodyear deals with jet noise just isn't on point. The are many neighborhoods where it isn't even thought of.
I clarified my point ^^ because the bulk of Goodyear is south of the Gila River. Certainly the South part of Goodyear gets a fraction of the events and sound pressure levels from Luke. But rest assured, you will hear the jets in south Goodyear. I'm not sure how much Goodyear Airport will impact south Goodyear. I didn't ask. Like I said, some love the "Sound of Freedom", some don't mind and have perfectly adapted, and some people will refuse to move that close. But Litchfield and Virginia IS by Pebble Creek. As in, under a mile from the edge of Pebble Creek. Furthermore, Litchfield and Virginia aligns up to the center of the runway. Don't take my word for it, look at this image https://www.google.com/maps/place/W+...4d-112.3580177 and see where you are in relation to the runway.

I'll be the farm that on a busy day, and in 2019, I would log a solid 30+ events at that location. But where I was sitting over looking the putting green and Virginia and Litchfield very well may have different levels. Certainly a heck of a lot more than "one or two a day" as you are noticing. Many sorties are hitting 75 Db (reference movie theater volume levels) inside of Goodyear north of the 10, And multiple times a day.

There are all kinds of factors that come into play with this topic. Like which direction the wind blows, or how sound bounces off the mountains, daily cloud cover and temperature also matter, the height of the planes, which direction the jet engine is point towards, etc. The flight patterns are pretty much set. They will change runways depending on the direction of the wind. When you get towards Verrado/Buckeye, they fly over at higher altitudes. But when the air traffic gets busy from all of the surrounding airports, air traffic control sends them back to the Gila Bend Auxiliary field.

It was explained to me by Luke that Davis Monthan, Sky Harbor, all mandate a certain boxed in patterns and they won't deviate because they want the patterns to be systematically the same (for the safely of the trainees). I've talked at great length with the people in charge. I didn't want to guess and I was depressed that a couple areas had to be taken off our list.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 03-15-2019 at 07:24 AM..

Old 03-15-2019, 10:14 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,219,303 times
I have family and friends that visit from out of state all year long and I have never had one mention hearing jet noise. We sit outside by the pool, drink cocktails, smoke cigars and enjoy ourselves all the time.

They have mentioned all the barking neighborhood dogs though.

We're not tuning out noise as we do hear something once in awhile but it certainly isn't anything that would bother anyone.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I have family and friends that visit from out of state all year long and I have never had one mention hearing jet noise. We sit outside by the pool, drink cocktails, smoke cigars and enjoy ourselves all the time.

They have mentioned all the barking neighborhood dogs though.

We're not tuning out noise as we do hear something once in awhile but it certainly isn't anything that would bother anyone.
I will say that this week has been incredibly light. As in, like it was for the past 3-4 years. Last week was 4x more in our neck of the woods. Actually, Jan and Feb were terrible. Luke got record complaints. In full disclosure, only 70ish (for over 1.x million). I was not one of them.

I hope Jan and Feb don't return. It was rough...

Old 03-15-2019, 06:49 PM

61 posts, read 48,887 times
I was sitting on Mill Street in downtown Tempe one afternoon, last spring, and I was surprised how loud and constant was the air traffic from Sky Harbor. Nobody else seemed to take notice. Similar experience the next day across the river, near Papago.
I think people DO get used to it.
The roosters go off in Maui, 5 o'clock every morning.
You don't get used to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area