Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 06:54 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
So in Goodyear, now only Pebble Creek has airport noise. Interesting. Never mind I can easily hear and see Luke jets fly over in the Sun City area from my home in Marley Park. It's called "laterally displaced" noise. Meaning, planes don't have to be over your head to hear them. While I was in Pebble Creek and on the course, I head the jet noise while jets were in Buckeye (jets pointing at Goodyear and it was faint yet present). It was much easier to hear over Sun City and you could see them. In both cases, the engine was pointed our direction. You don't hear them coming back nearly as much.

If Goodyear Airport has "virtually no noise", then the airport has virtually no air traffic. All things being equal, the closer you get to an airport, the louder it gets. The flight pattern of Goodyear Airport is as follows (4 nautical miles to each side of the airport). See http://www.re.state.az.us/airportmap...se&Traffic.pdf Air traffic . It looks like the flight pattern is over your home as well.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Goodyear_Airport "In 2007 the airport had 188,136 aircraft operations, average 515 per day: 93% general aviation, <1% airline, 5% military and 1% air taxi. 223 aircraft are based at the airport: 73% single engine, 11% multi-engine, 16% jet and <1% helicopters.[1]." So yea, of course Goodyear Airport generates noise! I'm not saying it's going to bother you (airplanes overhead is a fact of life). I hear small aircraft over my home. A few of them yesterday. I didn't bother me but I sure and the Hell will hear them if I tune them in. Now if I heard 10 per hour like I did while looking at a homes in Westgate Ranch in Scottsdale here https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wi...4d-111.8642383 I personally could live in Westgate Ranch; home of many $1M homes. Notice how it isn't right next to the Scottsdale airport? I was under their flight pattern. I pointed it out to the realtor and said this was a show stopper for me. She lives in that hood and said no one has complained. But her ears worked and she heard it. Each time a plane flew over, my wife looked at me (as men, we know what "the look" is).

To see complaints for GYR (Goodyear Airport) it's included in with Sky Harbor's report http://www.skyharbor.com/docs/defaul...=6fa09588_Just in January of 2019, there GYR had 6,424 flights. Obviously there is noise because 58 people complained in January of 2019 specifically about GYR.

Anyways, the horse has been beaten. The proper statement is that a lot of people don't notice the air traffic around Goodyear. Parts of Goodyear is louder than others. Goodyear is HUGE and a big swatch of the town has a lot less noise making it uneventful for most people. Yet others learn to live with it and it doesn't bother them. The same can be said where I live.
Out here in Estrella we probably get more noise from GY airport than from Luke. The Luke noise is decidedly louder but not that frequent. The airport gets traffic from small personal prop planes that go right over us on landing approaches. It is a day here and there, probably depens on weather or something. They are noisy - not jet noise, but you know what I mean. Back during the race at PIR, there were quite a few private jets coming and going too. GY airport houses a repair facility so we sometimes see the commercial size jets coming in for a landing (rarely taking off - they must turn). They don't make a lot of noise but are so low you almost feel you could reach up and touch them. We also see the various blimps flying around before sporting events at State Farm as they usually tie up at GY and come out here to take the mountain and desert shots they air during the games. All in all though, GY airport is pretty much a non-factor and not anything I would consider if considering a move to this part of the city.

As for other parts, we of course often go to GY near the freeway to Walmart, to the shops and gas stations. I have rarely noticed Luke jets there. On the other hand, I have a storage unit at Northern and the 303 and it is absolutely deafening in that area when I go to check on my RV. Honestly I do not know how people can live with that. It gets even worse if you go west on Northern/Olive toward the White Tanks. They have a number of new developments going up there. The sales offices have big signs in front warning of the noise hazards, but they are selling like hotcakes, so I guess people are willing to rationalize away the downsides in return for an affordable new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 07:24 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,154,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Out here in Estrella we probably get more noise from GY airport than from Luke. The Luke noise is decidedly louder but not that frequent. The airport gets traffic from small personal prop planes that go right over us on landing approaches. It is a day here and there, probably depens on weather or something. They are noisy - not jet noise, but you know what I mean. Back during the race at PIR, there were quite a few private jets coming and going too. GY airport houses a repair facility so we sometimes see the commercial size jets coming in for a landing (rarely taking off - they must turn). They don't make a lot of noise but are so low you almost feel you could reach up and touch them. We also see the various blimps flying around before sporting events at State Farm as they usually tie up at GY and come out here to take the mountain and desert shots they air during the games. All in all though, GY airport is pretty much a non-factor and not anything I would consider if considering a move to this part of the city.

As for other parts, we of course often go to GY near the freeway to Walmart, to the shops and gas stations. I have rarely noticed Luke jets there. On the other hand, I have a storage unit at Northern and the 303 and it is absolutely deafening in that area when I go to check on my RV. Honestly I do not know how people can live with that. It gets even worse if you go west on Northern/Olive toward the White Tanks. They have a number of new developments going up there. The sales offices have big signs in front warning of the noise hazards, but they are selling like hotcakes, so I guess people are willing to rationalize away the downsides in return for an affordable new home.
Like always, you have a realistic perspective. Thanks for posting.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:13 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,218,212 times
Quote:
Like always, you have a realistic perspective. Thanks for posting.
The noise he is talking about in the second paragraph is not Goodyear. He says the Goodyear Airport is a non factor. He also says he has rarely noticed Luke jets up near the I-10. Why is his view a "realistic" view but the rest of us saying them same thing are just not noticing the noise???

You telling everyone that "most of Goodyear" has a noise problem, is far from a "realistic perspective". You should follow his lead.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:39 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
Yeah - Ponderosa basically confirmed what we said

Keep knowing more about the experience in an area than people who have lived in the area for more than a decade plus

When I first moved to the area the was a stop sign controlling the exit from I-10 at estella ..... pretty sleepy and quiet

Old 03-17-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
You telling everyone that "most of Goodyear" has a noise problem, is far from a "realistic perspective". You should follow his lead.
Follow along. I clarified this earlier. But I'll do it again. Earlier, I said:
Quote:
I clarified my point ^^ because the bulk of Goodyear is south of the Gila River. Certainly the South part of Goodyear gets a fraction of the events and sound pressure levels from Luke. But rest assured, you will hear the jets in south Goodyear. I'm not sure how much Goodyear Airport will impact south Goodyear. I didn't ask......
I said he was realistic because he is a balanced poster. Including this topic like:
Quote:
People who live in noisy areas like around Luke or Tempe Sky Harbor flight path do, in fact, not even hear it for the most part. One gets accustomed to the noise. The noise is there, of course, but the brain simply removes/ignores it. Kind of like a nagging wife.
Later, he said he heard the jets from Luke in his hood (in Estrella).
More specifically he said:
Quote:
Out here in Estrella we probably get more noise from GY airport than from Luke. The Luke noise is decidedly louder but not that frequent.
Yep! He lives miles south of you in Goodyear (and farther from Luke). That makes sense again.

Then he said:
Quote:
The airport gets traffic from small personal prop planes that go right over us on landing approaches. It is a day here and there, probably deepens on weather or something. They are noisy - not jet noise, but you know what I mean.
Yep. I do know what he means.

Then,

Quote:
I have a storage unit at Northern and the 303 and it is absolutely deafening in that area when I go to check on my RV.
Absolutely! If you are on either side of Luke (take off of landing) the jets create a MASSIVE amount of noise. As in, 115 Db (hearing damage levels).

Here is what you are saying. Luke as a whole in a non-factor in your relatives rental home in Pebble Creek. And, certainly not in your home where you had to sign a waiver and the owner of your in-laws rental unit had to sign a waiver. Everyone else experiences noise: but not you guys. The several hundred complaints from Goodyear airport alone per year are from people who are imagining air traffic noise: just like me. Thanks for clarify.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 03-17-2019 at 10:59 AM..

Old 03-17-2019, 11:05 AM

You are out of your element Donnie

Old 03-17-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:

Absolutely! If you are on either side of Luke (take off of landing) the jets create a MASSIVE amount of noise. As in, 115 Db (hearing damage levels).

But Luke as a whole in a non-factor in your relatives rental home in Pebble Creek. And, certainly not in your home where you had to sign a waiver and the owner of your inlaws rental unit had to sign a waiver. Everyone else experiences noise. The multi hundreds of complaints from Goodyear airport per year are also imagining problems. Thanks for clarify.
There you go again..."everyone else experiences noise". I have never heard one of my neighbors mention or complain about aircraft noise and I've lived here for 11 years. Somehow you, that has never lived in Goodyear, knows better? As I have said, barking dogs are MUCH more of a noise problem than any aircraft where I live. I didn't have to sign a waiver for the barking dogs.

The area he is talking about is 4 miles away from Pebble Creek and 5 miles from where my in-laws rent. It is 8 miles from my house. You can't use what he hears at the 303 and Northern to justify your view of Goodyear's noise situation.

I had to sign a waiver for a lot of things (freeway, superfund site, airport, prison, etc.), none of these things affect me or my neighbors on a daily basis.

Last edited by LBTRS; 03-17-2019 at 11:35 AM..

Old 03-17-2019, 11:25 AM

Yeah, in my initial post I mentioned that around the 303 and Camelback it's pretty constant ..... same with northern

However, unless you live on the 303 or in the REI or other large commercial space it doesn't really matter. That is not where the housing sits.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
There you go again..."everyone else experiences noise". I have never heard one of my neighbors mention or complain about aircraft noise and I've lived here for 11 years. Somehow you, that has never lived in Goodyear, knows better? As I have said, barking dogs are MUCH more of a noise problem than any aircraft where I live. I didn't have to sign a waiver for the barking dogs.

The area he is talking is 4 miles away from Pebble Creek and 5 miles from where my in-laws rent. It is 8 miles from my house. You can't use what he hears at the 303 and Northern to justify your view of Goodyear's noise situation.

I had to sign a waiver for a lot of things (freeway, superfund site, airport, prison, etc.), none of these things affect me or my neighbors on a daily basis.
Here is what I am going to do, when it gets noisy again ( I assume we agree Luke goes in spurts), I'm going to head out your development and measure the sound pressure level. I will map it. When I do, I fully predict you will still be in denial JUST as your in laws are. I specifically paid a compliment to Ponderosa because he's not in denial (or deaf).

There is a chance that I have got it all wrong. And that plane noise isn't a factor in your hood. Just like it isn't for my neighbor who is 100 feet from my home (all the while is bugs the crap out of me). And the Scottsdale realtor who lives by the Scottsdale Airport flight pattern and said "no one complains or has ever mentioned it". Something tells me that I could show her the website that with the Total Airport complaints from Scottsdale and she would still be in denial.

The laws of physics are in place. You live by Luke. I fully predict I will measure multiple events WHEN THEY ARE ACTIVE. When I hear them around me, I know they they will be around you. If they aren't, I will be shocked and post according. I will also tell my Luke neighbor to remove your home from the list of Luke noise neighborhoods. Because there is no reason for the warning.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Here is what I am going to do, when it gets noisy again ( I assume we agree Luke goes in spurts), I'm going to head out your development and measure the sound pressure level. I will map it. When I do, I fully predict you will still be in denial JUST as your in laws are. I specifically paid a compliment to Ponderosa because he's not in denial (or deaf).

There is a chance that I have got it all wrong. And that plane noise isn't a factor in your hood. Just like it isn't for my neighbor who is 100 feet from my home (all the while is bugs the crap out of me). And the Scottsdale realtor who lives by the Scottsdale Airport flight pattern and said "no one complains or has ever mentioned it". Something tells me that I could show her the website that with the Total Airport complaints from Scottsdale and she would still be in denial.

The laws of physics are in place. You live by Luke. I fully predict I will measure multiple events WHEN THEY ARE ACTIVE. When I hear them around me, I know they they will be around you. If they aren't, I will be shocked and post according.
Knock yourself out. I am in the development on the northeast corner of Yuma Rd and Citrus Rd. I don't know what you mean by "event" as I have said, you can hear Luke jets far off in the distance. If that is an "event" then don't waste your time. You definitely won't hear a noise problem.

"denial just as your in-laws are" is again stretching the truth about the actual situation to attempt to make your point about something you know little about. That suggests that my in-laws have said they can't hear noise where noise exists. I stated they have never mentioned it and that I don't recall hearing jet noise while visiting them. We've never discussed it so I don't know how they can be in denial about something that has never been discussed?

Last edited by LBTRS; 03-17-2019 at 12:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area