Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 10:14 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,045,482 times

Advertisements

Yup, JGMotorsport is right. The new homes in the south all look the same--one story homes with huge, steep roofs and generally brick exterior walls. I think those huge roofs look terrible. Not sure where that style came from.

On the other hand, I'm not sure why builders here don't use multiple exterior finishes, like stucco on portion, brick or stone accents. Another siding I never see here is metal (modern style) or fiber/cement siding. But, I haven't looked at new home communities here lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 10:59 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,687,636 times
I always check the fashion and lifestyle magazines to tell me what is hip and trendy. Like this house I just bought with the deep purple front door and shutters. It looks stupid and hideous but all my friends are salivating over it. They think I'm a real hipster. Seriously, if you're not hip and fresh then you're a zero....

Old 04-03-2019, 05:45 PM

202 posts, read 219,992 times
As others have mentioned, historic districts are your answer. You will find older homes that were built by people who actually cared how their homes looked like and at a time when it was affordable to do so. Nowadays, you have to build a custom home that would set you back a lot of money. I doubt that is what you're looking for.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:30 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,921,280 times
We also found most developments in the suburbs of Phoenix quite similar and boring. Fortunately, we found an older area in Avondale that is different from the standard recipe> no HOA, large lots, no street lights, and large animals. Even though the streets are normal width, it feels much more open due to the large yards and space between homes, which are mostly ranch style.
The area is not upscale, so there are a few homes that are not maintained well. I have no problem with this, but it could be offensive to some folks.
There are pockets of older non-HOA neighborhoods all over Phoenix. Some, like ours, are more agricultural, but there are older ones from the 40's and 50's, that are very cool. With a bit of persistence, you can find them. Good Luck.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:15 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,970,054 times
They have to appeal to people, who consider salt a spice.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:42 AM

872 posts, read 999,249 times
I guess you would hate the houses in Sedona too

Old 04-09-2019, 12:37 PM

1,691 posts, read 1,270,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handymanjojo View Post
I really want to find a house I like, but they all are so boring and so ugly. I’m so sick of the same beige wall/ tile floor combo in every house in every price point. Or the supper goddy paint colors. Even the brand new houses are done up in that same beige wall and beige tile combo. I’m so sick of looking at houses- there’s nothing fresh or hip in any price point 😩
I don't disagree with you. As a realtor, I'll say that finding "character" homes is a challenge, especially in low price ranges. But if you start at downtown and go all the way up 7th Street to Greenway....you will find a plethora of homes that have a lot of character and charm. They aren't always cheap, but you are paying for uniqueness.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:16 PM

52 posts, read 39,342 times
The problem with making houses non-boring is everyone's idea of what's tasteful varies greatly. What is cool and nice to you could be hideous to someone else. So the safest way to protect your real estate investment long term is to make it neutral and appeal to the widest market possible.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:38 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,639,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life_explorer View Post
The problem with making houses non-boring is everyone's idea of what's tasteful varies greatly. What is cool and nice to you could be hideous to someone else. So the safest way to protect your real estate investment long term is to make it neutral and appeal to the widest market possible.
I don’t find this to be true. Just as some find specific designs unappealing, there are plenty who don’t want anything to do with “neutral” or cookie cutter. Mid century modern homes have likely appreciated quicker and sell faster and are fairly specific.

Here are a couple awesome recent examples (check out how quickly they went under contract):

https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Phoenix/30.../home/27980829

https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Phoenix/11.../home/26968875

Old 04-09-2019, 05:56 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,275,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I don’t find this to be true. Just as some find specific designs unappealing, there are plenty who don’t want anything to do with “neutral” or cookie cutter. Mid century modern homes have likely appreciated quicker and sell faster and are fairly specific.

Here are a couple awesome recent examples (check out how quickly they went under contract):

https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Phoenix/30.../home/27980829

https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Phoenix/11.../home/26968875
I don't know if that's true. I have a mid century home I rent out in Scottsdale and it hasn't appreciated as fast as a standard ranch property I own also in Scottsdale, based on recent comps. Although the ranch is walkable to Old Town and the other near McDonald Rd, maybe that's the reason. Percentage wise the ranch has appreciated better.

I'm seeing more and more varying of colors in new developments too, lots of blues and greys and whites and varying elevations too. Although I think it's a price point issue with the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area