Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 02:43 PM

306 posts, read 336,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Libertarianism is like Communism. It only works -- in its purest form -- in small, homogenous populations where people share values and everything is mutually agreed upon. It renders itself ineffective the larger and more diverse a population gets.

Just like Communism, Libertarianism is a fringe ideology with a longer track record of abject failure than success.

The Short, Unhappy Life of a Libertarian Paradise:
https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...america-215313

"I've Seen All Sorts of Horrific Things in My Time. But None as Detrimental to the Country as This"
https://newrepublic.com/article/1205...l-country-this

Atlas Mugged: How a Libertarian Paradise in Chile Fell Apart.
https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/b...ged-922-v21n10
I'm not asking for all or nothing Libertarianism. A move toward personal freedom and responsibility by reducing social safety nets would be a good start. Something in the middle of the political spectrum, with actual impact on spending and personal accountability. That's reasonable I think?

Old 04-25-2019, 02:48 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,548,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint8ball View Post
I'm not asking for all or nothing Libertarianism. A move toward personal freedom and responsibility by reducing social safety nets would be a good start. Something in the middle of the political spectrum, with actual impact on spending and personal accountability. That's reasonable I think?

Which social safety nets? The ones in existence are tattered and torn to the point of not having much of an effect...which, I think, is what their detractors wanted in order to prove a point.

For all of the complaining conservatives do about California being a "welfare state", it is not nearly as robust as some of the social democracies in Europe. Belgium, for example, is a very modest social democracy and California still ranks below Belgium in what it provides.

Arizona's "safety net" is the equivalent of the skeleton of a dead horse that had osteoporosis. In other words, tap it too hard and it will evaporate into nothing.

Is that not satisfactory?

Old 04-25-2019, 02:48 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,662,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
Millenials voting in Democrats and other progressive crazies like Sinema

Anyone else voting McCain

I wasn't making a correlation, it was 2 statements
Sinema is far from a progressive crazy. She actually votes bipartisan. She voted NO on the Green New Deal when most Dems were C****** S*** to do that.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:54 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,664,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
I am trying my hardest to get more and more diehard conservative escapees from California and elsewhere. They are coming.
I'm bringing in reinforcements.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:56 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,664,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
It seems like we’re becoming very moderate with a growing slant toward social liberalism.
I'm more than OK with social liberalism. I'm not OK with the tax-and-spend crap, or the anti-freedom liberalism. I believe the transgender multicutural couple should be able to defend their pot farms with automatic weapons.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:06 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I'm more than OK with social liberalism. I'm not OK with the tax-and-spend crap, or the anti-freedom liberalism. I believe the transgender multicutural couple should be able to defend their pot farms with automatic weapons.
That seems reasonable.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:06 PM

306 posts, read 336,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Which social safety nets? The ones in existence are tattered and torn to the point of not having much of an effect...which, I think, is what their detractors wanted in order to prove a point.

For all of the complaining conservatives do about California being a "welfare state", it is not nearly as robust as some of the social democracies in Europe. Belgium, for example, is a very modest social democracy and California still ranks below Belgium in what it provides.

Arizona's "safety net" is the equivalent of the skeleton of a dead horse that had osteoporosis. In other words, tap it too hard and it will evaporate into nothing.

Is that not satisfactory?
The programs may suck, but we're still spending on them. That's my issue. It's not surprising that they are flawed. Government gets involved in areas where it doesn't belong. As for AZ safety nets, I'm not very familiar with them. I'm more concerned about federal programs that hit taxpayers hard.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:37 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,630,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
Millenials voting in Democrats and other progressive crazies like Sinema

Anyone else voting McCain

I wasn't making a correlation, it was 2 statements
You’re not really making any statements. You just seem to be making wild accusations without anything to back up what you’re saying.

First you claimed that millennials were responsible for putting a man in office who had been there since 1982, now the claim is that millennials voted in Jeff Flake. In reality, Republicans elected Flake and McCain and then many jumped ship when both of them expressed opposition to some of Trump’s policies. Somehow all of that is now the fault of millennials?

Sinema was elected by the majority of voters in Arizona. The majority of the electorate in this state is not millennials. We have a significant population of middle aged individuals and senior citizens.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:33 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,548,895 times
Quote:
The programs may suck, but we're still spending on them. That's my issue. It's not surprising that they are flawed. Government gets involved in areas where it doesn't belong. As for AZ safety nets, I'm not very familiar with them. I'm more concerned about federal programs that hit taxpayers hard.
hmmmm....?

Like the U.S. Military?

Old 04-25-2019, 04:48 PM

61 posts, read 48,933 times
Quote:
Nothing hits taxpayers harder than Pentagon spending. The main reason European countries are able to provide affordable medical care and higher education for their citizens is because they don't spend ridiculous amounts of money on their military, while we do. Remember the so-called "Peace Dividend" we were supposed to realize at the end of the Cold War? It all disappeared in the aftermath of 9-11, and no one even questions the obscene amount of money allocated every year to the Pentagon, which doesn't even bother to account for the trillions of dollars flowing through its coffers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area