Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 05:09 PM

306 posts, read 335,615 times

Advertisements

Yep military spending is way too high also. But that's a legitimate role of federal gov't at least. Needs to be cut regardless.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:44 PM

306 posts, read 335,615 times
It sucks that wanting to cut military spending is a dog whistle for not caring about our troops or being some sort of commie.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:56 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,611,388 times
LOL. Arizona is definitely purple. We have an $11 hr minimum wage with annual increases, mandatory employer provided sick pay, expanded medicaid coverage, felons can vote when they finish serving their time, just to start with. AZ may be fiscally conservative, and it may vote red on national elections, but it's not socially conservative.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:47 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Do not let liberals get a toe hold and infect AZ with their progressive notions.
AZ will be ruined like they did to California with a decade.
And AZ does not have the economic engine of Silicon Valley to prop it up.

I'm doing my part to get as many common sense people over here.

If a Republican majority here did to the Democrats what the Democrat Majority did to Republicans in California, the AZ Blues would be extremely unhappy.
I've lived here since 2001, originally from NY. And I know what it was like when it was still uber red around here. It sucked. I like that it's getting more moderate

Old 04-25-2019, 06:55 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,980,411 times
A few years ago the only party losing more registered voters than the GOP was Democrats. Donations to the GOP being down aren't necessarily telling of support. Especially when the donations to other parties aren't used as a comparison.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:35 PM

1,336 posts, read 926,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I've lived here since 2001, originally from NY. And I know what it was like when it was still uber red around here. It sucked. I like that it's getting more moderate
What was it that you didn't like ? I'm curious.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:07 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Phoenix used to be a wasteland with nice but boring suburbs. Now? It’s made great strides, built a light rail, expanded college campuses, improved night life, walkability, and improved its economy from real estate to tech and other sectors. Tempe has also exploded and is another liberal area.

The only things 2001 Phoenix had on current Phoenix is less people and it was a little more green in the core.

But I’ve lived here for a long time (too long honestly) and current Phoenix is probably the best it’s been since it was a much smaller metro.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:32 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,191,885 times
I remember as a kid in the 1970s, my aunt from Seattle visited Phoenix and told us what a dump it was with trash everywhere.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:48 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
JG summed it up pretty good in post #47

Old 04-25-2019, 09:10 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Phoenix used to be a wasteland with nice but boring suburbs. Now? It’s made great strides, built a light rail, expanded college campuses, improved night life, walkability, and improved its economy from real estate to tech and other sectors. Tempe has also exploded and is another liberal area.

The only things 2001 Phoenix had on current Phoenix is less people and it was a little more green in the core.

But I’ve lived here for a long time (too long honestly) and current Phoenix is probably the best it’s been since it was a much smaller metro.
Most of the Phoenix economy is unchanged since 2001, the biggest sector is still construction with tech at under half the size of construction. Construction, retail, and manufacturing are a third of the Phoenix job market for males. Construction and tech don't show up for the female numbers where healthcare and retail make up a third for them. Tech is barely a blip, the metro is a service and construction/real estate based economy and that won't change anytime soon.

Phoenix has a crime and unemployment problem, similar to Tempe and Mesa. The unemployment rate for the City of Phoenix is above the national average, around 5%. The crime rate is also quite a bit higher too, even the Maryvale area has a lower crime rate than downtown. For comparison Scottsdale, Peoria, Chandler have unemployment rates around 3.5% and crime rates around half of Phoenix. Even Surprise, a city with a very high unemployment rate, has a much lower crime rate than Phoenix, Tempe, and Mesa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area