Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 02:34 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,397,887 times

Advertisements

I thought it was against the law to bring anything other than a service animal into a grocery store. Even if it is the stores and contract security don't seem to enforce it.

I understand the vague service animal definition and businesses are afraid to get involved because of lawsuits. People with non service dogs understand this fear and go nuclear at employees to back them down. It works.

I love dogs. Dogs are filthy by nature. They sniff everything and everywhere and you know what I'm talking about. I was in an easy valley grocery store last night and as a guy walked his dog out past the registers it crapped all over as it walked. 5 or 6 human size piles over a 10 foot length. The guy knew and rushed out.

It was almost midnight or I think it would have turned into a huge deal. People were stepping in it. Dog had no service jacket.

I'll bet from floor level to 24" high every grocery store in the valley is covered in fecal matter from dogs sniffing and slobbering all over everything they can get in contact with their face.

In a gas station a couple days before that a guy was at the counter. He watched his dog slobber and sniff every bit of food and candy it could reach. No service jacket.

And the little dogs at the grocery that people put in the small high area by the handle of shopping carts. It's meant for food not dog feces.

Where the hell is the health department in all of this?

Old 07-31-2019, 02:39 PM

To clarify on service vs emotional support dog. By law you can only ask two questions about a service dog. Jerk dog owners know this. They say it's a service dog, which it's not and they know the difference. Then they say it's an emotional support dog.

When they are told it's not allowed they throw a yelling and threatening fit at the employee and the employee backs down.

I see this almost every day at a facility I go to plus other random stores and valley events.

Old 07-31-2019, 02:48 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,046,337 times
It's well-known this activity has gotten out of hand. I believe the Trump Administration will revisit the ADA on this issue. Then the states can follow suit if they choose.

Old 07-31-2019, 02:50 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,680,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
To clarify on service vs emotional support dog. By law you can only ask two questions about a service dog. Jerk dog owners know this. They say it's a service dog, which it's not and they know the difference. Then they say it's an emotional support dog.

Service dogs are very specific. Anything else is not a service dog, and businesses should be free to ban them (or not) as they see fit. "Emotional support animal" == NOT A SERVICE ANIMAL!

Old 07-31-2019, 03:35 PM

2,791 posts, read 7,485,357 times
I've seen the same entitlement mentality on display in restaurants and coffee houses (and not just on patios approved as dog-friendly) and on public transportation, where non-service animals are allowed on buses and trains only if they are in containers.

Maricopa County Environmental Services, which regulates restaurant and grocery cleanliness, has a complaint form. I don't use it liberally because often the customer has sneaked the non-service dog into an establishment without staff knowing. The complaint form comes in handy if staff are alerted and don't do anything about the situation.

https://www.maricopa.gov/631/Environmental-Services

Old 07-31-2019, 04:02 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,261,956 times
I doubt that your perception of every grocery store in the valley being covered in fecal matter is accurate. That said, I do share your concern with the service/emotional support dog nonsense.

I work at a senior healthcare facility (nursing home) and what a nightmare this is for us. We have patients that can't take care of themselves and demand emotional support animals that they can't properly care for. They can't get themselves out of bed let alone care for an animal. When we address the situation we are threatened with litigation.

I was in the airport two weeks ago and watched a "emotional support dog" pee all over the floor and the owner didn't move a muscle to clean it up afterwards. They drug the poor dog on the airplane and flew hours across the country.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Service dogs are very specific. Anything else is not a service dog, and businesses should be free to ban them (or not) as they see fit. "Emotional support animal" == NOT A SERVICE ANIMAL!
I agree 200%.

The problem is the dog owners know they can get away with bullying employees. Just the threat of an ada lawsuit sends management running. And no low level employee is going to risk their job when they see their bosses act that way.

These people really are scumbags, taking advantage of laws meant for disabled people.

Last edited by madison999; 07-31-2019 at 05:37 PM..

Old 07-31-2019, 05:09 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,776,710 times
Unfortunately, there are gaggles of "Ambulance Chasers" just waiting to represent these Whacko Service Dog Cases.

Sorry, but I am a firm believer that NO DOG, regardless of status, belongs in a public place that either sells or serves food.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:22 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,680,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I work at a senior healthcare facility (nursing home) and what a nightmare this is for us. We have patients that can't take care of themselves and demand emotional support animals that they can't properly care for. They can't get themselves out of bed let alone care for an animal. When we address the situation we are threatened with litigation.

Come on. Someone who can't even get out of bed isn't going to sue you. Lawyers want money up-front. It's pretty rare for them to take a dubious case on contingency.

Tell them no.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Come on. Someone who can't even get out of bed isn't going to sue you. Lawyers want money up-front. It's pretty rare for them to take a dubious case on contingency.

Tell them no.
Please stay on topic.

Poster never said they were poor, but the fact that you had to throw that comment in here leaves me with one question...

When's the last time your dog crapped all over somewhere it shouldn't have been in the first place and you didn't clean it up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area