Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 12:40 PM

13,890 posts, read 8,086,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Keys, planes allow a certain number of animals on a plane. Small ones are often in a carrier under the seat and you would never know. People pay to fly them unless it’s a service or emotional support dog. We have flown a lot with our dogs in a carrier.

Do airlines ask owners to provide the paperwork verifying the pet is an emotional support animal

Or do they generally just take the word of the owner?

Old 08-08-2019, 04:41 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,671,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
What kind of emotional support animal do you own?

No. It's not "serious". Nor are bratty kids in a grocery store or people who cut in line, talk loud on their phone etc etc. That doesn't mean that they aren't rude or think that rules don't apply to them. That's people's point. Peer pressure helps curb unwanted behavior.
I don’t have an emotional support animal and I’m not say that there aren’t annoyances out there. I’m pointing out that your step-by-step instructions on how to “curb unwanted behavior” in others is a bit much (a lot much!). Live and let live.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:39 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,920,999 times
I am a licensed clinical social worker who gets asked regularly to help people get their dogs certified. I often say no, because it is people who are just trying to game the system. Many other professionals have no such qualms about automatically saying yes.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:48 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,920,999 times
Quote:
Meo, yes since I spent my career in this field and dogs have changed people’s lives. Having a harness is important but I wanted to point out that legally they don’t need to wear a service dog vest although I think it helps people know that the dog is working and not to pet it. Thanks for sharing your story. Some people just really don’t understand.
Yes, people who truly need and use one are an inspiration. They should be leading the fight against the abuse of the system.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:53 AM

50,970 posts, read 24,467,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I don’t have an emotional support animal and I’m not say that there aren’t annoyances out there. I’m pointing out that your step-by-step instructions on how to “curb unwanted behavior” in others is a bit much (a lot much!). Live and let live.
Live and let live does not mean anything goes.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:13 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,795,792 times
Quote:
Keys, planes allow a certain number of animals on a plane. Small ones are often in a carrier under the seat and you would never know.
Cat hair gives me asthma. I'll definitely know if there's a cat around even if I can't see it.

Old 08-09-2019, 03:29 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,671,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Live and let live does not mean anything goes.
Nope and I never suggested that it doesn’t. It doesn’t mean meddling to the point that you go out of your way to try to change the behavior of others though.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:19 AM

50,970 posts, read 24,467,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Nope and I never suggested that it doesn’t. It doesn’t mean meddling to the point that you go out of your way to try to change the behavior of others though.
It's not meddling when some people are not behaving reasonably in public. Things that are your right in private where only you are affected should not always be your right in public where others are affected.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:04 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,829,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
I agree 200%.

The problem is the dog owners know they can get away with bullying employees. Just the threat of an ada lawsuit sends management running. And no low level employee is going to risk their job when they see their bosses act that way.

These people really are scumbags, taking advantage of laws meant for disabled people.
Excellent post. Totally agree.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:08 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,829,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I am a licensed clinical social worker who gets asked regularly to help people get their dogs certified. I often say no, because it is people who are just trying to game the system. Many other professionals have no such qualms about automatically saying yes.
This is the problem, gaming the system by a bunch entitled people who think they can take their "emotional support pets" anywhere, including food establishments. I don't want to be sniffed while I'm shopping for avocados in a grocery store. And I don't want to be sitting in a restaurant (inside) and have dogs at adjacent tables who could poop or pee or bark at any moment. Not the dining experience I am paying for. Service dogs are very well trained and there are very few of them compared to these bogus "emotional support" dogs that are not trained. I've never seen a service dog in a restaurant, but I've seen plenty of these emotional support "pets" in restaurants.

Very glad you are saying "no" to these scammers.

It's just people seeing what they can get away with. No different than someone swigging Arizona Tea in a grocery store, and spitting it back into the bottle and putting it on the shelf and filming it for social media. Jerks and scammers.

Last edited by xz2y; 08-11-2019 at 09:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area