Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 09:10 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,829,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Do airlines ask owners to provide the paperwork verifying the pet is an emotional support animal

Or do they generally just take the word of the owner?
The "paperwork" is available online, easy to download and "sign." Totally fraudulent, but available. The "vests" are also available online.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
The "service dog" craze is getting out of hand. Also, when did small dogs become fashion accessories that can go anywhere?
I saw a woman in Whole Foods the other day with one of those rat-like dogs in a sling, usually meant for small babies. Unbelievable. Entitled bunch.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:23 PM

2,390 posts, read 2,726,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post

Where the hell is the health department in all of this?
When you ask where the health department is - I didn't see any mention of your contacting them, or the corporate headquarters. Did you? That's how to get the ball rolling.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:57 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,133,817 times
Quote:
That's what I've told rental applicants in the past. You need to provide the proper legal documentation.

Funny how no one seemed interested in providing such paperwork.

Like I'm supposed to believe the badge the animal is wearing is legit because an owner tells me it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I am a licensed clinical social worker who gets asked regularly to help people get their dogs certified. I often say no, because it is people who are just trying to game the system. Many other professionals have no such qualms about automatically saying yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
The "paperwork" is available online, easy to download and "sign." Totally fraudulent, but available. The "vests" are also available online.
Quote:
I saw a woman in Whole Foods the other day with one of those rat-like dogs in a sling, usually meant for small babies. Unbelievable. Entitled bunch.

So much misinformation and conflating the meanings of terms:

Service Dog - (or mini-horse) - is an animal specifically trained to mitigate a person's disability. It is NOT an emotional support dog nor is it a therapy dog. The 3 are far different in function and training.

There is NO REGISTRATION required by the ADA for a service dog. Some states OFFER registration and provide benefits for a service dog to be registered as such. That same registration is NOT available to therapy or emotional support animals.

Vests are not required by the ADA.

There is only certification provided by a company that trains SDs and the handlers as to its (the company's) standards. It means diddlysquat to anyone not a member of that company or organization.

Housing - whether SD or other assistance animal is covered by HUD or FHA and is not regulated by the ADA.

The ADA is not a regulatory body and complaints of violations of the ADA are handled by the DOJ.

Many service dogs are owner trained. There are 2 standards and 2 questions that a SD can be held to that involve whether the owner/handler is disabled and whether the dog is trained to mitigate said disability.

There is no valid paperwork and no one can ask for paperwork - except in violation of the ADA and that makes it reportable to the DOJ.

Small dogs in slings: a dog whose sole purpose is to alert the handler of a change in body chemistry due to several different ailments (such as diabetes, heart rate, blood pressure, allergens,and a host of others that are predictable based on the smell of breath) do NEED to be carried or accessible to its handler's breath in order to prevent what might be a life-endangering event. Do some research before you get your panties in a wad about a small SD being carried in a sling.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I am a licensed clinical social worker who gets asked regularly to help people get their dogs certified. I often say no, because it is people who are just trying to game the system. Many other professionals have no such qualms about automatically saying yes.

If it's a SD, then the owner knows a psychologist or social worker cannot certify any dog - and wouldn't ask. Perhaps an open mind to the real question would help distinguish: I need a letter from a treating physician/SW to establish my NEED for an assistance animal for HOUSING. That is under the FHA/HUD which does require the HANDLER to have a need for said animal. Obviously an MSW or psychologist is unqualified to certify any dog unless s/he is also training said animals. Especially since there IS NOT CERTIFICATION in the USA of Service Dogs. Canada and many other countries DO have certifications.

:::stepping off soapbox::::

I am the handler of an owner trained service dog. I have read the ADA.

Old 08-12-2019, 02:54 PM

13,895 posts, read 8,086,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post

Service Dog - (or mini-horse) - is an animal specifically trained to mitigate a person's disability. It is NOT an emotional support dog nor is it a therapy dog. The 3 are far different in function and training.

There is NO REGISTRATION required by the ADA for a service dog. Some states OFFER registration and provide benefits for a service dog to be registered as such. That same registration is NOT available to therapy or emotional support animals.

There is only certification provided by a company that trains SDs and the handlers as to its (the company's) standards. It means diddlysquat to anyone not a member of that company or organization.

Housing - whether SD or other assistance animal is covered by HUD or FHA and is not regulated by the ADA.

The ADA is not a regulatory body and complaints of violations of the ADA are handled by the DOJ.

Many service dogs are owner trained. There are 2 standards and 2 questions that a SD can be held to that involve whether the owner/handler is disabled and whether the dog is trained to mitigate said disability.

There is no valid paperwork and no one can ask for paperwork - except in violation of the ADA and that makes it reportable to the DOJ.

Small dogs in slings: a dog whose sole purpose is to alert the handler of a change in body chemistry due to several different ailments (such as diabetes, heart rate, blood pressure, allergens,and a host of others that are predictable based on the smell of breath) do NEED to be carried or accessible to its handler's breath in order to prevent what might be a life-endangering event. Do some research before you get your panties in a wad about a small SD being carried in a sling.

If it's a SD, then the owner knows a psychologist or social worker cannot certify any dog - and wouldn't ask. Perhaps an open mind to the real question would help distinguish: I need a letter from a treating physician/SW to establish my NEED for an assistance animal for HOUSING. That is under the FHA/HUD which does require the HANDLER to have a need for said animal. Obviously an MSW or psychologist is unqualified to certify any dog unless s/he is also training said animals. Especially since there IS NOT CERTIFICATION in the USA of Service Dogs. Canada and many other countries DO have certifications.

My rental lease says no pets.

My understanding is I can require an applicant to provide legitimate documentation which supports their claim the pet is either a service animal or an emotional support pet. I would need something like this:
http://servicedogcentral.org/content/node/285

Then I'll have a RE attorney look at the applicant's documentation to verify it's legitimate.

Although as of today no one has actually provided such paperwork.

Why not?

My guess is such applicants were lying and decided to move on to the next rental listing. Which suits me just fine.

Last edited by john3232; 08-12-2019 at 03:18 PM..

Old 08-13-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post

People are not objecting to actual service dogs. Those are few and far between. What a lot of people are objecting to are the bogus "emotional support" pets that people bring into restaurants and grocery stores with bogus vests they purchased online, or they rent apartments in "no pets allowed" complexes using bogus paperwork/documentation obtained online, or they pay off a "psychologist" to sign something bogus. Or getting on airplanes with supposed "emotional support" animals that poop and pee and bite other passengers.

Funny how I flew on airlines for 30+ years and never saw any animals in the cabin until the last 5 years. All of a sudden people are so needy they need to bring their "support" pet everywhere they go, including flying on a plane? Peacocks, ferrets, kittens, puppies, pigs, you name it. It's a scam.

No one is objecting to actual service dogs for the disabled or blind. There are very few of those around and those animals are well-trained.

I have no idea if that runt dog I saw in a "sling" in a grocery store was bogus or not, but given the proliferation of scams, chances are good that it was bogus. IMO

I do know that this entire issue of "emotional support" pets has exploded in recent years, and as I said earlier in this thread, IMO, it has to do with seeing what people can get away with, not actual "emotional needs."

I have a couple friends in this field, one is a psychologist and one is a psychiatrist. They both agree that this whole "emotional support" pet thing is totally out of hand and very, very few people actually "need" an "emotional support" pet that goes everywhere with them. This is not "service" dogs. Totally different topic.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
my rental lease says no pets.

My understanding is i can require an applicant to provide legitimate documentation which supports their claim the pet is either a service animal or an emotional support pet. I would need something like this:
How do I write a letter requesting a reasonable accommodation for a service animal? | Service Dog Central

then i'll have a re attorney look at the applicant's documentation to verify it's legitimate.

Although as of today no one has actually provided such paperwork.

Why not?

My guess is such applicants were lying and decided to move on to the next rental listing. Which suits me just fine.
bingo!

Old 08-14-2019, 06:30 AM

50,975 posts, read 24,467,741 times
Fill in the blank: If you can't spend an hour at the grocery store without your chihuahua, then I'd say ___________________.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:16 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,977,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Fill in the blank: If you can't spend an hour at the grocery store without your chihuahua, then I'd say ___________________.
Worry about yourself

Old 08-14-2019, 08:01 AM

50,975 posts, read 24,467,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Worry about yourself
When I have personally seen dogs pee and crap in a grocery store...I am worrying about myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area