Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 06:48 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,671,628 times

Advertisements

Portland on the Park is probably where I’d buy if looking for a condo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 07:01 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,165,928 times
Okay...all the "DT Phoenix" people have spoken...it still isn't there. Check out Old Town Scottsdale...all the nightlife you could want. Want to catch a game? Phoenix Rising FBC is in Scottsdale, Diamondbacks and Suns are Downtown, Cardinals and Coyotes are in Glendale. They are all not that far away and you won't be surrounded by all the artsy/granola hipsters. Grocery stores are plentiful, there are gyms all over the place, shopping, bars, etc. with an easy commute to Tempe.

Unless, of course you are into the hipster scene...then by all means hang out in DT Phoenix.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Okay...all the "DT Phoenix" people have spoken...it still isn't there. Check out Old Town Scottsdale...all the nightlife you could want. Want to catch a game? Phoenix Rising FBC is in Scottsdale, Diamondbacks and Suns are Downtown, Cardinals and Coyotes are in Glendale. They are all not that far away and you won't be surrounded by all the artsy/granola hipsters. Grocery stores are plentiful, there are gyms all over the place, shopping, bars, etc. with an easy commute to Tempe.

Unless, of course you are into the hipster scene...then by all means hang out in DT Phoenix.
I had to check the date of this post because this sounds like something someone may say with a bit of validity 5+ years ago. Since then downtown Phoenix has been growing by leaps and bounds and Old Town Scottsdale is stagnant. Old Town is a fart on the map compared to downtown Phoenix and while it has a few good restaurants, it’s mostly tired tourist trap stores and art galleries for the tourist crowd. Downtown Phoenix has the best breweries, cocktail lounges, restaurants, an MLB and NBA team, the main concert venue, museums, etc. Someone that thinks it’s only for hipsters is either out of touch or stuck in the past.

-a Scottsdale homeowner

Old 08-29-2019, 08:57 PM

1,695 posts, read 1,285,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I had to check the date of this post because this sounds like something someone may say with a bit of validity 5+ years ago. Since then downtown Phoenix has been growing by leaps and bounds and Old Town Scottsdale is stagnant. Old Town is a fart on the map compared to downtown Phoenix and while it has a few good restaurants, it’s mostly tired tourist trap stores and art galleries for the tourist crowd. Downtown Phoenix has the best breweries, cocktail lounges, restaurants, an MLB and NBA team, the main concert venue, museums, etc. Someone that thinks it’s only for hipsters is either out of touch or stuck in the past.

-a Scottsdale homeowner
Well, this may be a first, but I'm gonna have to agree with Detroit. If I was 30, single, and a professional - I'd be downtown. Old Town gets boring after a while. I feel like downtown is always changing and is now a really cool place.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:

-a Scottsdale homeowner
Not really...I was down there for a few functions over the past month and some "business dinners' etc when my Director was in town. We were mostly in the Roosevelt Row area and I will stick with my description. Try-hard restaurants, questionable atmosphere, not sure which best breweries you are referring to...

I know you love DT and will protect/recommend it like a pitbull owner defends their breed but when people are soooo excited that they are finally getting a grocery store...you know...so they can buy food finally...and will be probably the most crowded Fry's in the valley when it opens...it speaks to the lack of amenities that the OP was looking for.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:24 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,981,716 times
Once you start shopping at Sprouts Farmers Market grocery chain, you will forget about Whole Paycheck...and you can still visit Trader Joe's every few months..I like the frozen artichoke hearts..but in general, Sprouts is far superior on fresh stuff.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Not really...I was down there for a few functions over the past month and some "business dinners' etc when my Director was in town. We were mostly in the Roosevelt Row area and I will stick with my description. Try-hard restaurants, questionable atmosphere, not sure which best breweries you are referring to...

I know you love DT and will protect/recommend it like a pitbull owner defends their breed but when people are soooo excited that they are finally getting a grocery store...you know...so they can buy food finally...and will be probably the most crowded Fry's in the valley when it opens...it speaks to the lack of amenities that the OP was looking for.
What grocery store is in Old Town Scottsdale?

You should have gone to Durant's (midtown?). That's as un-hipster as you can get. You just picked the wrong couple blocks for a business dinner. That would be like going to Williamsburg, Brooklyn and complaining about hipsters. Well, duh. Other solid options in downtown would have been Larder+Delta (fantastic) or Blue Hound.

AZ Wilderness is the best brewery in the state. Mother Bunch does some cool stuff. Old Town has Goldwater, which is great, but after that there isn't much until you hit Tempe or Phoenix.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:03 AM

656 posts, read 815,573 times
First thing is to re-imagine what a city is, for Southwestern cities are different than the Northeast.

There is no area close to everything. Cities built in deserts grow horizontally, not vertically. Phoenix is more populated than Philly, but it doesn't feel like it.

To survive in the West you must accept that cities are separated by hundreds of miles; a car is crucial. Also, the interesting parts of Arizona are far from Phoenix.

Lastly, it is arid. Your nose may bleed until you adapt.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:08 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,738,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by More Rock View Post
First thing is to re-imagine what a city is, for Southwestern cities are different than the Northeast.

There is no area close to everything. Cities built in deserts grow horizontally, not vertically. Phoenix is more populated than Philly, but it doesn't feel like it.

To survive in the West you must accept that cities are separated by hundreds of miles; a car is crucial. Also, the interesting parts of Arizona are far from Phoenix.

Lastly, it is arid. Your nose may bleed until you adapt.
This is solid advice, and I would add that your definition (or understanding) of "culture" may need a slight adjustment as well. Phoenix culture is vastly different from the places you previously lived in. Not good, not bad, just different. As for where you should live, definitely try to live closer to your job as we don't have as many public transportation options to get you around. That being said, I recommend you look at Tempe.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
What grocery store is in Old Town Scottsdale?

You should have gone to Durant's (midtown?). That's as un-hipster as you can get. You just picked the wrong couple blocks for a business dinner. That would be like going to Williamsburg, Brooklyn and complaining about hipsters. Well, duh. Other solid options in downtown would have been Larder+Delta (fantastic) or Blue Hound.

AZ Wilderness is the best brewery in the state. Mother Bunch does some cool stuff. Old Town has Goldwater, which is great, but after that there isn't much until you hit Tempe or Phoenix.
The same Albertsons on Thomas and Scottsdale that has been there for years. Fry's on Thomas and 64th, Basha's on Indian School and Hayden, Fry's on IS and Miller, a little further North there is an AJ's on Lincoln and Scottsdale, Sprouts on Camelback and Miller...

Yes, we have been to Durant's...but you all were talking about downtown. Durant's is on Thomas and Central. Arguably, it is a very good restaurant if you want that gangster with a tommy gun vibe.

OT Scottsdale? Olive & Ivy, Culinary Dropout, First Watch, Bandara's, Cien Agaves, Maestro's City Hall...if you want to go back up to Lincoln...Fogo de Chao...course it depends on what you are looking for.

I really am not going to rate a place on breweries...not my first choice in beverages anyway but OHSO is pretty darn good...not that I would go out of my way for a Brewery.

Yes, 2 major sporting arenas (both of which the teams are trying to get out of), Symphony Hall, Heard Museum, AZ Science Center, Convention Center, etc. are all downtown Phoenix. That is great for the few times you go. If the OP wants to go to a Cardinals game, they still have to go to Glendale. These are all "destinations" and I am a firm believer in "live where you are comfortable". You don't have to LIVE downtown to enjoy the amenities of downtown. Downtown. personally, stresses me out but coming from the NE, it may fit the OP fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area