Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 09:50 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,664,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
The same Albertsons on Thomas and Scottsdale that has been there for years. Fry's on Thomas and 64th, Basha's on Indian School and Hayden, Fry's on IS and Miller, a little further North there is an AJ's on Lincoln and Scottsdale, Sprouts on Camelback and Miller...

Yes, we have been to Durant's...but you all were talking about downtown. Durant's is on Thomas and Central. Arguably, it is a very good restaurant if you want that gangster with a tommy gun vibe.

OT Scottsdale? Olive & Ivy, Culinary Dropout, First Watch, Bandara's, Cien Agaves, Maestro's City Hall...if you want to go back up to Lincoln...Fogo de Chao...course it depends on what you are looking for.

I really am not going to rate a place on breweries...not my first choice in beverages anyway but OHSO is pretty darn good...not that I would go out of my way for a Brewery.

Yes, 2 major sporting arenas (both of which the teams are trying to get out of), Symphony Hall, Heard Museum, AZ Science Center, Convention Center, etc. are all downtown Phoenix. That is great for the few times you go. If the OP wants to go to a Cardinals game, they still have to go to Glendale. These are all "destinations" and I am a firm believer in "live where you are comfortable". You don't have to LIVE downtown to enjoy the amenities of downtown. Downtown. personally, stresses me out but coming from the NE, it may fit the OP fine.
If we're discussing grocery stores in the vicinity of Old Town, then you have to take into account the Safeway at 7th St. and McDowell and the Sprouts at 7th Ave. and Osborn. The difference being that downtown Phoenix will have a grocery store IN downtown Phoenix. There is also a Whole Foods much closer to downtown than there is one to Old Town Scottsdale (one of the OP's criteria).

OHSO is not in Old Town. It's Arcadia if anything.

Downtown PHX seeming too stressful for you is fine, but this is about the OP.

Old Town is largely a place for the 21-25 crowd from the west valley to spend a night out feeling swanky, or for Midwestern retirees to buy turquoise jewelry and souvenirs. Downtown Phoenix is more suited to actually living and working and has much more of a community feel, while being urban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 10:00 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,161,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
If we're discussing grocery stores in the vicinity of Old Town, then you have to take into account the Safeway at 7th St. and McDowell and the Sprouts at 7th Ave. and Osborn. The difference being that downtown Phoenix will have a grocery store IN downtown Phoenix. There is also a Whole Foods much closer to downtown than there is one to Old Town Scottsdale (one of the OP's criteria).

OHSO is not in Old Town. It's Arcadia if anything.

Downtown PHX seeming too stressful for you is fine, but this is about the OP.

Old Town is largely a place for the 21-25 crowd from the west valley to spend a night out feeling swanky, or for Midwestern retirees to buy turquoise jewelry and souvenirs. Downtown Phoenix is more suited to actually living and working and has much more of a community feel, while being urban.
You can keep saying it but it doesn't make it so. Plenty of 30-somethings living in the apartments and homes in OT Scottsdale. Obviously our personal impressions of either locales differ greatly.

At least we agree that it comes down to the OP's preference but everyone just saying "Oh...you need to go to Downtown Phoenix" doesn't give them any options.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:09 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,664,859 times
Quote:
You can keep saying it but it doesn't make it so. Plenty of 30-somethings living in the apartments and homes in OT Scottsdale. Obviously our personal impressions of either locales differ greatly.

At least we agree that it comes down to the OP's preference but everyone just saying "Oh...you need to go to Downtown Phoenix" doesn't give them any options.
Options are good but downtown Phoenix objectively hits his criteria more than others, hence why the majority have suggested it.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:38 AM

Well...again...that is the "DT IS AWESOME" ilk's perspective. I don't see where DT "hits his criteria more than others". We are not talking about suggesting DT Gilbert or Chandler here. The only plus is Pro Sports.

1. I prefer to live in an area of PHX close to bars, sporting events, nightlife, etc

Both DT and OT provide this. Pro sports more so in DT but OT/Scottsdale area has a lot of Spring Training games as well. Again...you don't have to LIVE by the stadium to attend sporting events.

2. How walkable is PHX in general?

Is DT walkable? Plenty of YouTube videos saying it is not...but that again is personal preference of the OP. You'll be walking further between locations and amid ongoing construction. Or taking the light rail. OT is going to be more condensed with available pedicabs, golf carts etc. for transportation as well as plenty of sidewalks. I would argue that walking around OT proper is MUCH more enjoyable than DT but again...personal preference.

3. How is the diversity in the areas I am targeting (demographics, socioeconomics)

Diversity is becoming less of an issue in either places. My brother's friend group in OT is made up of everyone. I think he is the token "white guy". Everyone else is mixed nationalities, African American, Asian Americans etc. Probably the same DT with ASU campus.

Socioeconomic is probably a wash. There are going to be a range from homeless to serious 1%ers. Using my brother's crowd as a for instance...all of them are 30 something professionals or business owners.

4. good gym

Again a wash...most of the newer apartment complexes have extensive gyms as well.

5. Whole Foods or similar grocery store

I think we have already done this but a specific Whole Foods...closer to DT. OT has a Sprouts more readily accessible.

Last edited by KurtAZ; 08-30-2019 at 10:49 AM..

Old 08-30-2019, 11:46 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,750,993 times
Quote:
OT Scottsdale? Olive & Ivy, Culinary Dropout, First Watch, Bandara's, Cien Agaves, Maestro's City Hall...if you want to go back up to Lincoln...Fogo de Chao...course it depends on what you are looking for.
Every one of them chains, although some are local chains.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:35 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,286,436 times
If Phoenix truly had an active, thriving, big city type of downtown area, there would be:

* Numerous highrises (taller than 40 stories) which would comprise of residences, businesses, and hotels
* An entertainment/shopping district similar to the concept of Westgate, only without the massive parking lots or suburban feel
* More eateries, clubs, and bars which stay open past midnight, or even 24/7 in some instances
* A good supply of corner stores & markets for the residents to walk to & do their shopping

To add to the above point: the discussion of where the nearest Whole Foods is, or a new Fry's opening in the heart of downtown isn't indicative of any major progress whatsoever. In my opinion, the anticipation of the new downtown Fry's is more like the kind of excitement you might find in a smallish city. Phoenix may be the nation's 5th largest city, but the quality of the downtown area as a whole has never reflected this fact.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Every one of them chains, although some are local chains.
Upscale chains, yes but why is that a bad thing? I would rather know what the quality of the food being served is going into a place rather than risk the hit and miss nature of some random "Pete's Bistro", being charged way more than the food is worth all for the ability to say "but it's not a chain". Sorry, the reason there are chains of restaurants is because they have a good product, are successful and saw the business opportunity to open multiple locations.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
If Phoenix truly had an active, thriving, big city type of downtown area, there would be:

* Numerous highrises (taller than 40 stories) which would comprise of residences, businesses, and hotels
* An entertainment/shopping district similar to the concept of Westgate, only without the massive parking lots or suburban feel
* More eateries, clubs, and bars which stay open past midnight, or even 24/7 in some instances
* A good supply of corner stores & markets for the residents to walk to & do their shopping

To add to the above point: the discussion of where the nearest Whole Foods is, or a new Fry's opening in the heart of downtown isn't indicative of any major progress whatsoever. In my opinion, the anticipation of the new downtown Fry's is more like the kind of excitement you might find in a smallish city. Phoenix may be the nation's 5th largest city, but the quality of the downtown area as a whole has never reflected this fact.
To be fair...DT Phoenix has gotten better than 5+ years ago. There is construction and they just announced another apartment/live/work space being developed, albeit only about 9 stories. The problem for DT proper (below I-10) is mostly due to the flight path from Sky Harbor. Can't build tall buildings if they are in the flight path. It really wouldn't stop them from building North of I-10...if there was money in it.

Old 08-31-2019, 10:21 AM

402 posts, read 371,356 times
Thanks everyone, a lot of advice all over the map (literally).

I will be checking out all of the suggested areas when I fly there in a few weeks.

Old 08-31-2019, 12:18 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,286,436 times
Quote:
To be fair...DT Phoenix has gotten better than 5+ years ago. There is construction and they just announced another apartment/live/work space being developed, albeit only about 9 stories. The problem for DT proper (below I-10) is mostly due to the flight path from Sky Harbor. Can't build tall buildings if they are in the flight path. It really wouldn't stop them from building North of I-10...if there was money in it.
Downtown has improved a lot in the last 5 to 10 years, but what I'm saying is it's still not on par with our population as a city or as a metro area. Other cities around our size and smaller have more active central cores and much taller skylines. One of the issues I've been saying all along is where a good share of the corporate offices are located: many of them are in suburban office parks, and that's one reason why our skyline & density are still lacking. Bring more jobs downtown and you'll see more demand for taller buildings, residences, shops, eateries, clubs, and the like. One new Fry's market and a 9 story building are not impressive in the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area