Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 06:29 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,997,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest2020 View Post
Thanks everyone, a lot of advice all over the map (literally).

This bunch can and will argue about anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 11:14 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,282,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
This bunch can and will argue about anything.
I disagree.

Old 09-04-2019, 03:19 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,447,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest2020 View Post
I am a mid 30s African American guy, single, no kids, who needs to live near a good gym and a Whole Foods or similar grocery store. I love sporting events and have owned season tickets to the local sports teams for years, and imagine would buy Suns or Cardinals tickets as well.

Any advice welcome.
One words of advice - Biltmore. First thing that came to mind when reading your post. Downtown is underwhelming, Old Town too touristy and fratty, N. Scottsdale too homogenous. Biltmore? Perfect fit.

Old 09-04-2019, 03:22 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,913,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
One words of advice - Biltmore. First thing that came to mind when reading your post. Downtown is underwhelming, Old Town too touristy and fratty, N. Scottsdale too homogenous. Biltmore? Perfect fit.
I like Biltmore but it is about a strong zero on the walkability scale.

Old 09-04-2019, 03:29 PM

1,228 posts, read 635,781 times
Default this tidbit of info might be helpful...

https://www.tripsavvy.com/arizona-di...moving-2677834

Old 09-04-2019, 07:51 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,447,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
If someone is moving to Phoenix expecting a walkable urban environment they should [have their head examined] do better research and look where Phoenix falls in the ratings of walkable cities

Old 09-05-2019, 04:05 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,979,754 times
Don't forget, most of Phoenix is flat as a pancake, so a basic bike will work wonders. I did two years at N 8th St., and IS, no car, no problems. Walkscore currently 66...groceries were a bit far, like 1 mile, but had 99 cents only very close, and Walgreens even closer.. I ate like a king. Saw one guy hit on his bike, by another loser that doesn't stop before the pedestrian crosswalk, and was not seriously injured. And lots of Prius owners think they don't need to stop. Pretty tame compared to Bangkok, though.

Old 09-05-2019, 04:42 AM

9,801 posts, read 11,196,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
For Biltmore, I plugged 4525 N 22nd St, Phoenix, AZ 85016 as an address (LaBrezza Condos) and came up as a walkability score of 66. Considered "somewhat walkable". For fun, I plugged my address in Surprise and it came back with a 53 or "Some errands can be accomplished on foot".

As Hal mentioned, with a bicycle, you can cover some ground fast. Even with "decent" score of 53, I have 3 fast food locations, a grocery store, a nice independent restaurant, Bashes (with a deli), and a strip mall inside of a 5 minute walk. On bike and in under 10 minutes, I can be at one of 4 grocery stores, a movie theater, bowling, and about 20 restaurants.

In the 55-65 walkabilty range, you need a car and get pretty much any necessities within a 3-10 minute drive. With my so-so 53 score, we bike to a coffee shops as well as a restaurant with ease. As others have mentioned, pick a spot close to work which is arguably more important to most. My workplace is in my home or on a cell phone in the car or on my boat. I'm not sure what that score would be called: maybe the freedom and quality of life score? But I'd take a walkability score of 10 so long as I have a high freedom score. In fact, my walkability score on a lake in northern MN where my butt is planted is precisely a pathetic walkability score of 10. Trade-offs.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:46 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,745,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post

I'd go with the opposite, Biltmore is nice but it's boring after a few trips. Downtown Phoenix may be small but there are a lot of interesting places to check out the likes of which will never be found at Biltmore. To name a few- Melindas Alley, Valley Bar, Hannys, Floor 13, Van Buren, Crescent Ballroom, Cobra, Bitter and Twisted, Sazerac, Stardust Pinbar, Lost Leaf, Centrico, Paz Cantina, Dressing Room, State 48 brewery, AZ Wilderness, Mother Bunch brewing, Angels Trumpet, Filmbar, everything that is Roosevelt Row...

Biltmore is pretty boring by comparison.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:34 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,664,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I'd go with the opposite, Biltmore is nice but it's boring after a few trips. Downtown Phoenix may be small but there are a lot of interesting places to check out the likes of which will never be found at Biltmore. To name a few- Melindas Alley, Valley Bar, Hannys, Floor 13, Van Buren, Crescent Ballroom, Cobra, Bitter and Twisted, Sazerac, Stardust Pinbar, Lost Leaf, Centrico, Paz Cantina, Dressing Room, State 48 brewery, AZ Wilderness, Mother Bunch brewing, Angels Trumpet, Filmbar, everything that is Roosevelt Row...

Biltmore is pretty boring by comparison.
Great post, totally agree. I wish Paz was better. I’ve sworn off that place. I’ll offer up Taco Chelo in its place though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area