Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 06:47 AM

66 posts, read 57,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
... I'm seeing more companies do just setup Indian workers who are remote.

I am working in such an environment, where there is a large group in India and a large group in the US. Of course, my rates have been relatively flat (with some dips along the way) over the last 20 years (not normalized to inflation), but I have been wondering if the remote work arrangments for our team overseas has made it technically and culturally more easy to work remotely in general. I have seen an uptick (blip or trend?) in remote opportunities for the last year and a half, and this is where you are remote to hardware in a lab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 07:05 AM

13,284 posts, read 7,334,621 times
It's possible one problem I have is the language barrier when we get on conference calls the Eastern Indian has such a strong accent have very difficult time understanding them. I feel if I keep asking, "Pardon me can you repeat that" being disrespectful. I just don't ask questions I ask a co-worker if he caught what they said.

If 100% remote is the future will that bring down wages in the technical industry. That's the goal of Business to lower cost and increase profits.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
It's possible one problem I have is the language barrier when we get on conference calls the Eastern Indian has such a strong accent have very difficult time understanding them. I feel if I keep asking, "Pardon me can you repeat that" being disrespectful. I just don't ask questions I ask a co-worker if he caught what they said.

If 100% remote is the future will that bring down wages in the technical industry. That's the goal of Business to lower cost and increase profits.

It is true that there are accents. I have worked with Chinese, Indian, and even Australian accents for a while, so it is easier, but sometimes in my mind I am running a few threads on what they might be saying until some subsequent words indicate which thread we were on. I am usually the person who will ask if I don't understand something, partly because I am building up a mental image as someone is speaking, and if I miss a key part, then my model is blown. I am totally with you on being respectful. I normally don't have to ask for clarifications in such teams (although am sometimes puting in more processing power to decode), but I feel I am respecting someone when I am trying to absorb their words - I think if the accents are too much for the team in general, then it is worth sending out alerts that there are lost packets, and maybe a 10% data rate reduction would help, etc.

In my opinion, from my vantage point, the wage suppression has largley played out already. However, if cost can be lowered by paying for smaller buildings and parking lots and such, maybe remote work gets a boost from that angle.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:46 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,978,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEngineer View Post
This is one reason I have been reluctant for a while to move from the Chicago market - I know so many people, several of which have become managers, that when I need a next contract, I often just send out 10 emails to friends asking if their place needs help. I hope to build a decent network after I relocate, starting with people at the Scottsdale office for which I am now working remotely.
One good thing is those networks don't fade overnight. You can try the Scottsdale thing and if it doesn't work collapse back into Chicago.

One thing about tech networks though. If you get stable, and work in one job forever (or more than five years in the tech world) those networks overtime do start to shrink. You might have to put in a bit more effort to keep them alive after that point (get creative).

Old 09-30-2019, 08:07 AM

It seems like 10% of co-workers take interest in maintaining a professional network. I am usually refreshing contacts - a holiday email, or a comment on a LinkedIn work anniversary, etc. After the dot-com bust, I got so "enthusiastic" about finding work that I wanted to keep finding it and then refer my friends (not for theoretical referal bonus BTW), so I will get calls from friends when they are in need because they know I am usually on top of the market. I appreciate that they call even if just for that case.

I think the idea is:

Looking for a headquarters()
{
Rent for a year in Phoenix
If Phoenix is horrible, then
try another city (say Dallas)
Else
Buy a low maint house/headquarters in Phoenix
Endif
}

Operating from the headquarters()
{
If work is available in headquarters city (remote or on-site) at a good enough rate, then
do that work
Else
travel with spouse to other city for the better contract
touch base with headquarters and monitor for retrun opportunity
Endif
}

Old 09-30-2019, 05:34 PM

1,336 posts, read 929,543 times
LOL, is that how engineers really approach a problem?
If so, I better tear up my EE degree.

Just kidding, you don't want to see how I analyze a choice.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
LOL, is that how engineers really approach a problem?
If so, I better tear up my EE degree.

Just kidding, you don't want to see how I analyze a choice.

The dart-board is a valid choice as well - it can escape you from a local minima.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:45 PM

1,336 posts, read 929,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEngineer View Post
The dart-board is a valid choice as well - it can escape you from a local minima.
Indeed.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:14 AM

189 posts, read 231,144 times
The Phoenix metro area stays hot.

https://azbigmedia.com/business/jobs...rate-than-u-s/

Old 10-06-2019, 07:04 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,740,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSunDevil83 View Post

Sure does, as one of the cheapest, desirable large areas in the west it's probably destined to stay this way for some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area