Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 05:48 PM

1,336 posts, read 928,812 times

Advertisements

https://mobi.greatandhra.com/article...hies/99429/amp

Well, I doubt it. Infosys (as they do from India) will probably be selling services for tech support, and low level software development support. Nothing that pays well, and most likely they are trying to attract more Indian employees in the area (who typically accept lower wages), or trying to bring in more H1B visa workers from India. Not sure this will attract or create high paying jobs.

Ducey should create a program to market Phoenix as the next best place for Silicon Valley tech firms to establish satellite development and R&D offices, with good connections to AU, ASU, NAU, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 06:28 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,745,978 times
Infosys, and companies like them such as Tata, are responsible for the displacement of huge numbers of US workers. They convince companies to outsource their IT operations to them. Those companies lay off their employees and then Infosys et al proceeds to staff those operations with offshore workers and people that they bring in on H1B visas. If they do end up hiring workers locally they will likely be the same people who were laid off to create the jobs, at a much lower rate. It's all a racket that allows US companies to save money at the expense of what used to be their employees.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:28 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,922,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Infosys, and companies like them such as Tata, are responsible for the displacement of huge numbers of US workers. They convince companies to outsource their IT operations to them. Those companies lay off their employees and then Infosys et al proceeds to staff those operations with offshore workers and people that they bring in on H1B visas. If they do end up hiring workers locally they will likely be the same people who were laid off to create the jobs, at a much lower rate. It's all a racket that allows US companies to save money at the expense of what used to be their employees.
THIS, exactly, is what happened to my wife, who had a great job at a large corporation; they brought in a new whiz kid, who immediately did that to hundreds of folks in the IT mgmt area; my wife got a nice severance package, and when the Indian company that replaced her, tried to recruit her, at HALF of what she had previously made, she told them to pound salt, and ended up getting an even better job elsewhere..needless to say, the idiots that came in to replace the "real" workers screwed the entire IT department up, and, sadly, anyone left from the original folks ended up quitting...the "new" company got a 5 year contract, so they are stuck with the incompetent Indian/Pakistanis who replaced the long time, experienced/trained workers, and I guess they got what they deserved..

In a ironic twist of fate, the "whiz kid" and everyone he brought in got fired recently, and the corporate IT dept is a disgrace and in shambles...Point being, you get what you pay for, and thinking that cheap replacements from a foreign country will be good thing for large corporations rarely, if ever, works out the way they hoped for..

Old 09-16-2019, 12:28 AM

8,044 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Ducey should create a program to market Phoenix as the next best place for Silicon Valley tech firms to establish satellite development and R&D offices, with good connections to AU, ASU, NAU, etc.
Tech jobs have already arrived, and this isn't exactly a new phenomenon in the Phoenix area. Years ago, it was speculated that the Phoenix area would become the Silicon Desert ... and this was back in the semiconductor days. Motorola, Honeywell, and Intel were three very prominent employers for many years here. Motorola even played a part in the first moon landing in 1969.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Tech jobs have already arrived, and this isn't exactly a new phenomenon in the Phoenix area. Years ago, it was speculated that the Phoenix area would become the Silicon Desert ... and this was back in the semiconductor days. Motorola, Honeywell, and Intel were three very prominent employers for many years here. Motorola even played a part in the first moon landing in 1969.
True, but I don't call those high tech jobs, these days anyway. Intel fabs are low paying fab jobs, skills learned there not easily marketable these days, since chips are mainly made in overseas fabs. From what I see Honeywell and MOT yeah might be here, but these are not new business model tech companies, they are old school dinosaurs in danger of dying off, especially MOT.

I would think Ducey needs to attract the new generation of tech that is centered around software, software based services, AI, machine learning, vision, etc... those are the explosive growth companies of the future. At least 1 out of 100 of them LOL.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Right. And what sucks is Infosys and others like them work the H1B system so hard, and flood our streets with, shall we say, less than competent Indian workers. And these H1B Indian workers crowd out other more talented and capable BS, MS, and PhDs from Asia and Europe. I suffered from this having tried to get H1Bs for engineers from other areas, but the limited number of H1Bs ran out. Not completely thanks to the likes of Infosys, but certainly their applications did crowd out other more valid submissions, in my experience.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:24 AM

2,282 posts, read 3,082,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
True, but I don't call those high tech jobs, these days anyway. Intel fabs are low paying fab jobs, skills learned there not easily marketable these days, since chips are mainly made in overseas fabs. From what I see Honeywell and MOT yeah might be here, but these are not new business model tech companies, they are old school dinosaurs in danger of dying off, especially MOT.

I would think Ducey needs to attract the new generation of tech that is centered around software, software based services, AI, machine learning, vision, etc... those are the explosive growth companies of the future. At least 1 out of 100 of them LOL.
Not so. Intel actually does chip design along with the fabrication, and many of the workers that are employed there start at $75k-80k+ annually for new grads from top engineering schools (I have at least 3 friends from U of Illinois who are computer science or electrical engineering grads who ended up here working for Intel in Chandler). ON Semiconductor pays pretty well also and is based here. Motorola is gone but Honeywell remains and many of those are good aerospace engineering and manufacturing jobs that pay very well.

As for the initial post, GPEC (Greater Phoenix Economic Council) and the State are doing exactly what you're calling for. I saw a stat posted up by GPEC and CBRE that said that tech jobs in just downtown Phoenix alone have increased something like 350-400% in the past 5 years. That's pretty amazing. One of GPEC's core initiatives right now is to basically convince California tech companies to relocate operations here, and it's been working. Here a great report they put together for tech attraction: https://www.gpec.org/wp-content/uplo...y-CBREGPEC.pdf

Old 09-16-2019, 12:16 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,664,957 times
Quote:

If the cheaper employees do the job, I call that a smart move. I try to save money whenever I can... why shouldn't businesses?

If they can't/don't do the job, which is the common refrain you hear... either the company will change again, or they'll go out of business.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:37 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,151,444 times
Northrup Grumman is opening a new office on Price in Chandler adding on to their existing square footage further south...Orbital, Iridium, Intel (Largest Clean Room in the Country is in Chandler) On-Trac and PayPal...to name a few.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:06 PM

6,762 posts, read 5,063,975 times
There's quite a lot of high tech here, as already mentioned. I've been in the semiconductor business my whole career, and mostly in the Phoenix area since 2004. Yes, from a business point of view, semis have matured, but today there is still quite a lot of design work being done and I expect that will continue for a long time.

There are lots of software jobs here too... just don't go looing for a big Google campus. I really doubt Phoenix will ever be a center of cutting edge technology like you are wanting (in the OP). As a metro area, Phoenix seems to be doing pretty fine, IMO.

Oh, and companies are doing their best to move jobs overseas... not just manufacturing and IT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area