Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 01:41 AM

100 posts, read 408,224 times

Advertisements

Cause I really do not think most people here are intelligent. Of course if you go to particular settings you could be around people who are smart and successfull, but I am talking about the overall environment. The intellectualness of the people in the Phoenix area is seriously lacking compared to other places I have resided in. I am an educated college graduate and I wonder why people here seem so rude, prejudice, and uneducated?

The majority of the people I encountered here are.....I DONT KNOW. I don't know about you, but it is not fun to have that feeling that you are so much smarter then the person you are interacting with. Apparently I will just have to adjust...

Old 04-20-2008, 01:58 AM

271 posts, read 839,556 times
I haven't looked into your previous posts, but I assume you must have had someone respond rudely to you, and/or had some interactions with rude people. I do agree - I find it bizarre that some of the most sarcastic or negative people who post regarding Phoenixa don't actually live here. Go figure.

However, if you're going to make a generalization regarding the majority of people here not being as smart as you and how you are more intelligent, please, at least don't make so many grammatical errors in your post as you are trying to insult the people on this forum.

For example, if you're going to say "it is not fun to have that feeling that you are so much smarter" than the people in Phoenix, you lose credibility in your one paragraph with:

"intellectualness" - unless you have some old English background, the term is intelligibility. Prejudice is a noun, you must mean prejudiced. If you're so much more educated than the majority of people, how do you not know the difference between then and than when you point out how you are 'so much smarter THEN everyone else'...um, okay. Starting with "cause"? Seriously, you must know that that the word is because.

I guess I'm taking offense a bit, so if I'm grumpy, I apologize if you are being sincere in being disappointed with the people you've met. Where have you gone to meet people? Maybe some of the locals can give you suggestions on where you might people with similar interests? We've had a very positive experience, though, and have personally met very nice and intelligent people since I've moved from Boston to Phoenix though CityData, and found the information on this board invaluable, well-researched, and helpful.

Last edited by Rubee; 04-20-2008 at 03:01 AM..

Old 04-20-2008, 02:00 AM

267 posts, read 885,650 times
Maybe it's just your perception. I grew up around the UCLA area of Los Angeles and am now living in Phoenix and I don't feel like people here are any more or less intelligent than anywhere else. And I live in what some may consider a "less desirable" area of Phoenix (Baseline Corridor).

Old 04-20-2008, 02:47 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,262,225 times
This thread is hilarious. Sorry, I couldn't help but to laugh after reading Xenourtv's post. Good luck, buddy.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:38 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,946,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubee View Post

However, if you're going to make a generalization regarding the majority of people here not being as smart as you and how you are more intelligent, please, at least don't make so many grammatical errors in your post as you are trying to insult the people on this forum.

For example, if you're going to say "it is not fun to have that feeling that you are so much smarter" than the people in Phoenix, you lose credibility in your one paragraph with:

"intellectualness" - unless you have some old English background, the term is intelligibility. Prejudice is a noun, you must mean prejudiced. If you're so much more educated than the majority of people, how do you not know the difference between then and than when you point out how you are 'so much smarter THEN everyone else'...um, okay. Starting with "cause"? Seriously, you must know that that the word is because.
Haha, nice...****ing schooled!

Old 04-20-2008, 03:42 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,172,705 times
Kind of sounds like G W Bush grammer.
He thinks he is smart also.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:15 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,791,152 times
This would be so easy to pick apart but I'll stick to a just couple observations. I find it amusing that so many people confuse "educated" with "intelligent". They are not interchangeable nor does being one automatically make you the other. Sadly, it's usually persons who are the former that mistakenly believe that they are also the latter. Thanks to the internet, there are many who claim to be both yet in reality are neither.

Personally, I DO enjoy interacting with "persons" who are not as "smart" as I am. The daughter of my wife's best friend was a Special Olympian. She was an absolute joy to be around and I actually learned a few things from her. On the other hand, after reading this thread I can relate to the OP's statement that, "it is not fun to have that feeling that you are so much smarter (than) the person you are interacting with. Apparently I will just have to adjust..."

Apparently I will too.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:51 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,453,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenourtv View Post
Cause I really do not think most people here are intelligent. Of course if you go to particular settings you could be around people who are smart and successfull, but I am talking about the overall environment. The intellectualness of the people in the Phoenix area is seriously lacking compared to other places I have resided in. I am an educated college graduate and I wonder why people here seem so rude, prejudice, and uneducated?

The majority of the people I encountered here are.....I DONT KNOW. I don't know about you, but it is not fun to have that feeling that you are so much smarter then the person you are interacting with. Apparently I will just have to adjust...
I do understand the feeling, but you are just maybe surrounding yourself with the wrong people in the wrong environments?

I moved down here after working in the financial district of San Francisco. I had a great job and worked alongside people with PhDs and MBAs. It was a wonderful experience, but then look where I was working.

I've considered making a career change and have now had to rethink things. It is just maddening to work with what I consider to be sloppiness. If one is going to send an email and sign off, at least do so in the proper upper/lower case format. The bar is low, but that is because of the area I am considering going into, in part. I could still work with some of the smart people from SF if I went back to my old employer, so there are "some" people here that would fall into the category of intellectualism.

I too am disappointed with what I've found here. There is still hope, however. I just have to push myself and join some local political groups. At least I'd be amongst like-minded people (who are smart liberals, BTW. Liberals do tend to be smarter and this town isn't known for its liberal bent).

Maybe you just don't like it here, and neither do I. It's pretty bad when your boss is a first grade school teacher and you have to correct her spelling and punctuation, but this probably explains the poor school system here.

Hang in there!

Old 04-20-2008, 07:55 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,453,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
Kind of sounds like G W Bush grammer.
He thinks he is smart also.
Well, he's an idiot and it is spelled grammar, if we are picking things apart here.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:10 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,783,384 times
I guess I must be one of the "less smart" people because I think so many of the people I know are smarter than me.

My grandkids are very intelligent and I used to tell them they got the smart genes from me, and the good looking genes from their grand mother.

Now I've got to tell them it must be the other way around!!!

Geez, it's terrible to be dumb. I don't know how I've made it this far.

I just wish I could know how it feels to be smarter than every one else. Up to now I've been content with life knowing that I'm not the smartest kid on the block. But now I'm thinking I must be missing out on life by not being one of the smart ones.

But the more I think about it, if I were that smart and had to be around so many people who wouldn't be at my high intellectual level, then I'd be miserable like the OP. So I guess I'll remain happy, knowing that I'm dumber than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area