Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 10:58 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
Still haven't been across the City hey.
Across what city? Buckeye? For what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2020, 06:16 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Still haven't been across the City hey.
What he could have said is towns that are farther out have less traffic, enjoy a higher sense of community, often have lower crime rates, less traffic, cleaner air, and sometimes smaller class sizes. Additionally, because of the lower property taxes and much lower cost of housing, you can get a resort-like-feel that is subjectively a much better look and feel as compared to 98% of the entire housing stock in the entire Phoenix metro. As in, that look and feel would cost $500K more (with more traffic, less clean air etc). And that's DMB's DC Ranch (the cheap seats section) which is also considered "too far out" for some. The master-planned amenities like Verrado nearly are always are in new areas as it is a newer concept. It's how they get people to move by way of an AMAZING look and feel at a reasonable price.

The cons are that you have to be prepared to lose out on close proximity to areas that are important to other people including himself which is a legitimate point. Though if you want to be condescending, attach words like "far-flung", "BFE", or "in the middle of nowhere". Analogy: a kinder person could describe someone "bigger build" while a jerk would call them fat. Or someone could mention that a person is interested in the same sex while another could be appalling and call them a f_g. You get it and I suspect that's what gets under your skin. Trolls have that ability.

The Op was looking for Verrado trade-offs. As in, does something stand out about the Verrado community versus another? MrsMac did a beautiful job of explaining the culture. Snow gave his subjective opinion as it's worth the look. Yet another poster who has never been to the developments had to remind a mother of three children that Buckeye to downtown Phoenix isn't close. Of course, the Op was able to figure that out all by herself.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 01-13-2020 at 07:04 AM..

Old 01-13-2020, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritmama3 View Post
thank you all!!!!

I probably spelled wearing wrong to mean "waring" or however. We grew up in sunshine able to be outside most all year. Texas is not like that, and while ive adjusted the last 10 years, the last few have been more depressing. I don't know if its because I am getting older, but the gray, cold weather gets me down! Also we live in a very small town, VERY small, like 1500 people. we drive atleast 30 minutes to anything, shopping, grocery store, food places. which in a way is nice, because we can go to the city, and retreat back to the country. neither of us were raised in a small town, so the politics and small minded-ness get old. The real world is not a white small town texas….it is a melting pot of diversity.

I have heard great things about the high school. I just don't know how my kids would adjust to a large school environment, my youngest would be better suited for a larger school. the other two are so close to being done, that we may have to wait a couple years. im sure there are new kids all the time, in a larger city/district. lots of kids to choose from, and make friends. Small towns are very cliquey, too worried if your kid is good or better than their kids at sports, therefor sometimes not as welcoming, lol

my daughter wants to go to cosmetology school, my son is undecided, as is my younger daughter. the older two are not really wanting a 4 year or more college stint. which I am ok with, they just better pick a trade then.

Verrado sounds beautiful, ill be excited to visit it in march.

I do appreciate all the responses!!
A couple of points. I suspect that Verrado high school will be very homogeneous (near 100% white) as I don't see a lot of diversity when I visit the area.

Also, the HS on Indian School feels like a smaller town (lots of open land around it). Yes, each graduating class is around 400 students. When I was growing up, each class was over 900 kids which is too big. But I predict your kids will quickly adapt. New students are constantly coming in as the area is growing fast so they will certainly meet new people interested in interacting with a new friend circle. I'd be looking at it as an opportunity to expose your children to something new. Assuming they aren't hard-core introverts, I bet they will rally!

Since you are coming from a small town in TX, another trade-off is the small lot. Many of the Verrado lot sizes are in the 7000 square foot range. That can take some time to get use to. We have 10,000 square feet lot in Marley Park: a flat Verrado-like DMB development without a man-made town. I still don't appreciate the small lot size. Possibly because MN for 6 months, I live on a 9-acre wooded lake lot. Like you and your hubby, my wife and I work on our small business out of our home. Hearing someone's conversation while they are walking their dog on the sidewalk is something I never get used to. Plus the landscaping blowers that start up at 7:15 (and it seems everyone has a different day than they start). Add in the jets, peoples loud cars that occasionally drive by, and it's something that I think about while others don't bat an eye. So keep that in mind if you are a person who likes peace and quiet. It's why I also mentioned about foam sprayed ceiling and walls and how it helps drop the noise level. I intentionally bought a 2x6" construction hoping for a lower noise floor but it didn't help. I'll admit my wife and I are more sensitive to this specific topic. Possibly because of my vocation (my expertise is in acoustics) and because we have always owned bigger lots in smaller towns. Hopefully you are not cursed with my personal tick.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 01-13-2020 at 06:57 AM..

Old 01-13-2020, 06:39 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,410,310 times
Default Its on the wrong side of town

How about that problem? Verrado is on the wrong side of town! Everything else is just fine if you can deal with that problem. I am quite sure most people will agree with that. I mean it's no secret that the East side is the better side of the Phoenix area. Also anyone who knows real estate can tell you about the 3 rules of real estate. It is quite elementary.
I remember one day I got off the I-10 on Verrado Way and I saw 2 dead bodies that had been dumped off at the Verrado Way exit. It made me sick and I don't think I ever took that exit again. LOOK>>https://www.eastvalleytribune.com/ne...843308d08.html

You might be looking there because your work is on the West side. If so then commute from the east side or get a job on the East side.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:11 AM

586 posts, read 540,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
How about that problem? Verrado is on the wrong side of town! Everything else is just fine if you can deal with that problem. I am quite sure most people will agree with that. I mean it's no secret that the East side is the better side of the Phoenix area. Also anyone who knows real estate can tell you about the 3 rules of real estate. It is quite elementary.
I remember one day I got off the I-10 on Verrado Way and I saw 2 dead bodies that had been dumped off at the Verrado Way exit. It made me sick and I don't think I ever took that exit again. LOOK>>https://www.eastvalleytribune.com/ne...843308d08.html

You might be looking there because your work is on the West side. If so then commute from the east side or get a job on the East side.
Yes that could only ever happen on the West Side???? SMH

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...od/2606911001/

Old 01-13-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
In my opinion, Verrado is the nicest and most unique community in the Valley. You truly feel like you live in a small town, and don't feel like you're part of the hustle and bustle of Phoenix. If commute isn't an issue, I couldn't recommend a better area (especially considering you like your small town in Texas).
We tagged along with some friends who are looking to buy at the Toll Brothers development called Sterling Grove on VIP day https://www.tollbrothers.com/luxury-...ton-Collection . It's to the next level as compared to Verrado. But easy add $125K to the Verrado pricing. I was impressed. It will be interesting to see how well they sell. If I had to replicate our home with all of the premiums we have including the lot, I'd have to add at least $200K. It won't be hard to spend $650K-$700K (with options) even with a 2800 square foot home. Add $70K-$200K on the golf course. Check it out. They have a ton of models. A 55+ area too.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:14 AM

586 posts, read 540,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
What he could have said is towns that are farther out have less traffic, enjoy a higher sense of community, often have lower crime rates, less traffic, cleaner air, and sometimes smaller class sizes. Additionally, because of the lower property taxes and much lower cost of housing, you can get a resort-like-feel that is subjectively a much better look and feel as compared to 98% of the entire housing stock in the entire Phoenix metro. As in, that look and feel would cost $500K more (with more traffic, less clean air etc). And that's DMB's DC Ranch (the cheap seats section) which is also considered "too far out" for some. The master-planned amenities like Verrado nearly are always are in new areas as it is a newer concept. It's how they get people to move by way of an AMAZING look and feel at a reasonable price.

The cons are that you have to be prepared to lose out on close proximity to areas that are important to other people including himself which is a legitimate point. Though if you want to be condescending, attach words like "far-flung", "BFE", or "in the middle of nowhere". Analogy: a kinder person could describe someone "bigger build" while a jerk would call them fat. Or someone could mention that a person is interested in the same sex while another could be appalling and call them a f_g. You get it and I suspect that's what gets under your skin. Trolls have that ability.

The Op was looking for Verrado trade-offs. As in, does something stand out about the Verrado community versus another? MrsMac did a beautiful job of explaining the culture. Snow gave his subjective opinion as it's worth the look. Yet another poster who has never been to the developments had to remind a mother of three children that Buckeye to downtown Phoenix isn't close. Of course, the Op was able to figure that out all by herself.
I agree. Some people would be utterly amazed that there are people living in AZ thst don't care about high end restaurants or high end shopping and would rather live in an area with less traffic. I cringe every time I have to go to the East Side of City as the amount of traffic is way more hassle than I want. And yes I am aware that it means more people choose to be on the East side, that doesn't make the West Side undesirable.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
I thought the rule was to buy low, sell high. How did that work out for ya?

Of course, any person living in Tempe, Scottsdale, and central Phoenix would probably never consider living in Buckeye. Nor should they! They prefer what they prefer. And the weighted average of proximity to work of the airport or sporting events or ________ should be strongly considered. It's always about trade-offs.

The Op wants a smaller town feel. Their family hobby is boating. She has three children in HS that were use to small-town TX. She drove 30-40 minutes to get groceries and supplies. Are you saying folks like her should not consider Verrado?

Old 01-13-2020, 07:32 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
there are so many great areas all across the valley now, and more are being built every day...to say one side of the valley is "better" than the other now a days just shows how un informed some folks are, and, how many who live in one area are still stuck with a "superiority complex"..
the only person who should care about which side of the valley you live in is YOU..

Old 01-13-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
I agree. Some people would be utterly amazed that there are people living in AZ thst don't care about high end restaurants or high end shopping and would rather live in an area with less traffic. I cringe every time I have to go to the East Side of City as the amount of traffic is way more hassle than I want. And yes I am aware that it means more people choose to be on the East side, that doesn't make the West Side undesirable.
20% of the US population live in rural areas and embrace the trade-offs. It's all subjective and of course, $$'s play into the trade-off. People in LA think living in a hot desert is idiotic while people in PHX don't want any part of the congestion and the expense. People who love lush green may also agree. Trade-offs, trade-offs, trade-offs which might also be said are the three rules of real estate. Elementary!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area