Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 12:46 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,649,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
Clearly this thread went over your head. The point is that NO ONE will want to live here when our traffic is as bad as LA (coming soon), our smog is worse than LA (already there?), our hellish summers keep getting hotter from the increasing heat island, cost of living and taxes skyrocket to try to keep up with the crush of mass inward migration, and everything is so crowded you can’t enjoy going anywhere anyway.

All of that is right around the corner given current relocation numbers. And what’s especially galling is that it’s totally unnecessary. Picking up and moving to a new location isn’t going to magically make your life better. Every place has major problems and lots of positives. Change your mindset and your behavior not your location.

At least la still has the ocean. We are going to just be left with a giant brown bowl of pollution.
Oh yeah, like adopting a "positive mindset" would magically make winters back in NY 30 degrees warmer and sunny.... #sarcasm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 01:35 PM

717 posts, read 1,060,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Oh yeah, like adopting a "positive mindset" would magically make winters back in NY 30 degrees warmer and sunny.... #sarcasm
No, but you can focus on the other positives of the area. Beautiful greenery, incredible spring and fall weather, proximity to some of the greatest cities on earth, leaves changing color, the peacefulness of snowfall, quick access to mountains and ocean. The list goes on and on. Here’s a newsflash: when it’s 115 outside you’re not any better off. And guess what, you’re never getting a snow day. When the weather is awful you better Get in your car and get to work with the millions of other people in the city who are also grumpy and beyond miserable like you because it’s so unbearably hot 24/7 with no relief even at night. Instead of looking for magic fixes and giving into grass is greener syndrome, change your mindset.

Old 01-20-2020, 01:59 PM

656 posts, read 815,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
The clip of PHX in your first link is an amazing view, I didn't realize the metro was so mountainous (Also the Miami clip was stunning). I love it in Phoenix and am looking to move from a neighboring desert city to Arizona in the next year or so. Lots of great things about the area drawing people in.

Phoenix was built in the Salt River Valley, which is surrounded by distant mountains, plus some smaller ones within the valley.

Personally, if your town doesn't have hills or mountains, I am uninterested. Mountains can inspire awe, even with unbelievers like me.

Old 01-20-2020, 02:04 PM

994 posts, read 972,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Just wanted to post a positive post about the Phoenix Metro Area. I relocated here about 6yrs. ago from Charlotte, NC. Didn't know a soul, left family and friends back in Charlotte to try something different. It's been the best move for me professionally and personally. I've met some great people here, weather is phenomenal..yes even the heat **No Humidity**!, there is no lacking of things to do in this city, from hiking, biking, fabulous shopping, and great restaurants. If you are on the fence about relocating, DO IT!!! I will admit I had fears and reservations about picking up and moving across the country, however I would not change the personal growth for the world, as so many people stay stuck in their hometowns just because of their fear of the unknown in a new city. Yes the grass may not always be greener, but sometimes if you don't take the risk, there's no reward....This site helped me in so many ways before I relocated....Huge Thanks to all of the posters and their valuable information.
Going through the same feelings and prospects. What is your career? Did you have work already lined up ?

Old 01-20-2020, 05:19 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,649,465 times
Quote:
No, but you can focus on the other positives of the area. Beautiful greenery, incredible spring and fall weather, proximity to some of the greatest cities on earth, leaves changing color, the peacefulness of snowfall, quick access to mountains and ocean. The list goes on and on. Here’s a newsflash: when it’s 115 outside you’re not any better off. And guess what, you’re never getting a snow day. When the weather is awful you better Get in your car and get to work with the millions of other people in the city who are also grumpy and beyond miserable like you because it’s so unbearably hot 24/7 with no relief even at night. Instead of looking for magic fixes and giving into grass is greener syndrome, change your mindset.
Newsflash, I've lived here 19 years, which is now longer than I lived in my native NY, and I like it here obviously. I chose to move here

P.S. I hate snow, so not having a snow day is no big deal to me

Old 01-20-2020, 08:40 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,812,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
Going through the same feelings and prospects. What is your career? Did you have work already lined up ?

yes- did a job transfer.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:07 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,628,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
THIS....so many "Debbie Downers" posting lately; I'll just say that if you don't like it here, there are 49 other states to try...
This is so worth repeating!

Old 01-20-2020, 10:09 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,628,712 times
Quote:
Clearly this thread went over your head. The point is that NO ONE will want to live here when our traffic is as bad as LA (coming soon), our smog is worse than LA (already there?), our hellish summers keep getting hotter from the increasing heat island, cost of living and taxes skyrocket to try to keep up with the crush of mass inward migration, and everything is so crowded you can’t enjoy going anywhere anyway.

All of that is right around the corner given current relocation numbers. And what’s especially galling is that it’s totally unnecessary. Picking up and moving to a new location isn’t going to magically make your life better. Every place has major problems and lots of positives. Change your mindset and your behavior not your location.

At least la still has the ocean. We are going to just be left with a giant brown bowl of pollution.
It appears you are not taking your own advice.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:56 AM

872 posts, read 1,001,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
It appears you are not taking your own advice.
Was just gonna say this

Don't know what Phoenix did to him but the salt is deep

Old 01-21-2020, 08:16 AM

717 posts, read 1,060,316 times
My advice is to recognize that every place has good and bad, including Phoenix. So picking up and moving because the grass is greener is pointless, and encouraging others to do so is counter productive to maintaining quality of life in this metro. It is also potentially damaging to people who take that advice and then end up miserable here because the grass isn’t actually greener. Already this thread has gotten a response from at least one person who is contemplating moving without a job lined up, which illustrates my point perfectly. Read the posts before responding so we don’t have to rehash the same points over and over please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area