Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 11:36 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to post a positive post about the Phoenix Metro Area. I relocated here about 6yrs. ago from Charlotte, NC. Didn't know a soul, left family and friends back in Charlotte to try something different. It's been the best move for me professionally and personally. I've met some great people here, weather is phenomenal..yes even the heat **No Humidity**!, there is no lacking of things to do in this city, from hiking, biking, fabulous shopping, and great restaurants. If you are on the fence about relocating, DO IT!!! I will admit I had fears and reservations about picking up and moving across the country, however I would not change the personal growth for the world, as so many people stay stuck in their hometowns just because of their fear of the unknown in a new city. Yes the grass may not always be greener, but sometimes if you don't take the risk, there's no reward....This site helped me in so many ways before I relocated....Huge Thanks to all of the posters and their valuable information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 11:47 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
nice post, but, as a PSA, this needs to be here too...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ariz...not-think.html

Old 01-19-2020, 11:59 AM

163 posts, read 207,007 times
I feel the same way! Moved here from NY (not NYC) almost 6 years ago. Besides the weather which I love, this area has a ton to offer for people with a variety of interests.

Old 01-19-2020, 12:18 PM

717 posts, read 1,058,387 times
Honestly, it’s nice that it worked out for you, but encouraging even more people to pick up and move here on a whim is pretty much the last thing Phoenix needs. The current infrastructure is already being severely pressured by the hoards of daily transplants, and all the things people currently like about phx are pretty much guaranteed to disappear soon under the constant barrage of unnecessary relocations. Many people who move here will have a different experience than you and end up hating it, but they’ll be stuck and still contributing to traffic, high costs, and crowding. Get on any hill/high point in town and look at the thick brown smog hanging over everything. It’s only going to get worse.

Old 01-19-2020, 01:09 PM

90 posts, read 69,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
Honestly, it’s nice that it worked out for you, but encouraging even more people to pick up and move here on a whim is pretty much the last thing Phoenix needs. The current infrastructure is already being severely pressured by the hoards of daily transplants, and all the things people currently like about phx are pretty much guaranteed to disappear soon under the constant barrage of unnecessary relocations. Many people who move here will have a different experience than you and end up hating it, but they’ll be stuck and still contributing to traffic, high costs, and crowding. Get on any hill/high point in town and look at the thick brown smog hanging over everything. It’s only going to get worse.
I moved here a few years ago and this is very true.

Already buildings being built on up in North Scottsdale blocking the mountain views when driving. I was told we had a law that said nothing above 3 stories? Yet, money spoke and Scottsdale caved. You can't even drive down Mayo (56th to Scottsdale) and it is non-stop construction on both sides. When I came here, not much was happening.

Old 01-19-2020, 01:55 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoaz20172 View Post

Already buildings being built on up in North Scottsdale blocking the mountain views when driving. I was told we had a law that said nothing above 3 stories? Yet, money spoke and Scottsdale caved. You can't even drive down Mayo (56th to Scottsdale) and it is non-stop construction on both sides. When I came here, not much was happening.
HA! When I came here, Bell Road ended at Scottsdale Rd, there was nothing north of the canal except Rawhide and Chauncey's Ranch until you got to Carefree, there were no 101s/202s/51s/303s...Mayo didn't exist except in East Scottsdale (Mayo Clinic not Hospital).

Quit complaining, the more people move here, just like you and I and most people on this board did, the more things are going to change. Good or bad, it is what happens.

Phoenix just hit the Top 50 Cities in the World and Top 20 in the US. This little burg my family moved to back in the 80s has changed A LOT in 30+ years. It will keep changing and HOPEFULLY we'll add some corporate Headquarters to the roster.

Last edited by KurtAZ; 01-19-2020 at 02:05 PM..

Old 01-19-2020, 01:59 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Quit complaining, the more people move here, just like you and I and most people on this board did, the more things are going to change. Good or bad, it is what happens.
THIS....so many "Debbie Downers" posting lately; I'll just say that if you don't like it here, there are 49 other states to try...

Old 01-19-2020, 04:25 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Westcoastbabe, glad to hear things have worked out well for you. You came at a good time because this place is only going to keep growing along with the cost of living.

Old 01-19-2020, 05:00 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,273,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoaz20172 View Post

More people move here and more things get built. How is this surprising to you? You contributed to the issue you're now complaining about.

Old 01-19-2020, 08:00 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,482,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Phoenix just hit the Top 50 Cities in the World and Top 20 in the US. This little burg my family moved to back in the 80s has changed A LOT in 30+ years. It will keep changing and HOPEFULLY we'll add some corporate Headquarters to the roster.
The clip of PHX in your first link is an amazing view, I didn't realize the metro was so mountainous (Also the Miami clip was stunning). I love it in Phoenix and am looking to move from a neighboring desert city to Arizona in the next year or so. Lots of great things about the area drawing people in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area