Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 03:13 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,613,169 times

Advertisements

Do get me wrong...Gilbert is about as safe as it gets in Phoenix. It is a fine place...but like you said...no area is free of crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 03:18 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,301,970 times
Oh no, I understand. Originally we were going to move to Sedona and then I stumbled on Gilbert. Sedona is going to be really limited to work for us. (medical professional) so Gilbert was a thrill to find. More jobs to choose from I'm just glad you opened my eyes more.

Thanks!

Old 06-30-2008, 01:49 PM

410 posts, read 1,294,335 times
I just came across this post.. and seriously... someone is listing a negative to Gilbert is the smell of cow poop.. seriously.. do you even live here? I've lived here (in different locations) since 2001 and have not smelled cow poop except for when we drove near the dairies. Now, if you decide to buy a house near a dairy, well then get ready to live with the smell. But come on Gilbert is large enough that there are plenty of areas where you don't smell the cow poop. I drive around all the time and am trying to remember the last time I smelled it. I'm sorry, but I had to respond to such a ridiculous generalization.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:41 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,316,181 times
5 reasons to love it
1. Wealthy community
2. Safe community
3. Great schools
4. Growing community; one of the fastest growing cities in the country
5. Improved shopping and ammenities; Williams Gateway/new outdoor mall there

5 reasons not to love it
1. Right Wing politically and religiously
2. Lacks Diversity
3. Can be far from the "inner core" of downtown Phoenix and Tempe area
4. Still lacks many shopping and amenities that Chandler, Scottsdale, Tempe and Phoenix have
5. Borders Mesa and some areas can be less safe and not as nice as a result

Bottomline: Great Community and would recommend living there unless you are very liberal and are opposed to some of the local politics. If that's the case, consider Chandler but Gilbert is a great community and it wins awards every year.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:17 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,964,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
5 reasons to love it
1. Wealthy community
2. Safe community
3. Great schools
4. Growing community; one of the fastest growing cities in the country
5. Improved shopping and ammenities; Williams Gateway/new outdoor mall there

5 reasons not to love it
1. Right Wing politically and religiously
2. Lacks Diversity
3. Can be far from the "inner core" of downtown Phoenix and Tempe area
4. Still lacks many shopping and amenities that Chandler, Scottsdale, Tempe and Phoenix have
5. Borders Mesa and some areas can be less safe and not as nice as a result

Bottomline: Great Community and would recommend living there unless you are very liberal and are opposed to some of the local politics. If that's the case, consider Chandler but Gilbert is a great community and it wins awards every year.

I agree #1 on the dislike list.....I one of those people so it fits well. Chandler, Tempe and Ahwatukee has more liberals for sure.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:46 PM

105 posts, read 326,404 times
We looked in Gilbert this weekend for houses to rent, and are pretty much sold on the area. Chandler was nice too. The only place in Gilbert I saw that looked bad was around downtown, but obviously, the houses and neighborhoods around that area are quite old and have been there some time.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:49 PM

Yes, I would say the area around downtown is run down, but not necessarily unsafe.

azriverfan- that about sums it up.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:10 AM

68 posts, read 334,472 times
Incidentally- when I lived in Power Ranch (which was about a week ago, lol!) I smelled cows almost daily. The dairy farms were about 1.5 miles away, but when the wind shifted directions...whew! I don't miss that! There are definitely parts of Gilbert that REEK of cow or horse manure- and not just Power Ranch. But I definitely wouldn't say that the whole town does! Not even close! I also think it's part of the semi-rural feel to the area...

Old 07-01-2008, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 5,610 times
my husband and I are moving to Phoenix in August, we have two small boys. Actually, he's already there. We prefer to live in an older neighborhood with trees and a variety of people instead of the same demographic. Your neighborhood sounds nice. I've been a little sad looking at the repititive house developments and thinking "is there where we will end up?"

Do you mind telling me your zip code or some good cross streets or something that I can look up on zillow so I can check your area out.

Thanks so much!! --Clementine

Old 07-01-2008, 12:51 PM

Clementine,

Definitely check out 85234, cross streets Lindsay and Houston. We live off Corrine, North of Houston. You'll find tree lined streets, elementary school with playground you can use after school hours, custom homes (priced under 300k right now) On the West side of Corrine you'll find smaller but still custom homes on slightly smaller lots. On the east side corrine are the larger lots and bigger homes. No HOA to worry about. The neighbors are awesome, no issues. Everyone has real pride of ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area