Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2021, 08:56 PM

8 posts, read 12,311 times

Advertisements

So me and my family are considering a move to Phoenix. We were thinking of visiting in July to see how we hold up in the heat. I have lived in three places in my life. Washington D.C, Atlanta GA and York PA. Needless to say I'm very use to humid heat however dry heat is very foreign to me. I remember being in Sacramento right before Memorial Day and it was about 90 with 25% humidity. Didn't feel too bad however that is the most experience I have had dealing with dry heat. I was surprised when looking at the weather forecast. It's already well in the 90's in Phoenix for 10 straight days and it's just barely April. Is this normal? How hot does 95 with 15% humidity feel compared to 80 with 60% humidity??? I am a tad concerned about my wife. She sometimes has trouble with blazing sun. Lack of shade could be an issue. Any advice from someone who has relocated from a humid state to here would be helpful.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 09:34 PM

817 posts, read 921,928 times
I have lived in North Texas for 6 years (a few miles north of Dallas). The summers are humid and sticky and I always welcome a chance to get to Arizona, Las Vegas or SoCal to feel the dry heat.

I have left 94 degrees in TX and felt better on arrival to 117 degrees in Arizona. I lived in inland Southern California for 20+ years so I am already acclimated to the dry heat. By comparison, I thought that Chicago was humid until moving to TX.

Also remember that AZ has a lot of mild days in spring, winter, and fall.

Old 04-02-2021, 09:36 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,982,810 times
There is a heatwave in the Southwest. Hotter than normal. Make no mistake about it the heat in Phoenix is intense despite having less humidity than Atlanta. If your wife has problems there it is a virtual lock she will still have problems here. I prefer the "dry heat" as opposed to a more humid climate but I am still a sweaty mess if out during the day. In the peak summer months it remains above 100 at night but much more manageable than being out during the day.

We all have our preferences but dry heat and humid heat is still hot. Experiencing for yourself is the best option. I will say, however, that people keep coming here for a reason. The summer is manageable.

Old 04-02-2021, 10:26 PM

1,471 posts, read 1,417,441 times
Today in Bangkok, 94f, but "feels like" 104f..and I used to have football practice in NoVa in August and that was tough... but July and Aug in Phoenix are two steps hotter/more uncomfortable.. around 4 July is when the humidity starts. The intense dry heat is more mid, late June.

Old 04-03-2021, 05:26 AM

4,598 posts, read 6,354,969 times
"How is Phoenix heat for someone who is use to humid heat?"

You will think you've died and gone to the promised land.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 04-03-2021, 07:11 AM

30,349 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Holly Oak View Post
So me and my family are considering a move to Phoenix. We were thinking of visiting in July to see how we hold up in the heat. I have lived in three places in my life. Washington D.C, Atlanta GA and York PA. Needless to say I'm very use to humid heat however dry heat is very foreign to me. I remember being in Sacramento right before Memorial Day and it was about 90 with 25% humidity. Didn't feel too bad however that is the most experience I have had dealing with dry heat. I was surprised when looking at the weather forecast. It's already well in the 90's in Phoenix for 10 straight days and it's just barely April. Is this normal? How hot does 95 with 15% humidity feel compared to 80 with 60% humidity??? I am a tad concerned about my wife. She sometimes has trouble with blazing sun. Lack of shade could be an issue. Any advice from someone who has relocated from a humid state to here would be helpful.
I grew up in New Orleans area and I much prefer the dry heat to the humidity. 2 days ago, it was 97F here with 6% humidity, our back yard faces the east and about 4 pm the back yard is mostly shady and at that point in time, it's perfectly comfortable outside at 97F provided you don't have the sun on you. Wife also is from New Orleans and much prefers the dry heat although she handles the humid heat better than I.

My advice would be to get a house with the back yard facing the east and to plant trees strategically in your yard or buy a home with that feature already. Also, minimize your time in the sun in the middle of the day. We went for a 45 minute bike ride yesterday at 0730 and the temp was perfect. We come inside from 1100 to 1600 for the most part.

Old 04-03-2021, 07:12 AM

30,349 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"How is Phoenix heat for someone who is use to humid heat?"

You will think you've died and gone to the promised land.

Regards
Gemstone1
LOL....yep that's how i feel.

Old 04-03-2021, 07:15 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
It is not all that dry in July and August and half of September when it is the worst of the heat. Day after day of 112+ with dewpoints in the 60s and even 70s are common at that time of year. The relative humidity may be only 35% at those temps but it is so hot that it more than makes up for it. The "feels like" temps are over 105 every day for weeks on end. Think about that. It is miserable no matter where you are from. And it gets worse with every passing year.

Old 04-03-2021, 07:28 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,917,244 times
the ONLY person that can tell you how you will "feel" is your self..

come out here and stay for a week this time of year, and get a taste of 100 degrees with 5% humidity, and then decide if its for you and your wife

Old 04-03-2021, 09:23 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
I'll probably notch it down a bit this year (now that I will be 72 soon), but here in AZ I will still go out for my 1.5 mile walk as long as it is under 100. When I lived in Virginia, I would have never done that. Even when I lived in Bangkok my cut-off for long walking outside was somewhere in the mid-90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area