Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 11:10 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonRidge View Post
Watch out for the killer bees when hiking too....

Watch out for obesity when never hiking, which is accountable for 300,000 unavoidable deaths per year in the US. Bees on the other hand are responsible for about 62 deaths per year in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2023, 07:48 PM

18 posts, read 17,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingRebel View Post
I also felt the same way at first. Then I started to realize that community is what you make it. My wife and I started hanging out on our front porch more and walking the dogs more. Talking to people as we were outside. It's amazing how many new, great friends we've made just on our street alone.

You're right, though - people are not as quick to approach you here. But if you make the first move, they are generally very willing to strike up a conversation. Sometimes you just need to get out of your comfort zone.

Sorry for the long-delayed response, WanderingRebel.

Old 05-13-2023, 08:00 PM

18 posts, read 17,394 times
Default I myself wasn't quick to reach out to newcomers as I felt like a newbie myself. weren't sure how long we'd be around

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Phoenix isn't for everyone but it seems like you setup the experience you had to some degree.

I myself wasn't quick to reach out to newcomers as I felt like a newbie myself. weren't sure how long we'd be around

Why would being a newcomer cause you not to be quick to reach out to other newcomers? Did you reach out to anyone?Where did you live? It seems like you went into Phoenix life with a mindset that you wouldn't be here very long, so I can see why you never created any roots or strong network of friends.

As omeone who has moved around as well I can tell you moving into a place that has minimal transplants sucked much worse than moving to Phoenix. Breaking through social networks felt impossible because everyone had been "best friends" with their network since they went to grade school together. Newcomers we're few and far between, I talked different, dressed different, I was an outsider big time. I stuck it out for 5 years then came back to Phoenix where I have a very strong network, friends, and now family who have come here as well.

I can also say that 2-years is pretty short to develop a strong social network, as I said I moved somewhere for 5-years and it took far more than 2 to make great friends.

LocoLife - You are absolutely right. I held myself in the position of "a potentially temporary resident" and that certainly was the reason for my lack of social success. I think the point I was making was (to summarize) Phoenix has experienced a lot of population growth with many transplants, and if even a fraction of them are like me, you end up with thousands of Boo Radleys making it more difficult for other new arrivals. Thanks for your comment, my friend.

Old 05-15-2023, 04:10 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I constantly refer to Florida as the swamp and so does my family who lives there. I’ve also heard many Texans and Louisianans refer to Houston and New Orleans as the swamp.

Lots of places in the South are also referred to the Piedmont (Atlanta), or the Appalachians, Seattle is often referred as the Puget Sound. It’s not uncommon for people to refer areas by their GEOGRAPHY. I’ve heard Portland being part of the Columbia Gorge Basin. Denver as the Front Range.

You are forgetting that the original “valley” is San Fernando in LOS ANGELES. Pretty big metro if you ask me which has a “big city” mentality, even in the original “valley”.

You seem to have a negative connotation with living in a desert. Maybe you need to get over that. But you live in a desert, a city in a desert. It’s not wrong to say we live in a desert, it’s factually true.
I've always heard Portland/Salem/Eugene be referred to collectively as the Willamette Valley.

When people in Los Angeles say they're going to "the desert" that is often a connotation for the Palm Springs/Coachella Valley area, even though the desert landscape is much closer to parts of LA than that.

I've seen people in Phoenix and Las Vegas try to call their regions "the valley", which I think is a California influence, as you mentioned.

If you look at historical documents in both Las Vegas and Phoenix, going back before the 1970s, none of the locals called either place "the valley" as a locator. Las Vegas, geographically, is more of an alluvial plane than a true valley.

Old 05-15-2023, 06:04 PM

444 posts, read 321,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
I've seen people in Phoenix and Las Vegas try to call their regions "the valley", which I think is a California influence, as you mentioned.

If you look at historical documents in both Las Vegas and Phoenix, going back before the 1970s, none of the locals called either place "the valley" as a locator. Las Vegas, geographically, is more of an alluvial plane than a true valley.
It looks like Valley of the Sun as a nickname of Metro Phoenix started in the 1930's to increase tourism, so no Phoenix didn't start using that sometime in the 1970's. I lived in the Valley in the mid to late 70's and I knew then it wasn't new. Perhaps it should have been nicknamed Salt River Valley?

https://arizonaoddities.com/2011/06/...-sun-nickname/

Old 05-15-2023, 06:16 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
Here is a discussion on the usage of "the valley" by Jon Talton. (I realize this will trigger comments from people that don't like the guy, but it's worth reading.)

Phoenix 101: 'The Valley'

Old 05-15-2023, 08:10 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Here is a discussion on the usage of "the valley" by Jon Talton. (I realize this will trigger comments from people that don't like the guy, but it's worth reading.)

Phoenix 101: 'The Valley'
Can you imagine if "Valley Metro" was called Phoenix Area Rapid Transit?" We'd all be wearing our Phart t shirts & hats proudly.

Old 05-16-2023, 08:36 AM

4,068 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
I've always heard Portland/Salem/Eugene be referred to collectively as the Willamette Valley.

When people in Los Angeles say they're going to "the desert" that is often a connotation for the Palm Springs/Coachella Valley area, even though the desert landscape is much closer to parts of LA than that.

Pretty sure CA doesn't hold the exclusive rights to calling a region a "Valley" Course CA centric residents may draw a connection cause EVERYTHING is California, there are literally thousands of valleys in any mountainous region.

Old 05-16-2023, 09:24 AM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Pretty sure CA doesn't hold the exclusive rights to calling a region a "Valley" Course CA centric residents may draw a connection cause EVERYTHING is California, there are literally thousands of valleys in any mountainous region.
Grew up in CA and yes that is a thing (thinking that California is the center of the universe). It's not difficult to understand why, but it's still silly. People who live in other areas are location centric as well, but perhaps not to the extent that Californians were and are.

Old 05-16-2023, 09:29 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
"Valley of the Sun" has been around for a long time. "The Valley" moniker is of recent vintage and just plain stupid IMO. Where is this valley of which they speak? Phoenix is located on a vast alluvial plain (basin) punctuated by isolated mountain ranges. It is basin and range. Call it the Basin of the Sun or The Basin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area