Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2023, 07:30 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,732,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
October normally isn't a cool month in Phoenix ... in fact, it actually can be quite warm. But it's a definite relief compared to our 2 hottest months (July & August). Also, the sun's angle is lower in October which reduces the intensity, and that can make a difference, even if it stays warm or hot during the day. Another thing we notice is how the nights are a lot more pleasant in the fall. Phoenix had 16 days in a row during July when the overnight lows didn't drop below 90 degrees.

One benefit to living in Arizona is the variance of climates throughout the state. Some people think all of Arizona has desert heat in the summer, which is far from the truth. I was in the White Mountains (eastern AZ) last week, and it was in the 70s when the sun was out, but it dropped into the 60s during afternoon thundershowers. Absolutely beautiful! Contrast that to Phoenix where the high temps ranged from 106 to 115.

I think October is about perfect, at least the first part of the month, by the end it gets pretty chilly with lows as low as the 50s...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2023, 06:47 AM

39,076 posts, read 51,213,988 times
GM is closing it's tech center in Chandler laying off 1000 high paid workers. I wonder if it has to do with the unbearable climate in Phoenix and the declining quality of life that has come with excessive growth. After this summer I can't imagine why anyone would want to live and work here,

Old 08-24-2023, 08:16 AM

9,526 posts, read 16,510,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
GM is closing it's tech center in Chandler laying off 1000 high paid workers. I wonder if it has to do with the unbearable climate in Phoenix and the declining quality of life that has come with excessive growth. After this summer I can't imagine why anyone would want to live and work here,
I wonder if GM is laying off at their other facilities or just the Chandler Center? Closing a Tech Center and laying off 1000 people in Arizona vs other states, would make one wonder why.

Old 08-24-2023, 07:36 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,259,749 times
Quote:
Maybe we should wait to hear from the GM executives as to why they're doing that massive layoff. Saying that it could be due to the extremely hot summer & excessive growth is pure speculation. I find it difficult to agree with that reasoning, especially since GM has a huge track record of layoffs throughout the U.S. over the years. It's one reason why Detroit went from a successful, productive city to what it is now.

This summer has been horrendous. Thankfully, I escaped a fair amount of it by going on 3 different vacations, but July & August in Phoenix are difficult to deal with anyway (even without the record high temps). Even so, Phoenix is still one of the fastest growing metros in the nation, so the summer weather shouldn't be much of a deterrent. What we need is SMARTER growth. Phoenix has the potential to be a world class city ... however, we could certainly use more corporate HQs, competitive jobs, increased international attractions, a more thriving downtown, and less attention on outdoor recreation, retirement, and climate. Those are things we need to achieve in order to imagine why anybody would want to be here.

Old 08-24-2023, 09:40 PM

843 posts, read 563,941 times
Quote:
HA! Yeah, maybe someone was bitten by a scorpion?

Quote:
Maybe we should wait to hear from the GM executives as to why they're doing that massive layoff. Saying that it could be due to the extremely hot summer & excessive growth is pure speculation. I find it difficult to agree with that reasoning, especially since GM has a huge track record of layoffs throughout the U.S. over the years. It's one reason why Detroit went from a successful, productive city to what it is now.
Doesn't anyone ever look up any of these things?

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...s/70660295007/
Quote:
"This decision was not an easy one, but it will help to optimize our innovation center footprint and gain the efficiencies and effectiveness we need to have to continue to support the company," wrote Stacy Lynett, GM's vice president of Information and Digital Technology.

"We're rationalizing the number of IT innovation centers we have in the country," Kelly said. "We're keeping the other three. But as we look at efficiencies there were some redundancies and that's why we decided to remove one of the centers
."

GM’s three other IT centers are in Warren, Michigan; Austin, Texas, and another in suburban Atlanta.
So, "right-sizing". Maybe they laid them off BECAUSE it makes GM more cost-productive, thereby improving their ability to make GM, and Detroit by association, more successful?

No mention of declining quality of life or hot weather, LOL.

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 08-24-2023 at 10:12 PM..

Old 08-25-2023, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
HA! Yeah, maybe someone was bitten by a scorpion?

Doesn't anyone ever look up any of these things?

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...s/70660295007/

So, "right-sizing". Maybe they laid them off BECAUSE it makes GM more cost-productive, thereby improving their ability to make GM, and Detroit by association, more successful?

No mention of declining quality of life or hot weather, LOL.
Corporate gibberish. One would not expect them to say Phoenix is an "s-hole" even if that is the reason they are getting out.

They are keeping the other three. One is in Altlanta, another Austin. IDK on the third. Both are highly prized locations for tech talent.

It sounds to me like the real reason is that Phoenix is not a desirable place to be compared to their other centers and if one had to go the decision was easy.

Old 08-25-2023, 07:26 AM

Quote:

This summer has been horrendous. Thankfully, I escaped a fair amount of it by going on 3 different vacations, but July & August in Phoenix are difficult to deal with anyway (even without the record high temps). Even so, Phoenix is still one of the fastest growing metros in the nation, so the summer weather shouldn't be much of a deterrent. What we need is SMARTER growth. Phoenix has the potential to be a world class city ... however, we could certainly use more corporate HQs, competitive jobs, increased international attractions, a more thriving downtown, and less attention on outdoor recreation, retirement, and climate. Those are things we need to achieve in order to imagine why anybody would want to be here.
You've been preaching the same thing for 15 years now. And you are right. But it is not happening. If anything, Phoenix is going the opposite direction with warehouses and data centers, low paying jobs, ever-worsening schools, and now California prices on Alabama salaries. Pile on weeks of temperatures near 120.

Is it any wonder that given the choice of closing their operations in Chandler, Atlanta, or Austin, they chose Chandler?

Old 08-25-2023, 08:55 AM

843 posts, read 563,941 times
Quote:
Corporate gibberish. One would not expect them to say Phoenix is an "s-hole" even if that is the reason they are getting out.

They are keeping the other three. One is in Altlanta, another Austin. IDK on the third. Both are highly prized locations for tech talent.

It sounds to me like the real reason is that Phoenix is not a desirable place to be compared to their other centers and if one had to go the decision was easy.
GM's HQ is in Warren, MI. There are many possible reasons why they would close the AZ location. It could have simply been that Chandler had the highest lease payment, or the highest wages, or the lowest productivity. Or the time difference could be an issue. You just gravitate to the one that suits your narrative.

They had 4 locations and have to always keep evaluating whether they are getting a "bang for their buck" and if they can do the same work with fewer employees, like any company does. So they closed one, it happens all of the time.

Old 08-25-2023, 03:23 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,082,442 times
Not gonna disagree with any of the aforementioned comments.

We knew GM was toast here when they closed the Proving Grounds.

Warren, MI wouldn't close; too close to HQ.

Austin, TX has the Innovation Center.

Down to Georgia & Arizona.

Maybe Atlanta Operations were too big to fail.

Old 08-25-2023, 04:50 PM

1,999 posts, read 863,714 times
Quote:
You can't be serious? It's business and nothing personal. It's about money and that's it. Chandler was the odd man out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area