Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2023, 05:15 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,747,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
GM is closing it's tech center in Chandler laying off 1000 high paid workers. I wonder if it has to do with the unbearable climate in Phoenix and the declining quality of life that has come with excessive growth. After this summer I can't imagine why anyone would want to live and work here,
Why do you stay here if you can't stand it so much? June was below average, July was hot, August has been okay and it's almost over.

If summer temps are the thing that drives layoffs, is it too hot in Colorado too? 8/25- Chevron issues mass layoff notice for Colorado workers

Plenty of growth occurring in Phoenix.
  • 8/17: PHOENIX – Bar K, a mixed-breed attraction where dogs and their owners can cavort, is moving its headquarters to Arizona ahead of a major expansion that includes a Phoenix location.
  • 8/21: ASM America buys land in north Scottsdale corporate corridor
  • 8/10: Axon files plans for huge corporate HQ site, and more, in north Scottsdale
  • 8/21: Semiconductor industry supplier buys land in Casa Grande
  • 6/14: Phoenix-based Republic Services Inc., one of the largest Arizona-based public companies, has picked a new mixed-use project in north Phoenix for the expansion of its U.S. headquarters just down the street from its current office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2023, 08:27 AM

2,032 posts, read 878,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Why do you stay here if you can't stand it so much? June was below average, July was hot, August has been okay and it's almost over.

If summer temps are the thing that drives layoffs, is it too hot in Colorado too? 8/25- Chevron issues mass layoff notice for Colorado workers

Plenty of growth occurring in Phoenix.
  • 8/17: PHOENIX – Bar K, a mixed-breed attraction where dogs and their owners can cavort, is moving its headquarters to Arizona ahead of a major expansion that includes a Phoenix location.
  • 8/21: ASM America buys land in north Scottsdale corporate corridor
  • 8/10: Axon files plans for huge corporate HQ site, and more, in north Scottsdale
  • 8/21: Semiconductor industry supplier buys land in Casa Grande
  • 6/14: Phoenix-based Republic Services Inc., one of the largest Arizona-based public companies, has picked a new mixed-use project in north Phoenix for the expansion of its U.S. headquarters just down the street from its current office.
People aren't happy unless they have something to complain about.

Old 08-26-2023, 04:33 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,290,519 times
Quote:
What concern is it of yours if somebody chooses to stay here? I'm not defending Ponderosa's speculation about the GM layoffs, but maybe he has valid reasons to be in the Phoenix area, and just doesn't care for the hot summers. Many others feel the same way about the heat ... especially with this summer rivaling 2020 in the record temperature category.

Old 08-27-2023, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
What concern is it of yours if somebody chooses to stay here? I'm not defending Ponderosa's speculation about the GM layoffs, but maybe he has valid reasons to be in the Phoenix area, and just doesn't care for the hot summers. Many others feel the same way about the heat ... especially with this summer rivaling 2020 in the record temperature category.
Okay, then lets look at it another way, the entire world is having extreme heat this summer. I just find it odd to act like we all need to abandon ship in Phoenix, and go where exactly? And why because July was extra toasty?

The Cardinals went to Minnesota this week for joint practices, they had to shift practice schedules due to heat indices of 105 in Minneapolis. Over 350 wildfires are burning in British Columbia, it's overtaking towns and homes are being lost. We haven't even seen the first major Atlantic hurricane this year but I'm really not looking forward to what devastation that may bring, with the Gulf water at record temperatures. I guess all those places should up and relocate too, and go where?

Old 08-27-2023, 02:27 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,321,770 times
Quote:
Okay, then lets look at it another way, the entire world is having extreme heat this summer. I just find it odd to act like we all need to abandon ship in Phoenix, and go where exactly? And why because July was extra toasty?

The Cardinals went to Minnesota this week for joint practices, they had to shift practice schedules due to heat indices of 105 in Minneapolis. Over 350 wildfires are burning in British Columbia, it's overtaking towns and homes are being lost. We haven't even seen the first major Atlantic hurricane this year but I'm really not looking forward to what devastation that may bring, with the Gulf water at record temperatures. I guess all those places should up and relocate too, and go where?
Today it's 75 and lovely there. Here? Still 115 with extreme heat warnings.

Old 08-27-2023, 09:14 PM

843 posts, read 569,154 times
Quote:
Sure, in 3 months it'll be about 25 degrees and often snowing in Minny, with icy roads and lows in the teens. And the temp here will be around 70 and lovely. Give or take.

Take the good with the bad.

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 08-27-2023 at 10:17 PM..

Old 08-28-2023, 05:55 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,321,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
Sure, in 3 months it'll be about 25 degrees and often snowing in Minny, with icy roads and lows in the teens. And the temp here will be around 70 and lovely. Give or take.

Take the good with the bad.
That was not my point. I would not want to live in MSP either based on weather alone. I don't want a discussion about the pros and cons of weather in other cities. The point is, if I have to point it out, that a day or two of a summer heat wave in MSP does not equal or lessen the misery of months of relentless heat in Phoenix.

That is why it is so hard to "enjoy" the heat. It is insufferable in its duration. It goes on and on and on. When you finally start to think it might end, like now at the end of August, it comes back - 115-120 temps we have never seen here this late before.

I have roots that run 50 years deep here. I'm not going. But I am going to be honest about how hard it is to live in this place anymore and advise people to stay away.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 08-28-2023 at 06:04 AM..

Old 08-28-2023, 08:50 AM

6,832 posts, read 4,283,840 times
It's seriously far-fetched to link GM's choice to the weather. Southern California with its goldilocks climate has been losing corporate jobs left and right for decades.

Old 08-28-2023, 07:11 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,290,519 times
Quote:
It has definitely been a bad summer in many parts of the world. I know somebody who went to the French Riviera, and it was unusually hot there (no A/C in the hotel rooms). Paris is hosting the Summer Olympics next year, and this is a city that has been as high as 109 degrees just a few years ago. The Olympics will likely still go on regardless of heat or weather conditions. With that in mind, doesn't it make you wonder why Phoenix hasn't hosted a Summer Olympics? No pun intended, but we should at least be in the running for it by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
It's seriously far-fetched to link GM's choice to the weather. Southern California with its goldilocks climate has been losing corporate jobs left and right for decades.
Yep. Companies aren't moving in or out of a certain area due to climate or extreme weather. Minneapolis is a smaller metro area, but they have 15 Fortune 500 company HQs (more than Phoenix), so their bitter cold winters obviously aren't holding them back when it comes to business enterprise.

Old 08-28-2023, 07:24 PM

Quote:
As for a bigger picture view, in the month of August we'll have a grand total of 4-5 days at or above 115, days at or above 110 will be 17 for the month. A hot one but claiming it's "still 115" seems like a stretch when it's happened only around 15% of the days in the month.

July had 17 days at 115 or higher, a real scorcher. Is it a permanent change, is it in part caused by climate change and a near record breaking El Nino? That latter seems to be the meteorological consensus but I guess time will tell.

June saw just 4 days at 110 or greater, an oddly cool June by Phoenix standards which probably delayed/prevented the Monsoon and made July what it was.

Last edited by locolife; 08-28-2023 at 07:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area