Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2024, 08:31 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,282,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
People hear what they want to hear. Then social media platforms that are driven by AI algorithms are tailored to their individual bias. In the end, the downside is that the algorithms often favor certain groups or viewpoints. Next, a person turns on their "News" channel of choice and the rest is history. This happens to all of us to various degrees.

As I said before, if there is a controversial topic with technical data involved, statistical lies come out and hardened opinions can never be changed.

With technical topics, a stringent peer-reviewed approach needs to be used. Normally, a brilliant technical mind presents their findings and they can be shredded for their methodology. Most often, the technical peer group asks many questions outside of the public eye. Then, they send it back asking the author to correct and modify their work before they publish the paper. While this isn't perfect, it's a Hell of a lot better than assuming someone with a technical pedigree automatically got it right! Because often, they have holes in their approach and have a wrong conclusion because of it.

Our son has published about 20 medical papers. He said that The New England Journal of Medicine or NEJM is a lot more stringent than say, JAMA. As in, less than 5% of articles are published in NEJM. Smart Docs realize if it hits NEJM, they can much more easily trust the information. And when it came to COVID data, smarter Docs were not believing what the layperson read. So if you want the closest to the truth about COVID, here you go https://www.nejm.org/coronavirus

For the most part, peer reviews didn't remotely occur during COVID. It was all about getting the info out as fast as possible. Hence, the misinformation happened on both sides. People were reading heavily flawed research combined with their AI-delivered "News" that often matched their political POV.

So no, not "everyone has an agenda, and it's usually driven by power and money." Surely outside of the technical community, getting elected (power) and handing out money is problematic. As always, the real truth takes a lot of sorting. I propose it is easier for technical minds. I think a good deal of skepticism is healthy. But at the end of the day, you need to make a good decision or your family might suffer. When it comes to manmade global warming, it's a fact. The only question is how much (the weighted average as compared to things that are out of our control). I have concluded that at least 50% of the warm-up is manmade. But not all of it. Therefore, mitigation efforts are in order. But our world leaders are doing a terrible job at leading. As much as anything, I suspect it is because they are not technical and are easily swayed.
Strongly disagree. You say it yourself all the time, follow the money. Just because your son may not have an agenda, the people signing his checks do - I assure you of that. And the elites in power put pressure on people beneath them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2024, 08:46 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,257,377 times
I said earlier I like this forum for some of the best discussion on real estate (Im in Lake Havasu but there are similarities to Phoenix).

I will add that I think its also been a great place for some sanity on Covid information. I tried to look at the link MN posted https://www.nejm.org/coronavirus but its over my head. Happy that you boil down some of that for us here.

Old 02-20-2024, 08:47 AM

9,797 posts, read 11,196,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Strongly disagree. You say it yourself all the time, follow the money. Just because your son may not have an agenda, the people signing his checks do - I assure you of that. And the elites in power put pressure on people beneath them.
I will agree with the statement of "usually" it has to do with money. But often (40% of the time), it has to do with the facts. It's gotten worse, not better. I explained how I decipherer data (and why there is so much misinformation). BTW. "The people signing his checks" have NOTHING to do with his published papers. When you learn something, you publish. It may or may not be sponsored by someone whiting out a check.

Anyways, it sounds like you are giving up. I am not. I sort though the data according and I think I get it right more than I get it wrong.

Old 02-20-2024, 09:56 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,664,859 times
Quote:
More paranoid conspiracy nonsense. Show some evidence of this.

Old 02-20-2024, 10:59 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,734,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I will agree with the statement of "usually" it has to do with money. But often (40% of the time), it has to do with the facts. It's gotten worse, not better. I explained how I decipherer data (and why there is so much misinformation). BTW. "The people signing his checks" have NOTHING to do with his published papers. When you learn something, you publish. It may or may not be sponsored by someone whiting out a check.

Anyways, it sounds like you are giving up. I am not. I sort though the data according and I think I get it right more than I get it wrong.
Your quest for data is very admirable. I too like the data but I'm fascinated by exchanges like the one in posts 166-169.

Old 02-20-2024, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
More paranoid conspiracy nonsense. Show some evidence of this.
I posted 2 links that you didn't respond to. It's no longer a conspiracy - you just have your head in the sand and pride is in the way of admitting it. I'll post them again in case you conveniently decided to gloss over them. These were "conspiracies" not that long ago.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/white-h...le-11673203704

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/ar-BB1iuvvi

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...768-4/fulltext

Old 02-20-2024, 11:47 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,664,859 times
Quote:
I posted 2 links that you didn't respond to. It's no longer a conspiracy - you just have your head in the sand and pride is in the way of admitting it. I'll post them again in case you conveniently decided to gloss over them. These were "conspiracies" not that long ago.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/white-h...le-11673203704

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/ar-BB1iuvvi

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...768-4/fulltext
None of that proves anything. Social media companies moderated misinformation, medications have side effects, and the vaccine wasn't 100% effective. That's hardly any sort of smoking gun. You fail to understand harm reduction if you think it is.

I was talking about climate change though. Go ahead, prove your conspiracy theory on that.

Old 02-21-2024, 07:49 AM

50,933 posts, read 24,441,927 times
Quote:
All of this seriously reminds me of the Covid disaster. There is just too much misinformation out there. It's overwhelming and, frankly, I'm starting to lose interest in all of it. Everyone has an agenda, and it's usually driven by power and money.
So let's see. You have a B.A. in political science and on your home page on this website you have the following statements: "Liberty or Death" and "Don't Tread on Me"

yet you're surprised that "everyone has an agenda".

Old 02-21-2024, 07:51 AM

50,933 posts, read 24,441,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
If you really want to get to the bottom of this issue, here is something from a former president of the US
How come you didn't mention which president?

Old 02-21-2024, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
None of that proves anything. Social media companies moderated misinformation, medications have side effects, and the vaccine wasn't 100% effective. That's hardly any sort of smoking gun. You fail to understand harm reduction if you think it is.

I was talking about climate change though. Go ahead, prove your conspiracy theory on that.
You do realize that not everything you disagree with needs to be labeled a conspiracy theory. Since the dawn of time, people have had differing opinions and outlooks on things. Even Einstein got some things wrong, so maybe you could be wrong about something?

Maybe, just maybe, open your mind a little bit to the possibility that the government, big pharma, the elites, etc don't care about you or have your best interest in mind. Humble yourself and your ego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area