Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2024, 12:02 PM

1,997 posts, read 861,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Because it's good to pump pollutants into our atmosphere?

Yeah...that's smart.
More feel good arguments with no intelligent thought process. What makes you think anyone that owns a car that burns gas wants pollutants in the atmosphere. Until we have a viable alternative that moves society from point a to point b, gas vehicles it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2024, 12:17 PM

1,688 posts, read 1,268,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I could say pretty much the same thing for those who want to simply continue the gas guzzlers, etc. Big oil -- "a lot of money and power at stake here. The loudest voices [against] climate change advocacy are also poised to make a lot of money by [not] changing our very standards of life. Like you always say, follow the money. The regular folk who worship at the alter [of the big oil] cult are simply the idiots of our time".
This is far from the truth. First off, oil/gas is what started the Industrial Revolution and what made us into the modern marvel our country currently is. We've been using fossil fuels for a long time. No one stands to make more money than is currently already being made. This ball has already been rolling for quite some time.

Second, I don't recall ever seeing useful idiots throwing fake blood on paintings in support of Big Oil. I don't recall Big Oil advocates blocking traffic with human shields because they want us to continue using fossil fuels. There is no big oil cult. There is no Greta Thunberg supporting Exxon Mobil. Get real.

Your rebuttal was so futile, because you know I'm right. The best you can think of is to change my words around instead of forming your own logical position.

Old 02-10-2024, 03:37 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
This is far from the truth. First off, oil/gas is what started the Industrial Revolution and what made us into the modern marvel our country currently is. We've been using fossil fuels for a long time. No one stands to make more money than is currently already being made. This ball has already been rolling for quite some time.

Second, I don't recall ever seeing useful idiots throwing fake blood on paintings in support of Big Oil. I don't recall Big Oil advocates blocking traffic with human shields because they want us to continue using fossil fuels. There is no big oil cult. There is no Greta Thunberg supporting Exxon Mobil. Get real.

Your rebuttal was so futile, because you know I'm right. The best you can think of is to change my words around instead of forming your own logical position.
Wrong. Steam started the industrial revolution, notably Fulton's steamboat in 1807 that made rivers navigable in BOTH directions, quickly, reliably, and at vastly lower costs. It also powered the textile industry in New England and Europe which were ravenous for cotton from our southern states, both before and after the Civil War, which the North won on the back of its system of standardized steam railroads that criss crossed Union territory. Steam allowed much bigger mills to be built almost anywhere rather than strictly on rivers or streams with moving water. Canals in the northern USA are subject to low water levels (drought), high water levels (floods) and hard water (the damned things freeze in the winter). Canals were notably expensive and very slow. Steam railroads put canals out of business as canals have 3 major weather problems. Steam made water-powered textile mills obsolete since water powered mills were also subject to high, low and hard water issues as were the canals. Steam railroads, my father's career, connected the nation like never before. Steam was the power; wood was the first fuel and coal took over until railroads ended steam trains in the 1950s. Oil and gas came much later.

Big oil doesn't need a cult; thanks to the execrable Citizens United ruling big oil has tens of billions of dollars to spread around federal and state legislatures to protect their existence, derail moving to renewable energies and keep us locked into progressively warmer summers, which is what I expect this year will be. Anyone cheering for big oil/gas is probably an oil man, stockbroker, stockholder or a victim of industry and political propaganda.

The term "useful idiots" goes back at least as far as Josef Stalin of USSR infamy. His machinery used thousands of local thugs to murder opposition persons and that the term Stalin used to describe the suckers who did his dirty work. Eventually Stalin had the thugs killed too, to be sure they didn't turn on him later. Dictators do that sort of thing; so do some politicians who take advantage of underlings then throw them under the bus. It's a shame that poorly educated persons are used shamelessly by cynical types. Fan boys for various industries or personalities could be considered a form of useful idiot, though I prefer we not use the word 'idiot' in our posts here.

Let's get back on topic .... what do we expect this summer has in store for Phoenix?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-10-2024 at 04:15 PM..

Old 02-10-2024, 05:33 PM

1,688 posts, read 1,268,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Wrong. Steam started the industrial revolution, notably Fulton's steamboat in 1807 that made rivers navigable in BOTH directions, quickly, reliably, and at vastly lower costs. It also powered the textile industry in New England and Europe which were ravenous for cotton from our southern states, both before and after the Civil War, which the North won on the back of its system of standardized steam railroads that criss crossed Union territory. Steam allowed much bigger mills to be built almost anywhere rather than strictly on rivers or streams with moving water. Canals in the northern USA are subject to low water levels (drought), high water levels (floods) and hard water (the damned things freeze in the winter). Canals were notably expensive and very slow. Steam railroads put canals out of business as canals have 3 major weather problems. Steam made water-powered textile mills obsolete since water powered mills were also subject to high, low and hard water issues as were the canals. Steam railroads, my father's career, connected the nation like never before. Steam was the power; wood was the first fuel and coal took over until railroads ended steam trains in the 1950s. Oil and gas came much later.

Big oil doesn't need a cult; thanks to the execrable Citizens United ruling big oil has tens of billions of dollars to spread around federal and state legislatures to protect their existence, derail moving to renewable energies and keep us locked into progressively warmer summers, which is what I expect this year will be. Anyone cheering for big oil/gas is probably an oil man, stockbroker, stockholder or a victim of industry and political propaganda.

The term "useful idiots" goes back at least as far as Josef Stalin of USSR infamy. His machinery used thousands of local thugs to murder opposition persons and that the term Stalin used to describe the suckers who did his dirty work. Eventually Stalin had the thugs killed too, to be sure they didn't turn on him later. Dictators do that sort of thing; so do some politicians who take advantage of underlings then throw them under the bus. It's a shame that poorly educated persons are used shamelessly by cynical types. Fan boys for various industries or personalities could be considered a form of useful idiot, though I prefer we not use the word 'idiot' in our posts here.

Let's get back on topic .... what do we expect this summer has in store for Phoenix?
Wikipedia served you well. Regardless, my facts may have been a little off, but my main point still remains.

And I never called anyone on this forum an idiot. It is a term that has historical and current significance.

Old 02-10-2024, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Wikipedia served you well. ...
Wikipedia serves ALL of us well, if we use it. Before anyone starts blowing smoke, NO, Wikipedia is NOT owned, funded, operated or controlled by George Soros.

You're dates weren't off, they simply are total fiction. Oil and gas did not fuel the start of either the first or second industrial revolutions. It was steam and coal that did the job. Wikipedia is our friend.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-10-2024 at 07:33 PM..

Old 02-11-2024, 10:23 AM

265 posts, read 150,459 times
Quote:
I had the same thoughts as you. Yes, it was only a couple days earlier than the average day for 'first 80-degree day' but IMO it is a harbinger of a long hot summer. Probably longer and hotter than the last.
What makes one warm winter day “harbinger of a long hot summer. Probably longer and hotter than the last.”?

Old 02-11-2024, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amattaro View Post
What makes one warm winter day “harbinger of a long hot summer. Probably longer and hotter than the last.”?
That this early warm day actually occurred is, taken as a whole with all the other climate news coming forth, causes me and others to believe we will have another summer that's hot, hotter, or the hottest on record, which has been happening with alarming regularity. Believe whatever you wish. I'll go with the science and make my own choices that are informed by the science and not by the political chattering class.

Old 02-11-2024, 11:32 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,722,192 times
Quote:
That this early warm day actually occurred is, taken as a whole with all the other climate news coming forth, causes me and others to believe we will have another summer that's hot, hotter, or the hottest on record, which has been happening with alarming regularity. Believe whatever you wish. I'll go with the science and make my own choices that are informed by the science and not by the political chattering class.
What will those be?

Old 02-11-2024, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
What will those be?
I'll let you figure that out.

Old 02-11-2024, 02:31 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,722,192 times
Quote:
I'll let you figure that out.
So you predict that this summer we'll hit record highs and face, as the OP says: "impending disaster," but you won't share any of your plans or ideas? That's strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area