Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 03:23 AM

799 posts, read 2,168,960 times

Advertisements

gee,all those restaurants and stores here spewing out cooling water mists from their canopies...that has to be adding some humidity to the environment, also all the irrigating of landscapes and plants around. It's not normal or part of the desert environment so sure, it is changing the humidity levels. Concrete, lawns, trees, plants, mists, irrigation, and the heat just pulls it up into the air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 03:27 AM

799 posts, read 2,168,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Thats actually about as bad as it possibly gets here in Chicagoland. But, the winters you probably wont like.

Actually, I just checked and its actually less humid than that, and this is the hottest and most humid day this year. I dont like this weather today! UGH!
Chicago, Illinois (60290) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground
The only thing I ever disliked about winter was having to go to work in it, or get up 2 hours early to shovel snow and have extra drive time to work, because of ice or snowstorms.
I didn't mind the cold. Someone told me long ago, if you live in a cold climate, get yourself a good down coat. Best advice ever, with a hood, and I was never cold. The wind just can't cut through it.

The air is so dry here in AZ. My hair feels like straw and I can put oil on my skin and let it soak right in.
I stay out of the sun and wear sunscreen.

There is something therapeutic about the humidity back east. Here, it is too hot to go outside and soak up the humidity.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:41 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,080,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
The only thing I ever disliked about winter was having to go to work in it, or get up 2 hours early to shovel snow and have extra drive time to work, because of ice or snowstorms.
I didn't mind the cold. Someone told me long ago, if you live in a cold climate, get yourself a good down coat. Best advice ever, with a hood, and I was never cold. The wind just can't cut through it.

The air is so dry here in AZ. My hair feels like straw and I can put oil on my skin and let it soak right in.
I stay out of the sun and wear sunscreen.

There is something therapeutic about the humidity back east. Here, it is too hot to go outside and soak up the humidity.
Glad to here you say this. My skin is so dry most of the year here, I welcome the humid months. I hate having to use lotion all day.
I suppose that shoveling would get a bit annoying, but it's good exercise. ha ha ha
I hear you have to have a garage and get a house as close to the street as possible. Oh, and hire the kids on your block to shovel your walk. lol

Old 07-26-2008, 08:45 AM

307 posts, read 954,181 times
Cool wife from East coast

My wife is from the East Coast (NJ) and when the Monsoon kicks up here in PHX she hates it.

In other words, she has no desire to be any place that is humid; however, she hates when I tell her how my skin seems better during the Monsoon season...

She likes the dry heat vs. humid heat.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:01 AM

Most people do. I think we are just crazy. lol Everyone I know picks dry over wet, that's why I am always wondering if I just don't understand how wet, wet can get. lol

Old 07-26-2008, 09:09 AM

307 posts, read 954,181 times
Lightbulb New England bound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Most people do. I think we are just crazy. lol Everyone I know picks dry over wet, that's why I am always wondering if I just don't understand how wet, wet can get. lol
Twiggy - I think if you are relocating to the New England area, then you'll be just fine in the humid heat there. It will most likely be topped out in the 90's but will have very short peaks in that high temperature range.

In other words, it will not fell too hot for you because you've been through the hottest place in the US of A!

Old 07-26-2008, 10:20 AM

Question I know I will freeze, but don't want to roast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDish2000 View Post
Twiggy - I think if you are relocating to the New England area, then you'll be just fine in the humid heat there. It will most likely be topped out in the 90's but will have very short peaks in that high temperature range.

In other words, it will not fell too hot for you because you've been through the hottest place in the US of A!
Nice! I expect to freeze, that will be my weekness, but I would hate to go there and roast too. lol I wonder if I will freeze to death or just get a little numb. ha ha
I am looking into that "down coat" thing though. And a good pair of boots.

Any other clothing suggestions from you cold weather posters? I would love some advise.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:33 AM

8,318 posts, read 13,447,487 times
I think after the first people who were running away from hot+humid areas settled down here in AZ, they forgot how bad it was before and started whining about how dry it was, etc. God got sick of all the whining and showed them how they didn't know what the hell they were talking about it by giving them 4-6 weeks of Monsoon.

Everyone was like "Oh God, this is horrible, sorry we were bunch of silly, unappreciative whiners please forgive us!", so came back the nice cool Fall and Winter, then Spring followed by hot and dry Summer.

Forgetting their previous silliness, people in south AZ started b.tching again, so God said "that is it! You will have monsoons every year around the same time to remind you of this!!"

So, that is the story of how monsoons came about....I think but I could be wrong.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcoloco View Post
i think after the first people who were running away from hot+humid areas settled down here in az, they forgot how bad it was before and started whining about how dry it was, etc. God got sick of all the whining and showed them how they didn't know what the hell they were talking about it by giving them 4-6 weeks of monsoon.

Everyone was like "oh god, this is horrible, sorry we were bunch of silly, unappreciative whiners please forgive us!", so came back the nice cool fall and winter, then spring followed by hot and dry summer.

Forgetting their previous silliness, people in south az started b.tching again, so god said "that is it! You will have monsoons every year around the same time to remind you of this!!"

so, that is the story of how monsoons came about....i think but i could be wrong. :d
lololololololololololololololololololololololololo lolololololololololololololololololololololol
That should be our new holiday. The birth of the monsoons. We can teach the greedy people to appreciate what they have.
MONSOON DAY

Old 07-27-2008, 01:08 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I think after the first people who were running away from hot+humid areas settled down here in AZ, they forgot how bad it was before and started whining about how dry it was, etc. God got sick of all the whining and showed them how they didn't know what the hell they were talking about it by giving them 4-6 weeks of Monsoon.

Everyone was like "Oh God, this is horrible, sorry we were bunch of silly, unappreciative whiners please forgive us!", so came back the nice cool Fall and Winter, then Spring followed by hot and dry Summer.

Forgetting their previous silliness, people in south AZ started b.tching again, so God said "that is it! You will have monsoons every year around the same time to remind you of this!!"

So, that is the story of how monsoons came about....I think but I could be wrong.
Or maybe we are just a dirty little spot on Gods sunglasses and God blows hot steamy air on the spot to clean it up. The humidity really Whipes ME out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area