Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 12:35 AM

430 posts, read 1,411,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
This is my third summer here.

The first summer was a novelty to me, I was excited about the new area and new experiences. The monsoons had me standing outside in the rain with a smile on my face. I was excited, happy to be here and didn't notice the heat.

My second summer had me convinced that i moved the the 54th level of hell. I couldn't stand being outside, couldn't get cool inside, the cars air conditioning couldn't go cold enough, I hated that i couldn't even take a cold shower. One day i emptied the ice maker tray into the tub and filled it just trying to get cool. By the time the monsoons started I had already convinced myself that I had made a massive mistake moving here, and was trying to figure out how to go back home. It didn't help that the heat lasted well into the fall. Then one day it all went away, and i was happy again.

Now, into my third summer the heat hasn't bothered me, I guess I'm acclimated. I'm actually shocked that its already July. I know its hot, but haven't complained yet except for when I get in the hot car, and put on the scalding sunglasses burning the lines into my temples. I think this is a right of passage for anyone who moved to the desert.

Hang in there, take some weekends up north.
gosh I can so relate.yeah, where is the cold water anyway? no such thing as a cold shower, in the dead of summer, the water never gets cool. I have to pitch ice cubes in water to wash vegetables, other wise I am washing them in warm water
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 02:19 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,017,603 times
I think winter here feel "wintery" enough. Temperatures still drop into the upper 20s in the outlying areas of the Valley, including N. Scottsdale, a few times every winter. The vast majority of nights are still 36-43 degrees here. There were a couple mornings where I had to wear a rather heavy coat and start my SUV up a couple minutes to warm up the engine before I left. I also found myself using the heat both in my car and house a lot more often than I thought I would have to. There are more than a few winter days here when it doesn't crack 60. To me, that's chilly enough.

Summers here are starting to become a bit irritating. I noticed that my first summer (last year) wasn't that bad at all. It seemed to go by rather quickly, and I thought all the posts on here about miserable Arizona summers were quite overblow. Now, I definitely notice the heat. The best way to deal with it is to really go day-by-day in getting through the summer. There's really no sense in looking forward to October; it's still three months away (that's hypothetically another 90 or so days we could have above 100). The humidity is a nice change for a day or two, but that's gets tiring too. Last summer I did spend a significant amount of time in Tucson. I notice that they get a lot more frequent rain events (monsoon starts earlier, ends later), they also seem to contend with much higher and frequent periods of humidity, but cooler temperatures on the order of 6-8 degrees during the day as a much as 15 degrees or more at night (fewer heat absorbing surfaces, higher elevation).

I would urge any newcomers who are really struggling to get through summer to take it day-by-day. Rushing summer along will not help, because it is nowhere close to being finished.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:33 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,091,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkylady2 View Post
gosh I can so relate.yeah, where is the cold water anyway? no such thing as a cold shower, in the dead of summer, the water never gets cool. I have to pitch ice cubes in water to wash vegetables, other wise I am washing them in warm water
I know, ha ha, isn't that the truth. I have to put pitchers of water in the refrig. or I can't drink it. I have my filter on the fauset instead of my refrig,. door (big mistake out here).

Old 07-06-2008, 09:49 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,029,650 times
Why is your water warm from your faucet?

Old 07-06-2008, 11:54 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,784,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
all I get is warm water too. In Washington, if you left the faucet on cold, you got icy chilled water, at least in the winter. Oh well, thats what they invented ice cubes for. I don't wanna take a bath in ice cubes though, that sounded painfull.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:09 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,462,707 times
Quote:
You dont have that problem?? Seriously?

At my FIL's home on Shea, the water never got cold in summer. He has since moved to North Scottsdale into a million dollar home and the water there still doesnt get cold, even though they said it should, using deeper piping or something like that? Anyways, yeah, the water there never gets cold in summer either. You burn and sweat all day in the heat, come home and jump into a bathwater-warm pool, then take another warm shower (with the dial turned to "C"), then get out of the shower and sweat all over again. Its miserable, and I know exactly what these people speak of.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:46 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,710,801 times
I came back from Pinetop and it was 64 degrees with 80% humidity. I felt sticky.

When I arrived in Phoenix at night, 98 degrees and no more sticky.

BTW, if anyone loves seeing our galaxy with the naked eye. Go to the top of salt river canyon in the middle of the night. It's so dark and high, you can see what i thought, was the milky way.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:13 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,029,650 times
Wow, thats weird, I live in an old brick building downtown (built 1919) and the water is cold! After I go for a run and come back, its WAY too cold. I give my dog tap water and its cold. Hmmm, weird, this is the first time I heard of warm tap water. My parents told me they don't have a problem either, they live in a newer house in Litchfield Park. Even if the pipes aren't buried that deep, more than six inches deep the soil is chilly. I was planting some flowers in my little garden spot in our buildings and dug holes for the plants and the dirt was cold. I know if you have a water hose, you have to let it run for a few seconds because that water comes out warm, but that's because the hose it HOT! LOL.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:24 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,180,783 times
Quote:
Wow, thats weird, I live in an old brick building downtown (built 1919) and the water is cold! After I go for a run and come back, its WAY too cold. I give my dog tap water and its cold. Hmmm, weird, this is the first time I heard of warm tap water. My parents told me they don't have a problem either, they live in a newer house in Litchfield Park. Even if the pipes aren't buried that deep, more than six inches deep the soil is chilly. I was planting some flowers in my little garden spot in our buildings and dug holes for the plants and the dirt was cold. I know if you have a water hose, you have to let it run for a few seconds because that water comes out warm, but that's because the hose it HOT! LOL.
My water has always been cold as well. In the shower, if I turn it to the cold side it will freeze me out.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:13 PM

44,661 posts, read 61,736,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
My water has always been cold as well. In the shower, if I turn it to the cold side it will freeze me out.
Ours too...and to prove it, my wife told me this am to "go take a cold shower".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area