Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:46 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,485,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg View Post
who cares really, it's all about personal satisfaction. To each is own. When I travel back home to Michigan I do miss the greenery, water, and......well that's about it. But I am happy to return to PHX. I do not miss bone shattering cold weather, but this extreme heat is no joke. I don't miss raking leaves, cutting grass, & shoveling snow. I enjoy having a virtually maintenence free landscape, but like I said to each is own. To me the weather is just a bonus down here, I came for work, cuz michigan is turning into an economic wasteland
I agree. But I responded to ArizonaBear because everytime there is a weather discussion, he has to take shots at winter in areas. I happen to enjoy winters, its a change of pace and is very beautiful. And I dont like raking/shoveling/etc either, thats why my association takes care of it. I dont have to lift a dang finger.

Yes, its a shame about MI's economy, its a beautiful state plagued with a bad economy. MI is one of my fave spots to vacation, I absolutely love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 10:46 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,032,278 times
No, doesn't seem more humid, yet.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:47 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,064,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiwei View Post
I have a question:

For a 1st timer spending the summer here, how do I tell monsoon is at my door step? I know about the humidity would steadily increase and dew points get higher days right before it. But, say, if I look up at the sky a few hours before it hits, what would I see?
The government now tells us that it is Monsoon season beginning June 15th. You can track it for real, here: Track the Monsoon

Old 07-02-2008, 12:08 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,188,887 times
Quote:
who cares really, it's all about personal satisfaction. To each is own. When I travel back home to Michigan I do miss the greenery, water, and......well that's about it. But I am happy to return to PHX. I do not miss bone shattering cold weather, but this extreme heat is no joke. I don't miss raking leaves, cutting grass, & shoveling snow. I enjoy having a virtually maintenence free landscape, but like I said to each is own. To me the weather is just a bonus down here, I came for work, cuz michigan is turning into an economic wasteland
Yes; I make no bones about it, 110F heat with a 50F+ dew point is nasty.......but, that is a tiny price to avoid dealing with an average daytime high of 45F in the winters coupled with humid summers that make Phx look tolerable. I am referring to Wash DC where I was born/raised.

All of that stated: I may wind back up in Kingman in 12-24 months between the summers here (Phx area) and overcrowding.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:30 PM

8,353 posts, read 13,505,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiwei View Post
I have a question:

For a 1st timer spending the summer here, how do I tell monsoon is at my door step? I know about the humidity would steadily increase and dew points get higher days right before it. But, say, if I look up at the sky a few hours before it hits, what would I see?
Last year was my first monsoon and I was excited for it but it really wasn't anything special. After rain humidity and the smell of air kinda reminded me of Texas a bit.
So called rains out here seems to last no longer than an automated car wash, still, it does cool the temperature by 10+ degrees. Last year, it came around towards the end of July and then a week or so into August.
I hope it last longer this Summer.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:01 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,267,391 times
I TOTALLY agree with the poster! Last year was my first summer here and I thought it was tolerable. This year, however, there's just something different and I think it is an increase in humidity. At least, that's what it feels like!

Old 07-02-2008, 02:15 PM

435 posts, read 1,577,368 times
Quote:
This is my second summer here in AZ, and last summer was very tolerable, but it seems like the heat has been getting to me the past couple of weeks. Has the humidity been above normal or something? The dry heat has been like I said much more tolerable than the sticky humidity of the mid-west for me, but lately is seems that hasn't been the case
Former Detroit transplant here myself, now having moved on (thankfully) to elsewhere from Phoenix. What you're experiencing is something familiar to myself and many other former midwesterners who've moved to Phoenix: the progressive disillusionment with the Phoenix summers. At first, you think, "gee, it's not so bad. No humidity, anyway." Then you begin to realize, 4 months into it, without having had any respite from the heat at all save for the monsoon season- which basically just jacks up the humidity and adds to the discomfort- that you're beginning to lose your mind. The heat is just so relentless, even at night, that it no longer matters that it's dry. You're starting to get a massive case of cabin fever, and you just wish there was a cold front, something to break the monotony. The first summer, it's tolerable. The second, it's irritating. By the third, you're climbing the walls. This is the transplanted midwesterner syndrome, and most of us who've moved from a 4-season midwestern climate to PHX have either experienced, or will experience it.

I wake up every day where I am now, and thank God that I escaped that place, to a place where both the weather and the city are much nicer than PHX. And no, I'm not talking about California.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:08 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,188,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
I TOTALLY agree with the poster! Last year was my first summer here and I thought it was tolerable. This year, however, there's just something different and I think it is an increase in humidity. At least, that's what it feels like!
More and more I think about it: maybe because till a few days ago; it was cooler than normal here in Phx most days since last November-------so, the 'normal' temps are something of a shock.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:54 PM

44,667 posts, read 61,774,875 times
According to the weatherman on TV last night we seem to be having more hotter days(we may just break the old record) and less humid days and less rain this year, sorta what the Farmers Almanac predicted last fall for the southwest this summer.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:59 PM

812 posts, read 2,309,684 times
I don't know what it is because I've lived in real humidity so this doesn't bother me at all. I love this weather and I actually sit outside during the day and just relax on my patio and enjoy the heat. Call me crazy, I just enjoy this weather!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area